Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Masthay Released new punter claimed

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar

Masthay Released new punter claimed

"Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

Just saw that on FB. Wow.
    C.H.U.D.

No surprise here, I had Jacob Schum on my final 53.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    That is a shocker.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

It's amazing that he broke the record for average net punting distance last year, a record that stood for 52 years, and gets cut this year for a guy who is nothing more than a name on a sheet of paper to the team. I'm a little surprised they didn't hang on to Masthay and brig the other guy in, too.

Sheeesh! I hope he can do a decent job holding for Crosby. I hope they know something that doesn't show up in stats. The guy seems like a step down from either Masthay or Mortell.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    It's amazing that he broke the record for average net punting distance last year, a record that stood for 52 years, and gets cut this year for a guy who is nothing more than a name on a sheet of paper to the team. I'm a little surprised they didn't hang on to Masthay and brig the other guy in, too.
    I think that average was boosted by special teams coverage. Mastay had to have shanked at least 6 punts last year.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Obligatory post

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Zook with his stupid giant PUNT signs seemed to get most issues fixed since he took over.

-Tim Harmston

Huh, I guess no one wins the punting competition

Was Masthay that bad last year?

Couldn't have been as bad as Vikings Locke.

Well, didn't see that one coming. When Mortell was released, I figured Mathsay had sorted out his issues and was the punter for the season! Why this guy now?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

I'm sure Scoops McGinn will have the skinny on what's going down. Isn't the first time TT has rolled the dice on the position with the season right around the corner. Hoping for a better result this time around {see Ryan, Jon}.

For a few years there, I perceived Mastay as a premier punter in the league. I then perceived he fell back down to earth big time the past couple years. Was he really that bad? I am surprised by this move.

He was a "plus" player there for a few years, but he's really struggled the last two seasons, even as the coverage units have improved. Sad to see him go, I enjoyed his goofy ass trick plays.

Does anybody care who the punter is? They're barely part of the team. They give them a jersey from the Packer pro shop and some tiny fake shoulder pads. You know they'll be replaced by another interchangeable part as soon as they hit a slump. They are like hookers who move from team to team to team.

Punts are boring plays that you just want to get over with. I know they matter, but so do extra points and coin flips.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Does anybody care who the punter is? They're barely part of the team. They give them a jersey from the Packer pro shop and some tiny fake shoulder pads. You know they'll be replaced by another interchangeable part as soon as they hit a slump. They are like hookers who move from team to team to team.

Punts are boring plays that you just want to get over with. I know they matter, but so do extra points and coin flips.
    Next thing you know you'll be asking does anybody care who the long snapper is. They can play on the line in a pinch.
    Maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    He was a "plus" player there for a few years, but he's really struggled the last two seasons, even as the coverage units have improved. Sad to see him go, I enjoyed his goofy ass trick plays.
    Agreed. He was pretty awful two years ago and not as good as his stats last year. Before that, he was a pretty good punter. I believe his struggles started around the time his Dad died.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Packers must have hired Mike Stock as a consultant.

I wonder if they are sitting on some bad Masthay news.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Packers must have hired Mike Stock as a consultant.

I wonder if they are sitting on some bad Masthay news.
    I suppose the team felt they couldn't afford to cut anyone left to open up a spot for a mini competition at punter. They must've watched a lot of film of this guy punting (Harlan, you know you'd get a boner watching a guy punt over and over and over). And they must've been scouting him pre-season. No mention of his hang times.

I was surprised in the JSPG at how poor Masthay's gross and inside-the-20 numbers were last year. I thought he was supposed to be good at dropping them inside the 20.

I don't see this like Jon Ryan at all. Lots of Rats thought Ryan was damn good; I believe the Packers just didn't want to pony up - think it was his contract year? Masthay already got the big contract; he just underperformed. In the last article on him he sounded like some desperate Buddhist guru - flowing through the kick, rhythm, using the ground for power.

And now he's gone. Maybe if the new guy doesn't work out they can re-sign Masthay on the cheap.

Shanks for the memories, Tim.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack