Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NOTABLE TRAINING CAMP NOTHINGS FROM PACKER PRESS IN REGARDS TO WR's

Blog Entries

NOTABLE TRAINING CAMP NOTHINGS FROM PACKER PRESS IN REGARDS TO WR's

Been listening to ESPN 1070 and Tom Silverstein and Mike Heller. They have watched the last two practices and here are some observations

From Day 1
    Not a ton of concern in regards to Jordy Nelson knee twitch as it's on his non ACL Knee

Noted Randall Cobb packages could grow

Noted MM said Abby has had a great off season and Silverstein calls Abby GB's best route runner on the team

Noted lights out speed by the rookie 5th rounder and they think he's in GB's top 3 in speed

Noted Jeff Janis looks bigger

Some fluffy Kool Aide for the Plodder Rodgers...may have shed a few lbs and be a bit faster

General concern on our new TE being injured as he needs reps with AROD

From Day 2

From Mike Heller

Heller hopes this is not a pattern but described in detail twice in today's practice when AROD and Jeff Janis were on entirely different pages. In both instances AROD showed frustration at Janis not reading the defense correctly. He hoped it is not a pattern but also noted this has become common

PLAY ONE....in 11 on 11 drills....Janis going deep....AROD underthrew ball and bit and Janis showed next to no ability to come back and make a play....glided by..interception for a TD

PLAY TWO....at end of practice in scrimmage format on a read and react play....AROD threw to back shoulder of Janis, who misread the coverage and went deep. Directly after AROD's throw he was very frustrated, turned his back and gave direction to the other WR's on what you should have seen and the correct route.....as Janis returned he kind of let him have it as well.

Heller noted this was all too common last year as well.....and slightly mocked the fans who are in the Jeff Janis is the great one group and needs to play more and more....noted Janis needs to mentally start doing his job if he wants to hang around and today showed why AROD lacks trust.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Noted Randall Cobb packages could grow.
    That's some in-depth reporting

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No news of a Adams trade to Siberia for a bag of potato chips?

Janis' head is harder than Finley's apparently. I wonder how many ways they have attempted to get him to absorb the info he needs to read a defense.

At this point, its not about drills in practice, its about recognition of a look from the opponent.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    That's some in-depth reporting
    Gotta be PEDs you would think, if true.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Janis' head is harder than Finley's apparently. I wonder how many ways they have attempted to get him to absorb the info he needs to read a defense.

At this point, its not about drills in practice, its about recognition of a look from the opponent.
    It doesn't help him when Rodgers pouts. Janis is a special talent, they NEED to find a way to help him figure things out. Everyone learns differently, some people are very hands on. Maybe Janis needs to learn in game type situations. The other possibility is maybe he will never get it. I hope that's not the case as imo he's a better talent than Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Janis is a special

As 2nd vice president of the Jeff Janis Sniffers Club, I'm standing by the man; he's differently enabled - and how!
    Last edited by Harlan Huckleby; 07-28-2016 at 02:30 PM.

janis is bigger but not smarter. see ya jj!

Blog Entries
    It doesn't help him when Rodgers pouts. Janis is a special talent, they NEED to find a way to help him figure things out. Everyone learns differently, some people are very hands on. Maybe Janis needs to learn in game type situations. The other possibility is maybe he will never get it. I hope that's not the case as imo he's a better talent than Adams.
    Adams has to force off two defenders to catch the ball. Janis gives up the pick (something Adams got skewered for last season) and you say he is better? Hahaha!! Maybe Rodgers should pull him by his facemask and explain it to him. Is that hands on enough?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post

As 2nd vice president of the Jeff Janis Sniffers Club, I'm standing by the man; he's differently enabled - and how!
    I bet you take up two seats on that bus.

I don't know if Rodgers is productive with Janis (at this point I doubt anything is), but it doesn't sound like pouting. He gave each of the receivers a reminder of what they just saw and what they should do if they see it again. Including Janis.

Though I am still concerned there is a McCarthy offense (which worried me because "fundamentals", no-huddle and Schottenheimer-itis) and a Rodgers version of that offense.

The Janis as a talent question is bigger than Rodgers: what kind of offense are you running that the best athletic talent you have had since Sterling Sharpe at WR cannot be incorporated. He's not dumb but they haven't figured it out. Heads should roll on the staff for this.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I don't know if Rodgers is productive with Janis (at this point I doubt anything is), but it doesn't sound like pouting. He gave each of the receivers a reminder of what they just saw and what they should do if they see it again. Including Janis.

Though I am still concerned there is a McCarthy offense (which worried me because "fundamentals", no-huddle and Schottenheimer-itis) and a Rodgers version of that offense.

The Janis as a talent question is bigger than Rodgers: what kind of offense are you running that the best athletic talent you have had since Sterling Sharpe at WR cannot be incorporated. He's not dumb but they haven't figured it out. Heads should roll on the staff for this.
    That's just it, Janis isn't a dumb guy. Maybe he doesn't have a good "feel" for the intricacies of pro football; but he certainly puts in a good effort, and his team mates have begun talking about how passionate he is about playing. He has a combination of speed, size and strength that is not common. By now the coaching staff should have figured out a way to make use of the physical talent he has. Maybe not for a lot of plays each game, but he should be able to contribute. Sometimes you have to modify what you do in order to use the players you have and what they are capable of.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    No news of a Adams trade to Siberia for a bag of potato chips?

Yes, there is

Siberia has withdrawn their offer
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    MORE NEWS from today. A couple thoughs

JANIS is nicknamed the chosen one by some reporters. Every time he catches the ball the crowd erupts in cheers. He's everybody's fave.

The Packers rook has looked as good or better than any WR on the team so far. Lots of press hype about the rook.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    MORE NEWS from today. A couple thoughs

JANIS is nicknamed the chosen one by some reporters. Every time he catches the ball the crowd erupts in cheers. He's everybody's fave.

The Packers rook has looked as good or better than any WR on the team so far. Lots of press hype about the rook.
    If I was there, I'd certainly be cheering Janis catch. If he plays up to his potential, that does more to upgrade the offense than basically anything other than Aaron Rodgers staying healthy. I hope Davis comes through big too, but I just bet they let him sit on the bench for a couple of years like Janis no matter how well he does.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    If I was there, I'd certainly be cheering Janis catch. If he plays up to his potential, that does more to upgrade the offense than basically anything other than Aaron Rodgers staying healthy. I hope Davis comes through big too, but I just bet they let him sit on the bench for a couple of years like Janis no matter how well he does.
    This is ridiculous. How did the Packers offense go in 2014 or before? Janis never contributed in any meaningful way and yet we were top 5 in offense every year.

We missed three things last year. 1. A true #1 WR in Jordy Nelson. 2. A running attack and not a fat slug. 3. ARod's pinpoint accuracy was off.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I hope Davis comes through big too, but I just bet they let him sit on the bench for a couple of years like Janis no matter how well he does.
    Again, this part makes no sense either. The coaches will not sit their best players just because they are rookies.

It sounds like Davis is doing some great things in camp so far. It will be a matter of how quickly he picks up the whole playbook and the concepts of the Packer offense. I can't think of a better year to be a rookie WR on the Packers. Last year the offense was the main problem and the WR corp was average at best.

If you can come in a show that you are better than Adams, Monty, Abby and Janis you are the starting 3rd WR in GB. That is assuming Nelson comes back at full strength.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

I have not considered Janis to be someone the offense can feature, like Nelson or Cobb. However, the staff should be able to figure out a way to use Janis as a new wrinkle in the offense. Something else for a defense to think about. With everyone hurt and/or under performing at WR last year, I was astounded that there never was an attempt to work Janis in. He was the only receiver who was healthy at times, was their biggest WR, their fastest WR, and probably their strongest WR, yet there was no attempt to use him. It made no sense when everyone ahead of him was performing so poorly as it was.

Janis is physically gifted but by all account not too bright. He's Bill Schroeder 2.0. Once he figures out how to run something other than a 9, he'll be productive.

^ But he did quite well on the Wonderlic I believe. That test is not the be all and end all of intelligence, but he has something percolating beneath his scalp. He's clearly absorbed and used complex information before.