Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who is the Packers' "Sleeper" Pick?

Who is the Packers' "Sleeper" Pick?

The National Football Post is doing a series of articles, by divisions, to identify the "sleeper" pick on each team. Their definition is the third day draft choice having the biggest impact, so we are looking at rounds 4-7. They have not yet gotten to the NFC North, but I suspect it is their next article since they have done AFC East, NFC East and now AFC North.

So, who will the Packers "sleeper" be? Martinez seems to be the logical choice, since he is a decently ranked player playing the position and having the skills corresponding to a significant team need.

Keep in mind they aren't looking at impact this year, but looking back at the draft years later.

Any support for Lowry, Davis or Murphy looking at it 5 years from now?

I perceive that people have really high expectations for Blake Martinez. He is mentioned as much as any rookie on the radio. Probably because it's a position of need. Everyone says he quite articulate and a great interview, too, so I think that adds a bit to it.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I would be expecting one of the Stanford guys to make an impact sooner or later.

I hope it's Martinez but I think it will be Davis.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Davis

Davis and before camp is over he needs a moniker. His name is too generic. Maybe we call him TD?

Certainly not! Too many flashbacks of Terrell (TD) Davis running wild over a winded GB defense in Super Bowl XXXII.

Short term it will be Martinez simply because he will probably be on the field more than the others. He plays a position of need, and could start as a rookie. Davis may be no more than the #6 WR this year.

Fackrell.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
    Fackrell.
    3rd round pick

Murphy and Lowry seem like good depth players long-term. High floor, low ceiling.

I'll take Martinez over Davis.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    Certainly not! Too many flashbacks of Terrell (TD) Davis running wild over a winded GB defense in Super Bowl XXXII.
    Damn you're right. Back to the drawing board.

One of the undrafted free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    One of the undrafted free agents.
    Not a bad pick, but it doesn't count unless you give us a name!

Brian Price

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Mike Sherman, the Ultimate Sleeper

All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Mike Sherman, the Ultimate Sleeper

Should have seen that one coming!

I like Lowry as a sleeper because teams seemed to have allowed the short arms thing to distract them from the excellent tape the player had produced, including the amazing fact that he got those short arms on the football a total of fourteen times over his career with deflections, batted passes and picks. Not bad for a guy who could have a career in the sideshows as the Alligator Boy.

Like Martinez who went just before him, Lowry may get considerable playing time early in his rookie season and then give the coaches no reason not to give him more. He is a smart and active football player who--in a way--went where he was "supposed" to go because he has the same arm length as guys six inches shorter than he is. But the tape suggests he has the tools to be a highly productive player.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Fackrell - with Matthews back on the outside and getting a lot of attention, the guy giving Peppers relief on the other side should have a golden opportunity - if in fact that's where he ends up.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Fackrell - with Matthews back on the outside and getting a lot of attention, the guy giving Peppers relief on the other side should have a golden opportunity - if in fact that's where he ends up.
    Not eligible. "Sleepers" are to be last day draft picks, 4th round or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Not eligible. "Sleepers" are to be last day draft picks, 4th round or later.
    Yeah, I suppose you could draw the line there. 6th or 7th round better yet, as those 3rd and 4th rounders are pretty much expected to be good. My standard, though, would be exceeding expectations. If you want a very low round or UDFA pick who IMO is most likely to make the team, it is Mortell, the punter. Also, a real long shot is a name I was surprised to see on the tryout list that I had a high opinion of in college: Gary Nova of Rutgers - probably just a camp QB, but IMO as likely as Callahan or Williams to be the 3rd/practice squad QB.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?