Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: CM3 and peppers to be suspended indefinitely if they don't talk

PFT with the occasional good points about why agreeing to be interviewed is dangerous in and of itself:

Before anyone suggests that I remove the tin-foil hat, that tin-foil hat came in handy during the Saints bounty scandal, when the NFL tried to put words in Anthony Hargrove’s mouth in order to bolster the appearance that Hargrove was anxious to recover payment for battering Vikings quarterback Brett Favre in the 2009 NFC title game. That tin-foil hat also came in handy when dissecting the backward-ass junk science of #DeflateGate, along with comparing Tom Brady’s sworn testimony during his internal appeal to the manner in which Brady’s words were distorted in the appeal ruling from Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Football players aren’t lawyers or linguists, skilled in properly maneuvering and manipulating words in order to avoid giving the league through inadvertence or lack of precision a chunk of syllables that can be used to support a Constanza-esque “a-ha!” and a finding of guilt that the league office is hoping to impose. So when the players tell the truth with words that may be bent into an alternative version of the truth, that’s a very good reason to not say anything.

Then there’s the possibility that they’ll be asked a laundry list of questions about any and all communications with Charles Sly, the former Guyer Institute employee/intern/whatever whose claims already have been deemed to be not credible as to retired quarterback Peyton Manning but somehow retain potential credibility as to Packers linebacker Clay Matthews, Packers linebacker Julius Peppers, Steelers linebacker James Harrison, and free-agent defensive lineman Mike Neal. If/when the players deny knowing, talking to, texting, or emailing Sly, next will quite possibly come the request for (drum roll, please) their cellphones, so that the absence of any communications with Sly can be confirmed.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ped-interview/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by scharpcheddar View Post
    Vikings will run away with division at this point
    lol, wut?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    PFT with the occasional good points about why agreeing to be interviewed is dangerous in and of itself:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ped-interview/
    Just read that, and it does a good job of summing up how I feel about this.

It also makes me think 1 of 2 things about the Peyton interview.
    1. It gave them reason to believe something is going on, but they exonerated Peyton because a)they can't touch him b) he's Peyton
    2. They're happy there's nothing to see here, but want to exert their authority, mostly on Harrison.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Just read that, and it does a good job of summing up how I feel about this.

It also makes me think 1 of 2 things about the Peyton interview.
    1. It gave them reason to believe something is going on, but they exonerated Peyton because a)they can't touch him b) he's Peyton
    2. They're happy there's nothing to see here, but want to exert their authority, mostly on Harrison.
    Peyton also had a fall guy/bag women: his wife was actually getting treatments there. As long as the paperwork was in "order" she could take responsibility for any contact.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Just heard on another forum that the players have agreed to do the interviews. Can anyone confirm that?

lol, wut?
    If you ask some Vikings fans they are gonna win the SB this year.

Quote Originally Posted by GBkrzygrl View Post
    Just heard on another forum that the players have agreed to do the interviews. Can anyone confirm that?

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 23m23 minutes ago
    New from JSOnline and PackersNews: Matthews, Peppers agree to PED interviews http://ift.tt/2b7rYWj #Packers

Rob Demovsky
    ESPN Staff Writer

Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers have agreed to meet with the NFL regarding the Al-Jazeera PED investigation. According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, all players named have agreed to meet, although Steelers LB James Harrison has set certain stipulations for his Aug. 28 meeting. No date known yet for Matthews and Peppers' interviews.

In a letter from the NFL Players Association on behalf of Harrison, obtained by Rapoport, Harrison agreed to make himself available at 5 p.m. on August 29 at the Steelers' facility. In the statement, Harrison and the NFLPA "agree that this interview is occurring on a non-precedential basis" and reserve the right to fight any punishment stemming from the investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Rob Demovsky
    ESPN Staff Writer

Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers have agreed to meet with the NFL regarding the Al-Jazeera PED investigation. According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, all players named have agreed to meet, although Steelers LB James Harrison has set certain stipulations for his Aug. 28 meeting. No date known yet for Matthews and Peppers' interviews.
    I thought I read somewhere online earlier this evening Mike Neal has declined.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I thought I read somewhere online earlier this evening Mike Neal has declined.
    Neal didn't exactly give a clear denial when the story came out. I think he probably is guilty. If so, it would probably be the end to his career, because another violation of the substance abuse policy would probably be an indefinite suspension for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Neal didn't exactly give a clear denial when the story came out. I think he probably is guilty. If so, it would probably be the end to his career, because another violation of the substance abuse policy would probably be an indefinite suspension for him.
    That, but maybe as some writers are hypothesizing is that he is going to be the 'test case' the NFLPA will pursue on this matter.

So many subplots to all this, and I am torn about how I feel. I personally have very little doubt there is a lot of PED usage in the NFL. I understand's Patler's view, and agree that the NFL should look very closely at this or they risk a MLB-like congressional hearing. But Goodell's recent unprecedented usage of the Commissioner's powers is a problem too.

It's obvious the player's are a little surprised, and likely didn't quite know the extent of power he had - witness Rodger's comment about Goodell being "I think there’s probably too much pressure to come back to a deal when we had all the power on our side.” As PFT pointed out, that part of the commissioner's power has been around since the NFL's first CBA, it's just never been used (abused?) to this extent.
    --

And Harrison's request to have the interview filmed, and even televised is crazy - but crazy like a fox. There is definitely a need for transparency here, and doing this all behind closed doors is what could land this in court, or a congressional hearing!
    --

Televising it would be smart and the NFL will never agree to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Televising it would be smart and the NFL will never agree to do it.
    They wouldn't let him record his drug test either. I think a video recording* of the interview should be a requirement. After the Ray Rice video came out, there were conflicting versions of what he did and did not say during his interview, and nothing to refer back to.

*said video recording not to be safeguarded by whatever NFL department was in charge of the Patriot's practice tapes!
    --

a couple of baseball players named in the report have been exonerated.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    a couple of baseball players named in the report have been exonerated.
    Both met and cooperated with the MLB investigators. Sly did not.

lol, wut?

I damn near got hit in the head from that ball from left field.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    If you ask some Vikings fans they are gonna win the SB this year.

I heard the same from Packer fans last year, and every year previously.

It's that ole pre-season optimism.

^ Yeah, but this year I know I am right!