View Poll Results: Did the Packers err in letting Hayward go?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Despite money, they will regret decision

0 0%
  • No - Money and depth made this a no brainer even if he plays to rookie level

13 100.00%

Thread: Did Pack Make a Mistake Re Casey Hayward?

Did Pack Make a Mistake Re Casey Hayward?

My answer is no. They suggest Hayward should have been retained and Perry dumped to make the salary work and shuffle Gordon down the depth chart at CB for the roster spot.

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/did-the...eesehead+TV%29

Perhaps Hayward's inability to play the perimeter coupled by the future investment in the more multi-faceted Micah Hyde and of course the addition of Randall and Rollins played a part in letting Hayward go, but at the moment the last cornerback spot is filled by Demtri Goodson, who has shown essentially nothing during his time with the Packers, is already 27 and has been suspended 4 games for PEDs. Would you rather have Hayward in Goodson's spot on and spent money on Hayward instead of Perry (who is making essentially the same APY)? I would.
    However, they make no mention of how to fill Perry's shoes at OLB. If you don't want Peppers playing full time anymore, then Jayrone Elliot is the starter.

Peppers/Perry -> Elliot is more of a drop-off than Hayward->Rollins or Randall.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I'm not sure Goodson will make the team this year, suspension or no suspension. Shields, Randall, Rollins, Gunther and Daniel all could be ahead of him as a CB. Plus, one of the RFAs was considered to be a plum in the free agent sweepstakes of CBs. They might better use a spot with young potential than Goodson who is mostly a ST guy and hasn't shown much at CB. Especially since Goodsen is already 27. He is the 2nd oldest CB to Shields and is older than all safeties other than Burnett, who is also 27.

I think Goodson will have to make a move as a CB this year to stick, or a few others would have to go down with injuries.

Last year during camp, Hayward was supposedly fully healthy. Several reporters noted that the injuries must have taken their toll on him. His outstanding feature as a rookie was quickness, not speed, and he broke on throws very well. Probably the reason for his impressive rookie performance with interceptions. Last year it was said by several that he no longer showed that trait. Saw the play, but didn't get there for the INT. It played out that way during the season, too.

Too bad. He had an impressive rookie year. He will probably stick around the league a long time, not as a guy to build around but as a guy to fill in with. GB has so much young potential at CB right now, they really have to give them opportunities.

"Perhaps Hayward's inability to play the perimeter coupled by the future investment in the more multi-faceted Micah Hyde and of course the addition of Randall and Rollins played a part in letting Hayward go, but at the moment the last cornerback spot is filled by Demtri Goodson, who has shown essentially nothing during his time with the Packers, is already 27 and has been suspended 4 games for PEDs. Would you rather have Hayward in Goodson's spot on and spent money on Hayward instead of Perry (who is making essentially the same APY)? I would."

This quote is dumb on many different levels. First, It sure doesn't seem to me that Goodson will be taking Hayward's roster spot - it will be taken by a newbie, as Goodson had his own roster spot last year (if you want to even look at it as players having their own roster spots). Secondly, why would you spend money on Hayward, who by all accounts has lost that interception ability after his injury? Isn't Perry a better investment, as he will take snaps from Peppers, making Peppers more productive?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I assume Randall (or maybe Rollings) will take his snaps, and both of them have earned it. Cheap player on a rookie contract who's performing as well as a vet looking for his first payday, no brainer. Same treatment House got last year.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...