Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Perfect storm brewing for TT to make a TRADE?

Perfect storm brewing for TT to make a TRADE?

The Packers have somewhat a glut of OL. OL are always in demand, and GB could be in a position of having to release a guy they would normally keep.

Tretter may not have a future in GB, with Linsley the starter at center. He seems a bit light for guard, so could be behind both Taylor and Rotheram as possible replacements at guard if Sitton or Lang leaves. The two rookies diminish his value as a backup tackle this year.

Rotheram is working at center this off season. If he can be an adequate backup for Linsley, trading Tretter at the end of training camp could be a possibility.

Another possibility for a trade is Barclay. He had a miserable 2015 coming back from the ACL surgery, but he has significant starting experience during which he was tolerable. If he can bounce back this year, he could be worth a 7th round pick to someone.

They could trade both and still have 9 OL.

We might make a trade especially if a team loses a starting O lineman this summer. It would be nice to get something more than just a compensatory draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    We might make a trade especially if a team loses a starting O lineman this summer. It would be nice to get something more than just a compensatory draft pick.
    ...and any draft pick would like be for 2017, a compensatory pick not until 2018, but the player would leave a year earlier, too. The main thing for me is they will likely cut at least 1, and possibly two OL who can likely make another roster. If they do, they will get nothing in return. It would be nice to get something.

Getting something for Barclay would be nice, and I'm sure he could start somewhere in the league. If Spriggs did well at the OTAs and can at least back up the tackle positions, Barclay becomes expendable.

There are more 'ifs...' when it comes to Tretter. If Rotheram picks up the center position, and Linsley was held out of OTAs, so if he's healthy. He's also going into his 4th season with only 3 starts.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

I doubt Barclay has any trade value. The guy was a UFA and ended up resigning with the Packers with little or no guaranteed money, so there was obviously no interest out there for him. He was rated 76th out of 77 OTs last year by PFF. He gave up 9 sacks and played less than 1/3 of the offensive snaps.

Keep Tretter. They likely wouldn't get THAT much for him, and I'd rather have the comfort of him being a top backup. Plus, things change. Linsley could get a career ending injury this year. If that were to happen, it would be nice to be able to plug in Tretter. It's even a slight possibility that one of the two could replace Sitton or Lang at OG next year.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I doubt Barclay has any trade value. The guy was a UFA and ended up resigning with the Packers with little or no guaranteed money, so there was obviously no interest out there for him. He was rated 76th out of 77 OTs last year by PFF. He gave up 9 sacks and played less than 1/3 of the offensive snaps.

Keep Tretter. They likely wouldn't get THAT much for him, and I'd rather have the comfort of him being a top backup. Plus, things change. Linsley could get a career ending injury this year. If that were to happen, it would be nice to be able to plug in Tretter. It's even a slight possibility that one of the two could replace Sitton or Lang at OG next year.
    Barclay needs to look different in preseason than he did last year to stick anywhere. That's why I put it in terms of him having a comeback, of sorts. In 2013 he was a guy you could get by with. If he starts looking that way again, he could be worth a 7th to a team really hurting at tackle. If Barclay looks no different than last year, he will be released and may be at the end of his career.

Tretter is an interesting situation. First, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that he could take over the starting job from Linsley. Even when not injured, Linsley seemed to come back to earth a little from his rookie year performance. Absent that, Tretter is gone at the end of this year anyway, and they might have four other young guys they would like to keep. If they all show good potential, I would hate to lose one who might soon be starting at guard or tackle just to keep a backup center for a year.

Of course, they can solve my concerns by keeping 10 OL.

ProFootballWeekly has Green Bay's OL ranked as the 15th best in the NFL. Last year, PFW had them ranked 21st.

It's an average line, that produces average results - the backups have very little if any trade value. And Bacteria?? He needs to be replaced - hopefully Spriggs will move into that spot next year.
    wist

Tretter probably doesn't fetch more than a 6 or 7. Having the insurance of a fourth starting interior lineman for a year is worth at least that, or more if the rest of the offense can prove that last year was just a glitch. And I am assuming Tretter is starter quality, but the small body of empirical evidence is what prevents Packers from getting better compensation in a trade.

For the person who thinks the Packers line is average, which 15 lines would you rather see for this particular team?

I think it's an above average line when healthy. Last year they weren't. I think they keep Tretter unless someone bowls them over with an offer, and he walks after the season. He's good enough to be a starting center in this league, why wouldn't he sign somewhere that he can start and play? Barclay is on very thin ice, and I think he's basically insurance at this point. Do they really lose much if he gets beaten out by another player and is cut?
    Rotheram, Walker and Taylor are guards. Not sure if Walker can play RT, and Rotheram is trying to learn C to be a swing guy like Tretter.

I'll say this much: if Sitton and Lang both go a la Wahle/Rivera, at least there are players in the pipeline who will get a shot at starting.

I don't think any of Barclay/Tretter/etc. would fetch more than a R6 or R7 just because a team can hold out for roster cuts or dig up some fossil on their last legs like the Packers did with Jeff Saturday.

the o line is always hurt/short handed. wouldn't trade anyone. would be great to go one year without a major injury. <sigh>

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    For the person who thinks the Packers line is average, which 15 lines would you rather see for this particular team?
    I haven't even really looked at other lines much... just reporting where PFW has them ranked.

Arizona and Dallas come to mind immediately, but knowing what we have I find it entirely plausible that there are at least 14 other OL's better than ours. We went 2-5-1 with Rodgers out, and we went 5-7 after the bye last year with Rodgers under center. Sorry, but that is not the stuff that the "2nd best roster in the league" is made of.
    wist

I have to agree with Wist on this. Rodgers always seemed to be on the run to avoid a pass rush. Run blocking was a little better last year, but way too often our RB got caught in the backfield before he could even take a step or two and get going. It'll be interesting when what passes for top quality either gets paid top dollar or walks. I hope Spriggs is special and the other rookie and "what's in the pipeline" pan out. I'm really not sure Ted signs our FAs, and I'm really not sure I want him to.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

It's a good OL. When healthy, it's top 10. I still think Bakh is the weakness, but he's improved and he's probably close to average now. I think the point is health. Yes, they weren't a top 10 OL last year, but they were the year before. Last year, the team kept having to adjust to injuries. It seemed that a lot of the OL fought through injuries last year and didn't play up to their normal standards.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    See PFF.Com....or look for Harvey's response.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I don't want to see us lose Tretter or Barclay. Barclay was a good rookie. Some guys take a full year after knee injury. We need to be ready to lose Lang and or Sitton next year. I think Tretter would make a darn solid LG. Walker might be a player at G. Barclay I want to see what he does. This is the year to judge him......

I like the depth, but our two Gs are older. 10 OL this year isn't the worst thing. Maybe a TC injury makes it easy.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I don't want to see us lose Tretter or Barclay. Barclay was a good rookie. Some guys take a full year after knee injury. We need to be ready to lose Lang and or Sitton next year. I think Tretter would make a darn solid LG. Walker might be a player at G. Barclay I want to see what he does. This is the year to judge him......

I like the depth, but our two Gs are older. 10 OL this year isn't the worst thing. Maybe a TC injury makes it easy.
    I agree, and hope they keep 10, but that still leaves a possible trade because they possibly have 11 of at least backup quality. No way will they keep 11. Because of the Lang/Sitton contracts, they almost have to keep control of the two guards, Taylor and Rotheram (assuming he builds on his solid 1st year). Spriggs isn't going anywhwere, which leaves Tretter, Murphy and Barclay for two spots to make up 10. If no one seems capable at center, Tretter is assured a spot, and may be anyway. If they can get Murphy to PS they can keep all 11, but that might be tough.

Tretter is available to trade only if Rotheram shows ability at center. Otherwise, it probably comes down to Murhy and Barcaly for the 10th spot, which will go to Murphy unles Barclay is clearly better, Tie goes to the rookie.

Blog Entries
    These are good ideas and a good thread; in my mind I also ponder if we are not more likely to trade a WR over an OL. I think Tretter has great value to this team and I'd be disappointed if we deal him without getting something very good back in return. He can be decent at many spots and that has huge value
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I think I usually overvalue the Packer backups. I'd like to see them get something for Barclay, but I don't believe that any NFL GM would give up so much as a waterboy and a beer vendor for him. I'd like them to keep Tretter for the year - that injury thing. He'd be great because he can play center or tackle.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I'm working fully off memory here, but Barclay was serviceable as a rookie and horrendous last year. Like Newhouse bad. He really needs to show something in camp or the cut is easy.