Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2016 Training Camp Thread

Official 2016 Training Camp Thread

Players report Monday July 25.

First practice Tuesday July 26

Schedule: http://www.packers.com/news-and-even...-schedule.html

Family Night Sunday July 31

4 evening practices, including 3 during the 2nd week of practice.

Some things to watch for:

Will Jordy be the Jordy of old, or will he be old Jordy?

Has Lacy won the Battle Of The Bulge?

When will we see Ty Montgomery?

Will Arod throw to Janis?

Reports of DickRod being slimmed down. Will he be quicker?

Will Spriggs push Bakhtiari at LT?

Will a slimmed-down Sitton be quicker? Will he be weaker?

Will Kenny Clark look like an instant contributor?

Will the ILB's look ready to play without CMIII?

Will the young CB's look like they've made the coveted 2nd year jump?

My biggest wishes are that the defense plays better in crucial games. That Janis learns more than one route and that Rogers actually trusts him.

I'm thinking about heading over on Saturday.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Opening Press Conference: News is not good on offense, M3 has gone 3/4 Schottenheimer. I hope he is just blowing PR smoke. Rodgers and Nelson are good enough to make this work, but the offense will not hum like 2011 or 2014 with just an emphasis on fundamentals.

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13
    McCarthy said the coaches "took a hard look" at the offense after 2015. "We need to be much better offensively in the area of fundamentals."

Doug Farrar ‏@BR_DougFarrar
    Fundamentals worked in 1979. In 2016, vs multiple disguised coverages, man/zone hybrids, you have to scheme WR open.

And the rest chronologically:

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 53m53 minutes ago
    McCarthy: No update on who will/won't practice tomorrow. #PackersCamp

WON'T KNOW UNTIL LATER TODAY AFTER PHYSICALS

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 49m49 minutes ago
    McCarthy: Our veteran group could be one of the best ones we've had. #PackersCamp

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 47m47 minutes ago
    McCarthy on HOF Game: Creates another challenge for your team, which I'm excited about. Excited to see how they respond.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 48m48 minutes ago
    McCarthy said the installation phase won't be completed by the time the #Packers play in the Hall of Fame game.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 46m46 minutes ago
    The extended training camp allows the #Packers to do more with cross training and competitive measures in the classroom and on the field.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 44m44 minutes ago
    McCarthy on the investigation of Matthews and Peppers: "I have no reason to be concerned based on the conversations that I've been part of."

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 43m43 minutes ago
    McCarthy on Greg Jennings' retirement: Excellent football player, obviously a Super Bowl champion. Lot of great memories from his time here.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 39m39 minutes ago
    McCarthy on #Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: "He's in great shape. I would say this is the best shape I've seen him in."

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 35m35 minutes ago
    McCarthy on Rodgers-Nelson: We're all confident, Aaron & Jordy included, that they're going to get (chemistry) back. #PackersCamp

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 57m57 minutes ago
    McCarthy on centers. Will it be a battle? Says Tretter is excellent and is viewed as starter. "No reason" to not consider Linsley a starter.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 54m54 minutes ago
    McCarthy said team will go in pads on Thursday.
    Last edited by pbmax; 07-25-2016 at 11:36 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 52m52 minutes ago
    MM on another camp: "This is exciting. You're talking about the NFL, the Green Bay Packers. We like the opportunity that's in front of us."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 51m51 minutes ago
    Does offense need to be fixed? Took hard look at it. Will go back to basics. "We need to be much better (with) fundamentals."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 51m51 minutes ago
    "It's about winning the world championship. It's part of our every-day fiber."

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 49m49 minutes ago
    McCarthy on Aaron Rodgers: "I think he's lined up for a great year. ... I'd say this is the best shape I've seen him in" #Packers
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I have to go watch the Bill Simmons interview with Rodgers apparently. I can't forgive Rodgers for making me do that.

Peter Bukowski ‏@Peter_Bukowski 52m52 minutes ago
    Peter Bukowski Retweeted Michael Cohen
    Avert your eyes @BR_DougFarrarPeter Bukowski added,

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13
    McCarthy said the coaches "took a hard look" at the offense after 2015. "We need to be much better offensively in the area of fundamentals."

Doug Farrar ‏@BR_DougFarrar 48m48 minutes ago
    @Peter_Bukowski Not surprised, really. He seems intent on doubling down on this.

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 21m21 minutes ago
    @BR_DougFarrar @Peter_Bukowski the difficulty is whether or not he is into "scheming it up" as you," he can't/shouldn't say anything now

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 20m20 minutes ago
    @BR_DougFarrar @Peter_Bukowski not that I expect many schematic wrinkles. Did you watch Rodgers on Bill Simmons extra time? He talked about

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 20m20 minutes ago
    @BR_DougFarrar @Peter_Bukowski how he pushes simpler is better to his coaches, cited Peyton's O with Indy with Harrison/Wayne on same sides

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 19m19 minutes ago
    @BR_DougFarrar @Peter_Bukowski out executing opponents, etc. Was interesting

Peter Bukowski ‏@Peter_Bukowski 18m18 minutes ago
    @smartfootball @BR_DougFarrar I did see that. Rodgers has always been a preparation/execution guy. They didn't have the horses last year.

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 16m16 minutes ago
    @Peter_Bukowski @BR_DougFarrar don't disagree. Execution works better with healthy Lacy/Cobb/Nelson than James Jones/Devante Adams, but

Chris B. Brown
    ‏@smartfootball
    @Peter_Bukowski @BR_DougFarrar thought it was interesting. Trick is, as always, to focus on execution but get defense off heels somehow

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 15m15 minutes ago
    @Peter_Bukowski @BR_DougFarrar (varying tempos, formations/shifts/motions, personnel groups, etc).

Aaron Nagler ‏@AaronNagler 6m6 minutes ago
    @smartfootball @Peter_Bukowski @BR_DougFarrar Spot on, Chris.

Peter Bukowski ‏@Peter_Bukowski 15m15 minutes ago
    @smartfootball @BR_DougFarrar Yeah I think Doug's biggest thing was one Nelson goes down, Lacy looks out of shape how do you adapt? GB didnt

And we are off!!

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 3m3 minutes ago
    Jordy Nelson, Jared Cook will start camp on PUP list
    https://t.co/hVcYL6gkQn

Also Barrington, Lang, Linsley and Monty.

Rob Demovsky
    ESPN Staff Writer
    Jordy Nelson, Jared Cook, Sam Barrington, T.J. Lang, Corey Linsley and Ty Montgomery all will start training camp on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list, per a source. They won't be on the field for tomorrow morning's first practice.
    Last edited by pbmax; 07-25-2016 at 05:45 PM.

BTW, this is why signing free agents is a fool's errand.

Is this really an indication of lingering injuries for these players? Or just some technicality - some reason it's advantageous to put them on the PUP list? Just asking - can anybody clarify that?
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Is this really an indication of lingering injuries for these players? Or just some technicality - some reason it's advantageous to put them on the PUP list? Just asking - can anybody clarify that?
    A few technical reasons players are sometimes listed on PUP to start camp:

1. To go on PUP at the start of the season, a player has to have been on PUP for all of training camp, so if there is any inkling that a player might be a PUP candidate at the start of the season, they go on PUP now. A couple years ago the Packers go burned with a player who started the camp on the active roster, only to drop out after a day due to a lingering injury; but then was ineligible for PUP at the start of the season. Now they seem to give themselves time to evaluate players for a couple days to make sure they are 100% ready to go. The medical staff can work them hard for a couple days and see how they respond.

2. With all they players coming to town at once, the medical staff doesn't have time to go over players extensively. In view of #1 above, they put all who were rehabbing significant injuries on PUP so they can examine them more thoroughly over the next couple days. Sometimes you see players come off PUP the next day, after tests are completed.

3. You have to remember, everyone has been away for the last month or so, and the medical staff may not have any info on these guys since June. They have to make certain there have been no setbacks in their recoveries.

Photographic evidence that Eddie Lacy exists, is not Sasquatch and might be in shape, from Michael Cohen.

This is the side of the field for the PUP players to work on rehab.

Last edited by pbmax; 07-26-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Rob Demovsky
    ESPN Staff Writer

Eddie Lacy is back after another round of work with training guru Tony Horton. Looks more trim that he did this spring when he weighed in the 240s.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 15m15 minutes ago
    Some injured players who are back today are McCray, Rollins, Daniel and Thomas.

MCCARTY PRE-PRACTICE PC

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 55m55 minutes ago
    McCarthy: Six players placed on PUP. Dr. McKenzie has no long-term concerns with any of the players. Caution at the start of #PackersCamp

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 54m54 minutes ago
    McCarthy: Nelson has a workout program. No long term concerns. I think all six will be in training camp at some point.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 53m53 minutes ago
    McCarthy: want to see young players pick up where they left off. Want to see WR group jump out there.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 53m53 minutes ago
    McCarthy wants to see receiver group jump out. Aggressive fundamental work. Route-running, some newly-implemented drills. #PackersCamp

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 52m52 minutes ago
    McCarthy: We'll continue to move Clay around. He's an impact player. Need to give him opportunities to make impact plays. #PackersCamp

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 51m51 minutes ago
    McCarthy: Eddie is ready. I'm done talking about people's weight. I felt like I gave an honest answer (last time).

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 51m51 minutes ago
    McCarthy: LB Blake Martinez did a heck of a job in spring. He stood out. He picked things up seamlessly. #PackersCamp

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 50m50 minutes ago
    McCarthy: Preliminary game plan ready for Indy. More about what we're focused on working on as opposed to beating Colts. #PackersCamp

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 47m47 minutes ago
    McCarthy: Have to pay close attention to the QBs. Definitely aware of how many throws Rodgers takes each and every practice. #PackersCamp

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 7s8 seconds ago
    With Corey Linsley hurt, there are four players taking reps at center with the QBs: Tretter, Rotheram, Flores, Barclay. #Packers

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 18m18 minutes ago
    Jordy Nelson, Ty Montgomery and Sam Barrington are here watching practice. Haven't seen T.J. Lang, Corey Linsley or Jared Cook.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 15m15 minutes ago
    Cook is out here watching now. #Packers

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 38m38 minutes ago
    Here's Eddie Lacy in fundamental drills. Looks tad thinner than at last minicamp

No wonder coaches hate the new practice regulations:

Quote Originally Posted by JSO
    There are 16 practices. Five preseason games. Forty days until final cuts.
    16 practices? That's it? It really doesn't give rookies much of an opportunity to impress.
    I remember the days of nearly two months of training camp, 6 preseason games and two-a-day practices for all but the last week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    No wonder coaches hate the new practice regulations:

16 practices? That's it? It really doesn't give rookies much of an opportunity to impress.
    I remember the days of nearly two months of training camp, 6 preseason games and two-a-day practices for all but the last week or two.
    And that is the extended practice with the HOF game.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 4m4 minutes ago
    Cobb goes up to haul in a beautiful 29 yard pass from Rodgers #PackersCamp

LONGEST COMPLETION TO RECEIVER OTHER THAN JANIS SINCE HAIL MARY IN DETROIT

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 7m7 minutes ago
    Adams, Cobb and Janis the three WRs. Abby next up.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 8m8 minutes ago
    First punting of camp, neither punter stands out, tho punting into breeze. Masthay 35.2 avg on 4 punts, Mortell 36.6

Thanks for the updates. I have been to camp several times and had a great time each time. I'm a little bothered about the PUP list but not over anxious. Sure hope the team can absorb whatever injuries come this way this year.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 1h1 hour ago
    Abbrederis schools Gunter with a short catch, jab step and break to the post.

ABBY 1, OCTOPUS 0

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 1h1 hour ago
    Peppers doesn't appear to be doing any 11 on 11 today, at least not so far

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 1h1 hour ago
    Nick Perry has been in his place at OLB. #Packers

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 1h1 hour ago
    Datone Jones getting some push from OLB spot. Squeezed pocket twice today

CAN HE PLAY ILB?

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 2h2 hours ago
    HENRY Rollins BAND great job locking up Cobb 1 on 1 on Rodgers scramble.

CB Damarious Randall getting a lot of reps in the slot. Didn't play there last year.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 2h2 hours ago
    Rollins getting work outside

Biggest play in no huddle was Hundley scramble throw to Wr Herb Waters for 50.

WHICH DIVISION RIVAL WILL BE MADDEST IF THE PACKERS STRIKE PRO BOWL AT QB THREE TIMES IN A ROW? GOTTA BE THE BEARS, RIGHT?