Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2016 NFL Rule Book and Changes

2016 NFL Rule Book and Changes

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-book-online/

PDF of Rulebook: https://nflcommunications.com/media/...20Rulebook.pdf

Highlighted changes:
    1. It is now a delay of game penalty if a team is erroneously granted a timeout.

2. The offensive and defensive play callers can use the coach-to-helmet communications system regardless of whether the coach is in the booth or on the sideline.

3. There is no longer a five-yard penalty for illegally touching a pass after being out of bounds and then re-establishing inbounds, but it is a loss of down.

4. The line of scrimmage for extra point kicks is permanently the 15-yard line.

5. Touchbacks on kickoffs are now moved to the 25-yard line.

6. All chop blocks are illegal.

7. The horse-collar tackle rule now includes a defender grabbing the jersey at the name plate or above.

8. A player who gets two fouls for certain kinds of unsportsmanlike conduct is automatically ejected.

9. Multiple spots of enforcement for a double foul after a change of possession have been eliminated.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Well, that was short lived. Only a media member with login credentials can get access.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I tried "patler@packerrats.com". It didn't work.

We really should petition to be credentialed. With all the reporting, breakdowns, and digital publishing we do.

The obvious question is, why would they restrict access to it? Why wouldn't the NFL make their rule book and related materials available to anyone who wants it?

Your first link still took me to a pdf of the rule book. I just tried it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Your first link still took me to a pdf of the rule book. I just tried it now.
    Report to your nearest Department of Homeland Security office for immediate debriefing
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-book-online/

PDF of Rulebook: https://nflcommunications.com/media/...20Rulebook.pdf

[I]5. Touchbacks on kickoffs are now moved to the 25-yard line.
    At what point do they just eliminate returns altogether?

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    At what point do they just eliminate returns altogether?
    They seem to be making somewhat contradictory changes. Moving the kickoff up increased touchbacks, moving the result of a touchback will encourage kicking teams to kick shorter, force a return, and tackle the player inside the 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    They seem to be making somewhat contradictory changes. Moving the kickoff up increased touchbacks, moving the result of a touchback will encourage kicking teams to kick shorter, force a return, and tackle the player inside the 25.
    I agree. I still don't understand the reason for that change.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I agree. I still don't understand the reason for that change.
    We did see a lot of kicks returned from the endzone, even five yards deep quite often. This might encourage teams to take the touchback whenever a kick is in the endzone, so it might reduce the number of returns, but only if teams still kick for distance.

If I am the Packers ST coach, with a guy like Crosby who has always been good kicking to the corners short of the goal line, I would do it almost every time.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Heck, just sky the kickoff as much as possible and use the punter while you're at it. There's no fair catches on kickoffs so have it come down around the 20 and let the best team win at getting the ball. If the punter can keep it in the air for 5+ seconds (which they should be able to do with no rush coming at them) and have it come down around the 15-20 yard line, the players have time to get their bodies down there to crash into somebody. Be just like a big onside kick.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Heck, just sky the kickoff as much as possible and use the punter while you're at it. There's no fair catches on kickoffs so have it come down around the 20 and let the best team win at getting the ball. If the punter can keep it in the air for 5+ seconds (which they should be able to do with no rush coming at them) and have it come down around the 15-20 yard line, the players have time to get their bodies down there to crash into somebody. Be just like a big onside kick.
    That is exactly what people are expecting. Packers use that short kickoff to one corner or the other at times.

7. The horse-collar tackle rule now includes a defender grabbing the jersey at the name plate or above.

lol this is going to win games for teams

You can call for a fair catch on the kickoff.

I don't think you can punt on a kickoff.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Other than that it was a great idea.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    You can call for a fair catch on the kickoff.
    Yup, that is why kickers hit the ball into the turf on onside kicks instead of just hitting pop ups.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Well, that was big derp on my part.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Good luck 2017 NFL Refs, Back, Side and Field judges.

Kevin SeifertVerified account
    ‏@SeifertESPN
    Keep this passage handy from the 2016 NFL rule book. It's the updated version of the... http://es.pn/29xaqnH