Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: James Jones talks about the young'uns at WR

James Jones talks about the young'uns at WR

I found these comments interesting:

“All those guys bring great things to the table,” Jones said. “Davante can be special in this league; he had the injury bug last year [with ankle and knee injuries], which kind of messed him up mentally and physically. I expect him to bounce back. Jeff and ‘Abby’ are just extremely smart and extremely athletic guys. I’m excited to see what they’re going to do with a lot of opportunities.

And my sleeper is Ty Montgomery. He’s one of those kids that is going to do everything perfect every time. He’s a perfectionist and he’s going to be where he’s supposed to be when he’s supposed to be [there]. He’s extremely smart [and] they can move him around to numerous positions.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...-rodgers-trust
    Will we finally get to see on the field what MM, AR and Jones have told us about Adams? That he can be "special"?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I found these comments interesting:

Will we finally get to see on the field what MM, AR and Jones have told us about Adams? That he can be "special"?
    Back in the day, where I grew up, being "special" was not considered a good thing. Let's hope that's not what Jones meant.

But seriously, I am the anti-Bretsky on this one. I think Adams will do very well this year. If he stays healthy.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

WR will be one of the most competitive positions in camp this summer. Unless we keep 6 we are gonna lose one good player who will be snapped up pretty quick by another team in late August including Davis should he not make the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    WR will be one of the most competitive positions in camp this summer. Unless we keep 6 we are gonna lose one good player who will be snapped up pretty quick by another team in late August including Davis should he not make the cut.
    They'll keep 6, but even then it will be a tough decision if everybody is healthy.

Locks:

Nelson
    Cobb
    Montgomery

Good bet:

Adams

On the bubble:

Abbrederis
    Janis
    Davis
    Ed Williams

Hoping to make the PS:

Geronimo Allison
    Jamel Johnson
    Herb Waters

You never know:

James Jones

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Janis has to be ahead of everybody except Nelson and Cobb. I very much doubt we will keep 7, so somebody good will be lost. I'm in the "Adams should go" camp - unless they IR Montgomery or Abbrederis gets hurt or Davis turns out to be over-hyped.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Janis has to be ahead of everybody except Nelson and Cobb. I very much doubt we will keep 7, so somebody good will be lost. I'm in the "Adams should go" camp - unless they IR Montgomery or Abbrederis gets hurt or Davis turns out to be over-hyped.
    I really hope they don't waste a spot on Adams. But I'm sure they want to watch him drop passes all season again.

I hope Tex is right. I want to see if Rodgers' head can actually explode with anger on the 7th wrong route in a single game.

Janis' ST performance alone from last year makes him a virtual lock to make the team. Throw in his potential as a WR, and I think he would have to do something extraordinarily bad to be cut coming out of camp.

When MM, Rodgers and now Jones see uncommon potential in Adams, he will be given another year to prove himself. His rookie year was fine. They won't give up on him from just what happened last year.

Nelson, Cobb, Montgomery, Adams are locks. Davis, Janis, Abby are virtual locks. They keep seven unless one of them gets IR'ed or PUPed.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Janis' ST performance alone from last year makes him a virtual lock to make the team. Throw in his potential as a WR, and I think he would have to do something extraordinarily bad to be cut coming out of camp.

When MM, Rodgers and now Jones see uncommon potential in Adams, he will be given another year to prove himself. His rookie year was fine. They won't give up on him from just what happened last year.
    Janis is not going anywhere. Patler is right. Janis is a special teams ace and his performance on ST alone guarantees his spot.

It would be great if Janis could step up and be the #3 WR. I just don't see it happening. Last year he should have been on the field a lot with all of the injuries and wasn't. There has to be a reason for that.

And before the MM critics start throwing out the, "He only plays the guys the Pack drafts high" line; let's not even go there. Football is a results business. Too many losses caused by starting certain players and you lose your job.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

janis role will be the same as last year. st and one of the last wrs to get on the field.

Agreed. He had a bad wheel most of the season and clearly wasn't ready to fill Jordy's shoes. I doubt they'll give up on a 2nd round pick this soon.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Agreed. He had a bad wheel most of the season and clearly wasn't ready to fill Jordy's shoes. I doubt they'll give up on a 2nd round pick this soon.
    +1 Fans are annoyed by sophomore slumps, but there are reasons vs. excuses. If the receiving corps stays healthy, I see no reason he can't have the kind of production seen in 2014 with some increased production at that. I want them all to make the decision maker's jobs hard coming out of camp. Who doesn't want the Packer's investment to pay off?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

What is a "+1 Fan"?

Adams at the best he could possibly be has a lower ceiling than Janis. It's speculative but probable that Adams at his best has a lower ceiling than Montgomery, Abbrederis, and Davis also. Those last three and I suppose even Janis still need to prove what they can do - as does Adams. I hope it's open competition - no favoritism for the former second round pick.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I'm having trouble seeing them keep 7WRs on the roster...I could see them PUP-ing Montgomery and waiting for Abby to get hurt by the time Ty gets activated. I think they'll keep 1-2 WRs on the PS. Janis and Davis will make the roster, but Adams is the #3 until someone unseats him. I think Janis will see more snaps, but it would take a huge leap for him to be the #3WR.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I'm having trouble seeing them keep 7WRs on the roster...I could see them PUP-ing Montgomery and waiting for Abby to get hurt by the time Ty gets activated. I think they'll keep 1-2 WRs on the PS. Janis and Davis will make the roster, but Adams is the #3 until someone unseats him. I think Janis will see more snaps, but it would take a huge leap for him to be the #3WR.
    I, too, have a difficult time finding room for 7 WRs on the roster, especially with all the OL they may want to keep. Tretter, Spriggs, Murphy, Taylor, Rotheram, even a resurgent Barclay could be difficult cuts with all the FAs they will have next year. If it comes down to a 7th WR or a 10th OL, I think I would go with the OL. Rotheram could be the backup center in 2017 if Tretter leaves, or even a starter at guard if Sitton/Lang leaves. Taylor could be a 2017 starter, too. Spriggs and Murphy could be the starting OTs if Bakhtiari leaves and Bulaga is hurt again

I can see 10 OL on the roster more easily than 7 WRs.

10 OL (starters + Tretter, Spriggs, Taylor, Rotheram and either Murphy or Barclay)
    3 RB
    1 FB
    2 QB
    3 TE
    6 WR

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    What is a "+1 Fan"?

Adams at the best he could possibly be has a lower ceiling than Janis. It's speculative but probable that Adams at his best has a lower ceiling than Montgomery, Abbrederis, and Davis also. Those last three and I suppose even Janis still need to prove what they can do - as does Adams. I hope it's open competition - no favoritism for the former second round pick.
    I suspect Carolina meant he agreed with my post. If so he prob should have put more spaces inbetween + and the word Fan.

if he can just stay out of the concussion protocol.

Hopefully, Janis is making progress:

1. Jeff Janis is coming

At this point, it seems clear the former seventh-round receiver will enter training camp locked in a battle to be quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ third option behind Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb.

If talent wins, Janis will earn that role. When it comes to raw size and speed, there really isn’t much comparison between Janis and other young receivers on the roster. The Packers continually threw deep to Janis in team drills, and he continually beat the likes of cornerbacks Sam Shields and Damarious Randall, and safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

The only thing that can get in his way — and it has been a big hurdle — is lack of chemistry and trust with Rodgers. Janis has to be reliable. He has to prove he’ll be in the right place on the field when he’s supposed to be there. If he cuts out the mistakes, he has a real chance to carve a role for himself in the Packers' passing game.

Coaches have to be intrigued with the possibility of Nelson and Janis stretching the field deep on the perimeter with Cobb working underneath.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...gram/86041632/