Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: THE NFC EAST

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Also need help, thesaurus failed me (or I failed in using said thesaurus).

Wanted to use a term for paying a price or penalty through a costly and dearly held mean. I think it often includes the idea of "a pound of flesh", which I had to substitute in the above post.

Its a term that I believe with origins in religious principles. Closely related to penance, but this word would be more specifically tied to the idea of a transaction, a giving up of one thing to another person. Probably also tied to reformation, Luther and the Catholic Church. Its going to drive me nuts for a couple of hours, maybe someone here can help.
    A pound of flesh is a Shakespeare term from "The Merchant of Venice".
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Retribution?
    Nope, not exactly. Close cousin perhaps. Paying a tribute (forced compensation of some sort) would come closer. But the term I have in mind is almost always used in active sense against the payer. Very similar to extracting a pound of flesh.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    So let's look at this word mathematically :

Paying a costly price for something held dear + a pound of flesh + giving up something to another person + a few nuts = ?

Could the word you are looking for be "sacrifice" ?

If I'm correct , as a reward I would like to gain a bit of future kindness maybe ?
    In the ball park here. But a sacrifice would be a dear price to pay for something you wish (often the sacrifice is someone or something else). My search is something you must pay but in most circumstances you would wish to avoid. You have done or achieved something you desired despite what it will now cost.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    A pound of flesh is a Shakespeare term from "The Merchant of Venice".
    Yep. And mine a similar idea, less well expressed. Shorter though, because I think its a word not a phrase.

Also need help, thesaurus failed me (or I failed in using said thesaurus).

Wanted to use a term for paying a price or penalty through a costly and dearly held mean. I think it often includes the idea of "a pound of flesh", which I had to substitute in the above post.

Its a term that I believe with origins in religious principles. Closely related to penance, but this word would be more specifically tied to the idea of a transaction, a giving up of one thing to another person. Probably also tied to reformation, Luther and the Catholic Church. Its going to drive me nuts for a couple of hours, maybe someone here can help.
    Luther vs the CC was about 'indulgences' as in the sale of indulgences (pre-payment for future sins).

Other payment words with religious connotations could be tributes or tithes.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

In the ball park here. But a sacrifice would be a dear price to pay for something you wish (often the sacrifice is someone or something else). My search is something you must pay but in most circumstances you would wish to avoid. You have done or achieved something you desired despite what it will now cost.
    Not a word, but 'paying the piper' comes to mind with this description.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Not a word, but 'paying the piper' comes to mind with this description.
    Similar idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Luther vs the CC was about 'indulgences' as in the sale of indulgences (pre-payment for future sins).

Other payment words with religious connotations could be tributes or tithes.
    All similar territory. As this day has gone on, it has occurred to me I might be thinking of an idiom. But wages of sin is the closest I can think of and that wasn't it.

I believe this thread has sacrificed enough on this indulgence . I'd hate to see this thread pay any more tribute looking for an elusive word/phrase . The NFC East was the original thread idea. I believe that we may escape retribution if we tithe no more on this idiom. After all the wages of sin often result in taxing results .

And now, back to football !

If your not the lead dog , then the view never changes !

Came close with the dictionary definitions for indulgences.

NFL Films Tribute to Vince Lombardi

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    More Shakespeare! Once more into the breach!
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Now Dallas and Philly and Redskin and Giants, On Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzon . Now dash away , dash away, dash away all !

Washington wins again as the former Packer GM Scot McCloughan stocks the team with more talent, but the QB ends the season with another first round flameout.

Eagles are in disarray on offense (QB?) and Dallas falls out of playoff when Romo is hurt again and Dak Prescott proves to be a good pre-season player, but not ready for prime time.

Jerry then fires his kids.

The more I think about it, the more I think tribute was the word I was looking for. Capologists extract tribute.

Still not 100%.

Washington wins again as the former Packer GM Scot McCloughan stocks the team with more talent, but the QB ends the season with another first round flameout.

Eagles are in disarray on offense (QB?) and Dallas falls out of playoff when Romo is hurt again and Dak Prescott proves to be a good pre-season player, but not ready for prime time.

Jerry then fires his kids.
    Called it.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 15m15 minutes ago
    WATCH: Tony Romo exits game after suffering apparent back injury - http://CBSSports.com

Too bad.

Matt Flynn is an available Free Agent (Gunslinger QB). He would love Dallas .

Cowboys look to be the strength of that division, no question. Heck, some probably delusional Cowgirl fans are hoping that backup QB becomes the starter. Of course, I will never forget the Packers playing the Cowboys years ago at Thanksgiving, and the Dallas starter was out (was it Roger Staubach? Or Troy Aikman?) was out, so it looked good for the Pack. Then some backup nobody ever heard of - I think his name was Jason Garrett - came in and slung the ball all over the place and beat the Pack.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Cowboys look to be the strength of that division, no question. Heck, some probably delusional Cowgirl fans are hoping that backup QB becomes the starter. Of course, I will never forget the Packers playing the Cowboys years ago at Thanksgiving, and the Dallas starter was out (was it Roger Staubach? Or Troy Aikman?) was out, so it looked good for the Pack. Then some backup nobody ever heard of - I think his name was Jason Garrett - came in and slung the ball all over the place and beat the Pack.
    So true O mighty Fritz ! Sometimes when your watching the boys, a cow can horn you right in the ass . So in my opinion Dallas' QB is not the primary weapon this season, it's their rookie RB Elliot that will be wearing the horns this season .

Do not however discount Washington this year, they have been that quiet team that without fanfare have been steadily improving. Gruden has this team grinding in the right direction, even as they have had an injury setback at RB, but I'll bet they resolve that situation and continue to move forward . They might be the Sleeper Team that catches many off their guard this season .

ok...(sigh)...i think romo's hurt. i think it's a disc. he was limping around in street clothes after the game. if i'm right and he ends up needing a procedure it falls on the rookie. as good as he seems to be he'll struggle as rookies do. they won't win the division. if i'm wrong...nevermind.

Romo has a broken bone in his back. He needs to retire. Seriously.