Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: HOF Game

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    There's a difference (to me) in someone being legally accountable and responsible when things go bad, and that party being personally incompetent. In my own career, I captained a couple fiascos where delays were caused by factors outside my control, but of course somebody has to get blamed.
    I'm not trying to let you off the hook here, HH; but, fiascos often happen from each of several people making only small errors, with the collective result being a disaster.

That said, we see you solidly behind door #2.

The press release, which gratuitously points out that the Hall of Fame is a “501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation” (so was the league office until recently), says that ticketholders will receive the face value of their tickets along with “all processing, shipping and handling fees, pre-paid parking purchased through the Hall of Fame, pre-sale reservation fees, and one night of hotel accommodations to eligible fans, subject to appropriate review, approval, and verification.”
    In Harlan's corner, the HOF is making this offer directly, not the NFL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...canceled-game/

The lawyer who offered the $450 deal said that the customers deserve what Goodell gets, cash, rather than photos.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    A lawyer is claiming the NFL defrauded fans by letting them in the gate to purchase concessions, merchandise, etc., knowing that they were going to cancel the game:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...efrauded-fans/

What a claim.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Well they did

They showed the huge lines on TV while they were talking about how the game was cancelled

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Who knows, they might be able to blame David Baker if he was ultimately in charge of the readiness of the facility and the communications. He may have been told by a person who has since lost their job that they were going to be ready to go. You'd think there would be some protocol about these things to say if it's not ready x number of hours before the gates are opened then cancel the game. If Baker was in charge and was given bad (over-confident) information by the head of the grounds crew, then Baker was just passing on the same info to the NFL to make their decision. Again, the NFL should be in charge of their product both from a facilities stand-point and a broadcast standpoint to know when the field must be declared fit for a game. I know most NFL games are not preceded by a ceremony in the same space the night before, thus creating a smaller window of opportunity to prepare the field. I think the surface is field turf, so my question is, why couldn't they have the grounds ready before the HOF ceremony and just cover it up with a tarp on the field the day/night before? Why worry about field prep. after Saturday night's ceremony? Obviously, nobody expects a screw up of those proportions, but like kicking a field goal on third down, at least you are planning for a bad snap and can still call time out.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    A lawyer is claiming the NFL defrauded fans by letting them in the gate to purchase concessions, merchandise, etc., knowing that they were going to cancel the game:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...efrauded-fans/

What a claim.

Can you imagine ANYONE deliberately trying this to preserve an hour of concession sales? Of course they would get caught. Strange things happen, can't say it is an impossible scenario. But it's certainly unlikely.

why would the nfl tell the players the game was cancelled 90 minutes before it told the people in the stands, and why else would demand the players not tweet or say anything about the game being cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    why would the nfl tell the players the game was cancelled 90 minutes before it told the people in the stands, and why else would demand the players not tweet or say anything about the game being cancelled?
    If there is a credible lawsuit, the full facts will come out.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    To figure out what they were going to say and do, and relay it to everyone involved. They did the little "program" of sorts with the HOF'ers coming onto the field, etc. They had to get everyone where they wanted them. I doubt their concern was concession income, but it probably did involve trying to do something to appease at least parts of the crowd a little. Coming out and saying; "The game is cancelled. Bye." could have turned the crowd into an angry mob.