Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2016 Training Camp Thread

Forget me not: Before training camp is over, Beniquez Brown is going to be run through the test kitchen at inside linebacker to see what he has to offer.

On Saturday, Brown got some extended work at the nickel and dime positions in a highly competitive red-zone drill. Others such as Blake Martinez, Thomas, Jake Ryan and Carl Bradford have rotated through the two inside spots, but the 6-foot-1, 235-pound Brown has seen limited action.
    Your Dime Linebacker candidates. Courtesy of Bretsky and JSO: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...388773091.html

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...l=1#post890534
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

^ I hope the kid sticks around, lotta info in his quote:

Brown didn't look out of place in the nickel and dime and even chased down running back Eddie Lacy for a short gain of a catch out of the backfield.

"I did it in college," said Brown, who was the weak-side linebacker in a 4-3 defense at Mississippi State. "But the techniques they want us to use here, it's something to get used to.

"The biggest thing is in college you didn't have as many tight ends. If they were tight ends they were blocking tight ends. Now, here you have guys who can block and will run a great route on you also."
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    ^ I hope the kid sticks around, lotta info in his quote:
    yup. i always like guys with two last names.

Brown was graded a 3rd-4th round prospect, with the downside being (for his size) he's too slow. Seems he has good quickness. If he has the instincts, he could stick on the team. We've definitely had an issue finding instinctive players to plug into the middle of the defense. We'll see how he looks in practice during the 3rd preseason week.

E: He was graded *as high as* a 3rd-4th. Others had him as 6th-7th or priority UDFA.
    Last edited by smuggler; 07-31-2016 at 08:25 PM.

Well, the inevitable happened. JSO has adopted the Gannett/USAToday/GBPG online publishing platform.

I wonder if I can still get them all in an RSS feed.

The big problem is that madison.com (WiSJ and CapitalTimes) has been terrible for years. Options are limited.

Early returns on Jones dropping weight and playing mostly outside are pretty positive. It would be a huge deal if he can raise his game, take Neal's snaps and provide an alternative to Perry and Matthews. He is long and not easy to get by as a QB trying to escape. He will make Matthews job easier if he can flush AND blowup a QB like Wilson.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...rush/87761632/

Well, the inevitable happened. JSO has adopted the Gannett/USAToday/GBPG online publishing platform.

I wonder if I can still get them all in an RSS feed.

The big problem is that madison.com (WiSJ and CapitalTimes) has been terrible for years. Options are limited.
    Packer coverage in JSO and GBPG has been virtually identical for about a month, with the same articles in both papers. A couple weeks ago, they published an announcement about how the writers from the two would coordinate coverage and share articles. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Packer coverage in JSO and GBPG has been virtually identical for about a month, with the same articles in both papers. A couple weeks ago, they published an announcement about how the writers from the two would coordinate coverage and share articles. Too bad.
    Yep. And rather than have their own beat reporter, WiSJ contracts to Gannett to include the GBPG coverage (at least they did, not sure of they still do with combined GBPG/JSO). Its really limited now.

Yep. And rather than have their own beat reporter, WiSJ contracts to Gannett to include the GBPG coverage (at least they did, not sure of they still do with combined GBPG/JSO). Its really limited now.
    I didn't realize that. I've never been a reader of the WiSJ. Years and years ago, I enjoyed reading three persepectives, GBPG, Mil. Journal and Mil. Sentinel. I was disappointed when the two Milwaukee papers combined for more reasons than just Packer coverage, but that was part of it. Now we have just one.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 4s5 seconds ago
    #Packers one-on-ones: Spriggs 8-0. Barclay and Murphy 7-1. Bulaga and Bakhtiari 4-0.

Gamblin' Rat
    Bill Huber reports Adams "has caught everything this summer."

Ryan Wood reports Adams has had a"rough camp so far."

WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasPackFan View Post

WTF.
    Others have said Adams has been up and down this summer.

Funny as that is, my impression has been that he has been better than last year, but still dropping too many. Very much like his family night performance.

WTF.
    Well he didn't catch every pass last night.

WTF.
    Sometimes, people see what they want to see, even reporters.

Sometimes, people see what they want to see, even reporters.
    QFT

Post Family Night PC by M3

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 22m22 minutes ago
    MM on PUP guys: Lang getting close to practicing but nothing changed with other five.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 20m20 minutes ago
    McCarthy: Night practice is a big change for everybody. Our players enjoy the atmosphere that our fans create. Best atmosphere to work in.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 19m19 minutes ago
    McCarthy on Clark: Has stood out in individual drills and is off to a good start. Not far [enough] along to give much analysis, though.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 19m19 minutes ago
    Ripkowski has taken step forward at fullback, McCarthy says. "I really like what he's doing."

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 17m17 minutes ago
    McCarthy: I think Kenny (Clark) has really stood out in individual work in padded practices. He's off to a good start.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 14m14 minutes ago
    there's some "judgment on the time clock" on what's a catch/not a catch, McCarthy said.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 13m13 minutes ago
    McCarthy said players will have a chance to go to the Hall of Fame ceremony if they choose to see Favre inducted on Saturday night. #packers

A couple weeks ago, they published an announcement about how the writers from the two would coordinate coverage and share articles.
    Right. Sharing. Team work. It's not like mergers lead to people losing their jobs. Well, they can always come here and work for Madtown.

Early returns on Jones dropping weight and playing mostly outside are pretty positive. It would be a huge deal if he can raise his game, take Neal's snaps and provide an alternative to Perry and Matthews. He is long and not easy to get by as a QB trying to escape. He will make Matthews job easier if he can flush AND blowup a QB like Wilson.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...rush/87761632/
    How many round one picks become "niche players" in the NFL?
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    How many round one picks become "niche players" in the NFL?
    Some become "no players" at all.

Ron Wolf was a great GM. His Packer 1sr round picks:

Terrell Buckley
    Wayne Simmons
    George Teague
    Aaron Taylor
    Craig Newsome
    John Michels
    Ross Verba
    Vonnie Holliday
    Antuan Edwards
    Bubba Franks
    Jamal Edwards

Even the great GM's have some real misses. The record of most GM's is worse.