Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: HOF Game

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i hope the nfl gets bent over a barrel on this one
    The HOF is separate from the NFL. THe NFL did nothing wrong; they did the responsible thing.

The HOF is accountable. I just see it as a freak accident. The paint had some odd chemical interaction with the turf. Hard to see who in the chain acted badly, maybe somebody, but who?

Pretty sure the NFL is staging the game, not the HOF.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    The HOF is separate from the NFL. THe NFL did nothing wrong; they did the responsible thing.

The HOF is accountable. I just see it as a freak accident. The paint had some odd chemical interaction with the turf. Hard to see who in the chain acted badly, maybe somebody, but who?
    Didja read what happened, or just the title and not bother? The application of the paint, being surprised that is didn't dry and three stooges like attempts to fix the issue are on the level with green pool water in Rio. I will give them credit for not playing the game.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Didja read what happened, or just the title and not bother? The application of the paint, being surprised that is didn't dry
    You didn't read the details yourself. It was the heat plus the interaction of the paint with the surface that caused the problem. It was not a simple, predictable case of applying the paint very late, although the contractors were a bit late. . Troy Vincent in the NFL took blame, but that was just "the buck stops here" accountability. The contractor had a problem with the paint that he couldn't anticipate.
    Last edited by Harlan Huckleby; 08-12-2016 at 12:08 PM.

You didn't read the details yourself. It was the heat plus the interaction of the paint with the surface that caused the problem. It was not a simple, predictable case of applying the paint very late, although the contractors were a bit late. . Troy Vincent in the NFL took blame, but that was just "the buck stops here" accountability. The contractor had a problem with the paint that he couldn't anticipate.
    Except that they used the wrong paint. I bet that was something they could have anticipated.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

so, a comedy of errors

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Except that they used the wrong paint.
    Your article says "improper paint may have been used." If so, then the contractor is clearly at fault. We'll see. I wouldn't blame the NFL, except that the buck stops with them.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    so, a comedy of errors
    That's what you and others have been saying without knowing any facts. It could be a single error by the contractor - poor choice of paint. That paint also might be commonly used for this purpose, but the heat and surface caused a problem.

I'm tired of discussing this meaningless preseason game.

Let's move on to the next meaningless preseason game against Cleveland.

Your article says "improper paint may have been used." If so, then the contractor is clearly at fault. We'll see. I wouldn't blame the NFL, except that the buck stops with them.
    Who do you think hired the painters? Do you really think the NFL has the HoF prep its field?

Do you think the Rose Bowl parade people prep the Rose Bowl when it hosts the Super Bowl?

The HoF stadium is used by a high school team outside of the annual HoF game.

Who do you think hired the painters? Do you really think the NFL has the HoF prep its field?
    The NFL is responsible in a "buck stops here" sense, but I don't blame them. They didn't act unreasonably. They either got screwed by a contractor's bad choice of a wrong paint. Or everybody involved, including the contractor, are caught in a "shit happens" situation. We still don't know if the contractor used the wrong paint.

Once it was obvious that the paint was a disaster, I can't blame the contractor for trying desperation measures - the turpentine, the heating of the surface to dry it out, the chanting of incantations, .... WTF - might as well try.

I can't agree at all with gripers blaming the NFL. Ya, they are accountable, but it was not unreasonable for the NFL to trust the contractor.

The contractor might have been a bozo. But if used the right paint (we still don't know) all of us would have ended up looking bad if we were in his shoes.

The NFL is responsible in a "buck stops here" sense, but I don't blame them. They didn't act unreasonably. They either got screwed by a contractor's bad choice of a wrong paint. Or everybody involved, including the contractor, are caught in a "shit happens" situation. We still don't know if the contractor used the wrong paint.

Once it was obvious that the paint was a disaster, I can't blame the contractor for trying desperation measures - the turpentine, the heating of the surface to dry it out, the chanting of incantations, .... WTF - might as well try.

I can't agree at all with gripers blaming the NFL. Ya, they are accountable, but it was not unreasonable for the NFL to trust the contractor.

The contractor might have been a bozo. But if used the right paint (we still don't know) all of us would have ended up looking bad if we were in his shoes.
    I'm trying to decide if you're playing devil's advocate, or are a project manager in real life.

The field wasn't ready, so they used old Field Turf from the SuperDome! For a billion dollar organization, they sure act like a nickel and dime operation at times. This was the NFL's fault, beginning to end.

Wrong paint? So 5 minutes of searching brought me to this
    http://www.fieldturf.com/sites/field...Guidelines.pdf
    From the document:
    it is imperative that you contact Fieldturf’s customer service department for guidance on specific types of paint to use,
    The attempts to remove the paint?

(only approved removers should be used based on the paint manufacturer’s recommendations – contact Fieldturf customer service if you are unsure)
    AND MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!
    Time to dry: Preferably overnight; otherwise 6 to 8 hours at 70°F and 50% humidity.
    What I've read says they had decking on the field, and paint was applied after the decking came off...so they allowed what, 2-3 to dry?

I'm also pretty damn sure that if the league thought for a minute is could've gotten away with sending the players out onto a dangerous field, they would've done so. (see Suisham, Shaun)
    --

The field wasn't ready, so they used old Field Turf from the SuperDome! For a billion dollar organization,

BFD

Wrong paint? So 5 minutes of searching brought me to this
    http://www.fieldturf.com/sites/field...Guidelines.pdf
    From the document:
    That's quite an insight you uncovered there: the right paint should be used.

If the contractor used the wrong paint, the contractor should be blamed, and severely.

I'm also pretty damn sure that if the league thought for a minute is could've gotten away with sending the players out onto a dangerous field, they would've done so. (see Suisham, Shaun)
    I don't think you'd make a very fair judge.

I don't think you'd make a very fair judge.
    So my son said when I asked him how he knew I had a beer in my travel mug "Previous experience and behavior"
    --

The acorn doesn't fall very far from the tree.

If you find the right paint and varnish, that acorn will roll for quite a long way.

The HOf was responsible for the field. Troy Vincent said he was responsible for making sure it was proper. He took the blame because who the fuck cares? Defending g the morons that have been doing this game for 500 years and can't get a field right is idiotic. They fucked up the field and it cost them millions. You think the NFL is going to eat that cost or the HOf?

No mention of the contractor or the HoF. Weird. I am sure the NFL will have this dismissed as they had no control over the event.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 7h7 hours ago
    NFL receives settlement offer in HOF lawsuit: $450 per ticketholder, with no fees or other payment to the lawyers

I mean, c'mon, think about this logically. The Super Bowl, for instance, is really run at a Stadium that is not owned or leased to the NFL. An individual team or Stadium Corp owns that asset. The NFL doesn't hire the contractors that install seating and they really aren't in control of the event. I bet the only service they provide is selling tickets and collecting money.

Appearing last week on PFT Live, Avenatti said that the league already has spent more than $20 million to defend itself in the Super Bowl XLV ticket fiasco litigation.

No mention of the contractor or the HoF. Weird. I am sure the NFL will have this dismissed as they had no control over the event.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 7h7 hours ago
    NFL receives settlement offer in HOF lawsuit: $450 per ticketholder, with no fees or other payment to the lawyers

I mean, c'mon, think about this logically. The Super Bowl, for instance, is really run at a Stadium that is not owned or leased to the NFL. An individual team or Stadium Corp owns that asset. The NFL doesn't hire the contractors that install seating and they really aren't in control of the event. I bet the only service they provide is selling tickets and collecting money.
    On the surface it seems reasonable for them to accept this offer - PFT's math said it would cost them $10 million. However, I suspect they don't want to let that genie out of the bottle, prefering instead to defend the limiting of their liability to the price of the ticket.
    --

My sarcasm detector started beeping when I read pbmax's post. Could just be indigestion.

There's a difference (to me) in someone being legally accountable and responsible when things go bad, and that party being personally incompetent. In my own career, I captained a couple fiascos where delays were caused by factors outside my control, but of course somebody has to get blamed. I'd want to hear the contractor's side of the story before executing him; and I'm very skeptical that anybody here would have been wiser than the NFL dude who fell on his sword. Probably the contractor had done good work in the past.