Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2016 Training Camp Thread

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Yep. I have moved from 6 week PUP to a lost year forecast. And I think the chances this ends a career have gone up too. The complete lockdown on information is suggestive that its bad and they are giving the player time.
    Not challenging your assertion at all, because you might be right. When has the Packer brass ever been open when speaking about injuries and time-tables for recovery? My thought is, if it's conjecture, why bother putting anything out there at this point, especially if you don't know if he'll be on target in his recovery. I think you're right about him starting on PUP and coming back after week 6. Fingers crossed; I like the kid's talent.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Jordy had to play for 3 seasons before he became the player he is today so I believe you and others are too hasty in labeling Adams a bust. What veteran WR should Thompson had pursued? We all saw how James Jones disappeared last year once our opponents figured out he was slower than molasses in January.
    Not saying he should have signed anyone in the offseason.

Adams, Janis, and Monty looked like a good bunch to sort out below Jordy and Cobb - BUT - now that it looks like Monty won't play this year, and Janis hasn't progressed in the playbook, and Adams is looking like he'll fall on the lesser side of average...

We all know that TT won't bring in any help until next years draft. There are sure to be several viable vets that can serve as stop-gaps, or other WR's with upside that will be released by other teams in the numbers game. TT won't look at any of them.

Abby is our best bet for #3 WR; maybe install some screens for Davis; and Adams can lumber along as the #4... If Abby steps up the group can be servicable, but if we get hit with any injuries - especially Jordy - it will be another long season of frustrating offensive football.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Not challenging your assertion at all, because you might be right. When has the Packer brass ever been open when speaking about injuries and time-tables for recovery? My thought is, if it's conjecture, why bother putting anything out there at this point, especially if you don't know if he'll be on target in his recovery. I think you're right about him starting on PUP and coming back after week 6. Fingers crossed; I like the kid's talent.
    As an org, Packers are not very talkative about these things. However, we usually do get something. Compared to the rest of the League, the Packers are slow, but not New England paranoid. McCarthy usually comments then just shuts it down after an update or two.

The most recent example like Monty was Sherrod, who, like Monty, had to come forward well after the fact to explain that they had to reset or fix his fractured leg again after his first surgery and that was the reason for his first aborted return. As it turns out, Sherrod did not want to disclose the info for a long time. Preferring to keep his work quiet.

Monty might have felt the same way. But somehow we never seem to get to this point knowing very little unless its very bad and the player has a lot of obstacles to overcome.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The one thing that distinguishes Monty from previous injuries that ended up being much worse than originally thought is that McCarthy said he expects all of the PUPs to be active by start of season. I don't think he would come out and say that if they suspected TM's season was in doubt. He would be coy and say he's taking it one step at a time or something like that.

Fair point. I wouldn't put to past him to generalize, but its not the usual approach. But I bet Monty is not the only guy with a bit of an unknown timetable.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    The one thing that distinguishes Monty from previous injuries that ended up being much worse than originally thought is that McCarthy said he expects all of the PUPs to be active by start of season. I don't think he would come out and say that if they suspected TM's season was in doubt. He would be coy and say he's taking it one step at a time or something like that.
    Fair point. I wouldn't put to past him to generalize, but its not the usual approach. But I bet Monty is not the only guy with a bit of an unknown timetable.
    When the PUP list included 6 starters and pseudo-starters, I would almost expect him to generalize, just to avoid having to discuss each one separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Jordy had to play for 3 seasons before he became the player he is today so I believe you and others are too hasty in labeling Adams a bust. What veteran WR should Thompson had pursued? We all saw how James Jones disappeared last year once our opponents figured out he was slower than molasses in January.
    I think his disappearance had more to do with teams figuring out they did not have to double cover or use their #1CB on Cobb or Adams, putting their #1CB on JJ. He did ok when he was drawing the #2 or #3 CB.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    I think his disappearance had more to do with teams figuring out they did not have to double cover or use their #1CB on Cobb or Adams, putting their #1CB on JJ. He did ok when he was drawing the #2 or #3 CB.
    I think his disappearance also had to do with his hamstring injury at first, which some said was significantly limiting. I think that was extended or compounded as AR seemingly grew more and more unwilling to throw into tight coverages as the season progressed. JJ wasn't all that open early in the year, but AR threw it to him anyway, and he caught a lot of difficult ones. Later in the year some of those same opportunities appeared to be there, but AR wouldn't throw. Rogers grew to distrust all of his receivers, it seemed.

well reggie ragland looks to have blown out his knee today

so ends the great draft debate of 2016

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    well reggie ragland looks to have blown out his knee today

so ends the great draft debate of 2016
    I'd feel better if 1/3 of the roster didn't sit out the last practice.

They figured it out long before that...

Since they're not practicing today, I'm assuming no one will get hurt moving boxes at home or playing golf, so it's another good day in training camp.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

The bad news is that we are now counting on two guys who have the dropsies (Adams and Janis) plus one that is one serious head injury away from retiring (Abby).
    and jordy is an unknown too. this was all my take before the draft. ugh. if the allison kid is actually doing something good they have to find a way to keep him.

From Jason Wilde's Twitter:

Rodgers in @WildeAndTausch interview:
    Abbrederis "a phenomenal camp."
    Cobb "looks great."
    Adams "a great camp."
    Janis "has progressed."

Cobb "looks great."
    Adams "a great camp."
    Janis "has progressed."
    Either damning praise, or Rodgers knows the praise goes to Janis's head.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Either damning praise, or Rodgers knows the praise goes to Janis's head.
    Well, last year when a reporter asked Rodgers about Janis, Rodgers would start talking about some different player. So I'd say Rodgers has progressed.

Cobb "looks great."
    Adams "a great camp."
    Janis "has progressed."
    That's it, we are going to see a repeat of 2015 only worse. Abby will miss all sixteen games due to postconcussion syndrome, Cobb will get stymied by press coverage and finally give up, Adams will drop every throw that goes his way and will be gone by midseason, and Janis will catch 22 passes for 1022 yards but will always be the sixth option in Rodgers's progression.

Gamblin' Rat
    What about the kid Trevor Davis? I'm worried that we heard great news early on and almost nothing after the pads went on.

FromRapSheet:

#Packers TE Jared Cook has been cleared after foot surgery and is coming off PUP, source said. That helps.

Wilde Twitter:

#Packers coach Mike McCarthy says TE Jared Cook (foot), ILB Sam Barrington (foot), WR Ty Montgomery (ankle) are off PUP and will practice.