Thread: Matthews and Peppers battling the league over Al-Jezeera article

Matthews and Peppers battling the league over Al-Jezeera article

This article makes it sound like things are not amicable between the League and the players:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...384300901.html

"On January 11, 2016, the league notified Messrs. Peppers, Neal, Matthews and Harrison that it had initiated an investigation following the airing of the Al-Jazeera America documentary, which raised serious issues concerning their possible violation of the NFL/NFLPA Policy on Performance-Enhancing Substances," Birch's letter said. "The players were further advised that, with their full and timely cooperation, the investigation would be conducted expeditiously and with minimal disruption.

"While the investigation has proceeded, we have yet to interview the players. We have attempted since early April to work through the NFLPA to schedule them, but despite multiple requests the NFLPA has failed to respond, except to seek reconsideration of the basis for the investigation. This continuing delay and avoidance has obstructed our ability to conduct and conclude the investigation.

"In fairness to all, including the players involved, we must move forward with the interviews. Accordingly, this will advise that the interviews of Messrs. Peppers, Matthews and Harrison will be scheduled for the first day of their respective training camps, and the interview of Mr. Neal (free agent) will take place on or before July 22.

I read it as the players union does not accept an article where the principle source has recanted as a reason to start an investigation.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    I read it as the players union does not accept an article where the principle source has recanted as a reason to start an investigation.
    As did I, but the result is Peppers and Matthews, through their union, so far have not cooperated in the NFL's investigation and have resisted interviews by the league. I know the union is concerned with precedent setting, but cooperating and disposing of any issue sometimes is best.

Unless, of course, there is fire where the smoke came from for at least one of the players involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    As did I, but the result is Peppers and Matthews, through their union, so far have not cooperated in the NFL's investigation and have resisted interviews by the league. I know the union is concerned with precedent setting, but cooperating and disposing of any issue sometimes is best.

Unless, of course, there is fire where the smoke came from for at least one of the players involved.
    I think the players are getting quite tired of ole' Roger's games. He's really bad at his job and makes more than any player makes by far. Why would they show him or his office any respect?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

i think we need to prepare for at least somewhat of a chance, that we may be without our 2 OLB's for at least some part of the season

it doesn't look good when 3 of the 6 or so players named are packer OLBs

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    What does an interview do at that point? Clay and Peppers will say that they didn't use PEDs and the league will have a source that said it made the story up.

If Clay and Peppers haven't failed a drug test yet it seems ridiculous. This isn't like Braun or the Starcaps Vikings where there were positive tests and the players are trying legal maneuvers to get out of punishment.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

An interview allows the league to say, "We have investigated and have found no evidence on which to proceed.". It exonerates the players, which is a good thing if the article was indeed false. Doing nothing leaves a cloud over the players, and the three Packers especially since both Peppers and Neal have previous suspension, and rumors swirled around Matthews coming out of college.

The league had little choice but to investigate, and investigate with some appearance of thoroughness. If the players are innocent, they should welcome it. I suspect at least one player is not so innocent, and the others are caught in the backwash.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/16...-roger-goodell

I really do think the players are making a point of this, more than they normally would.

An interview gets everyone on record. So if there are subsequent revelations, all statements are in play. That is on pretty solid logical ground.

What is highly questionable is the level of seriousness to give to this complaint. If its just a recanted interview (and no records*), then just where do you draw the line on unsubstantiated claims made publicly?

* something that may not apply to Peyton Manning, who along with Neal, seemed to have an established relationship with on or more people at this clinic.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/16...-roger-goodell

I really do think the players are making a point of this, more than they normally would.
    Ok, but that Neanderthal causing shit doesn't count, he is also the one that said he wouldn't piss on Goodel if he was on fire! Shit disturber, but you have to love the guy. Crazy enough to make me wonder if he and 'the comish' are actually engaging in some Stone Cold/Vince McMahon style kayfabe!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    An interview gets everyone on record. So if there are subsequent revelations, all statements are in play. That is on pretty solid logical ground.

What is highly questionable is the level of seriousness to give to this complaint. If its just a recanted interview (and no records*), then just where do you draw the line on unsubstantiated claims made publicly?

* something that may not apply to Peyton Manning, who along with Neal, seemed to have an established relationship with on or more people at this clinic.
    Basically the interview is a no-win situation for the player. An innocent player is dragged through the mud again, and guilty players either have to admit, based on no real evidence, or deny and face a double penalty for lying to the NFL if more evidence comes out.

Let's face it, other than punters and kickers, is there anyone in the NFL that you'd be stunned to find was juicing, so even a false accusation is damaging, particularly to endorsements.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 6m6 minutes ago
    .@NFL announces it found “no credible evidence that Peyton Manning was provided with or used HGH or others prohibited by league’s PED policy

Manning cleared.

No one else though.

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero
    NFL release confirms investigation continues into Peppers/Matthews/Neal/Harrison, "which involve different lines of inquiry and witnesses."
    Last edited by pbmax; 07-25-2016 at 11:22 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 6m6 minutes ago
    .@NFL announces it found “no credible evidence that Peyton Manning was provided with or used HGH or others prohibited by league’s PED policy

Manning cleared.

No one else though.

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero
    NFL release confirms investigation continues into Peppers/Matthews/Neal/Harrison, "which involve different lines of inquiry and witnesses."
    Peppers et al tried submitting a written signed affidavit to the NFL regarding the inquiry. The NFL said no go we still want to interview.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Peppers et al tried submitting a written signed affidavit to the NFL regarding the inquiry. The NFL said no go we still want to interview.
    The NFL is dancing around saying whether or not Peyton had an interview.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

I hope the NFL exonerated Manning because of a lack of evidence but I suspect it was because they can't touch him now that he is retired. The sad thing is - even if Peppers, CM3 and Neal are cleared just having their names in this 'report' will cause some folks to believe they cheat no matter what evidence comes to light.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is why it should be allowed. If all are allowed to do it there is no advantage. Shit, these guys aren't brain surgeons. Let me juice. That's what most fans over 40 grew up watching anyways right?

Crap is like some WWF, I mean WWE, staged bullshit drama. Good guys and villains.