Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: THE NFC EAST

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Redskins and Cowboys are quality teams. Giants are a mess. Eagles? Quite possibly the NFC's worst team. Dogshit squaaaaaad.
    I would point out that these Eagles have defeated both Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh so far this preseason . Furthermore , in case you have not noticed , the Eagles new Head Coach is Doug Pederson . You remember GB's backup QB to B. Favre . He earned my respect then and I don't expect that he has changed . To gain some insight as to his quality, one need only look at who he hired for his OC, it's Frank Reich. He was Jim Kelly's backup QB in Buffalo. Pederson was always prepared as a Packer and none should underestimate him know .

If your not the lead dog , then the view never changes !

Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    I would point out that these Eagles have defeated both Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh so far this preseason . Furthermore , in case you have not noticed , the Eagles new Head Coach is Doug Pederson . You remember GB's backup QB to B. Favre . He earned my respect then and I don't expect that he has changed . To gain some insight as to his quality, one need only look at who he hired for his OC, it's Frank Reich. He was Jim Kelly's backup QB in Buffalo. Pederson was always prepared as a Packer and none should underestimate him know .
    The next time a team beating another team in preseason means anything will be the first.

As for Peterson and his coordinators, they may well be good coaches, but Philly was left as a mess. It will almost certainly take a few years, even if the right people are in place.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

I like the direction that Philadelphia is headed, but they are probably two years away. Chip Kelly damaged that franchise. I was impressed with Wentz in their first preseason game--even though his stats were ordinary.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Pederson got Wentz hurt by playing him very late in the 4th with the scrubs. Given all they gave up to get him, it was monumentally stupid. A five for two trade of picks which includes NEXT years number 1 and they played him with 4 minutes left in the first preseason game.

Idiots.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I figured defending Jerry Jones would bring that kind of response. Just the same, he has done a good job of team building. Their O Line is second to none which is gonna make Morris have a good year even if Elliot doesn't. Jones resisted the hype to draft a QB early or to sign a retread. Their D is more than decent in the front seven. They have had bad luck with injuries among the DBs, but I expect my second favorite team to be one of the toughest on the Packer schedule and a clear top team in the fairly lame NFC East.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Many of Jerry's best decisions lately have been the ones he has left to Stephen to make. Including most of his stellar offensive line.
    Yep. Jerruh no longer is the GM of the Cowboys. He's handed that duty off to his son...and his son is a much better GM (i.e. trusts the scouts/board, doesn't let ego get in the way) at making good value picks. The growth in depth on their roster in the last 2-3 years is entirely the result of Stephen taking over those responsibilities.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    The next time a team beating another team in preseason means anything will be the first.

As for Peterson and his coordinators, they may well be good coaches, but Philly was left as a mess. It will almost certainly take a few years, even if the right people are in place.
    +1, 3 years ago they might have had one of the best rosters with the most dynamic playmakers in the NFL. Chip Kelly took care of that and now they are going to have to rebuild.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I figured defending Jerry Jones would bring that kind of response. Just the same, he has done a good job of team building. Their O Line is second to none which is gonna make Morris have a good year even if Elliot doesn't. Jones resisted the hype to draft a QB early or to sign a retread. Their D is more than decent in the front seven. They have had bad luck with injuries among the DBs, but I expect my second favorite team to be one of the toughest on the Packer schedule and a clear top team in the fairly lame NFC East.
    So their actual performance over the last 20 years means nothing??

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    So their actual performance over the last 20 years means nothing??
    He's owned the team for 27 years - starting from a deep hole. You conveniently want to only consider the last 20? They have been up and down, a net of about .500 - a helluva lot of teams have done worse - and that's with more than their share of bad luck with injuries.

Regarding the son taking over, make no mistake who still holds the power and has the final say.

He's owned the team for 27 years - starting from a deep hole. You conveniently want to only consider the last 20? They have been up and down, a net of about .500 - a helluva lot of teams have done worse - and that's with more than their share of bad luck with injuries.

Regarding the son taking over, make no mistake who still holds the power and has the final say.
    If more Rats had Tex's attitude about what constitutes success for an NFL GM, there would be far fewer calls for Ted Thompson's head. If Jerry Jones is out-GM-ing most GM's, then Ted is truly a God.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

As I wrote when I looked at the last 20 years, I did it because those are the years of salary cap football. As I said originally, he had success when he could simply outspend other teams, because there was no salary cap. Since he has had deal with a hard salary cap, he is basically a .500 GM. You can't excuse 20 years by "bad luck". He is a ho hum gm under the constraints of a salary cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    As I wrote when I looked at the last 20 years, I did it because those are the years of salary cap football. As I said originally, he had success when he could simply outspend other teams, because there was no salary cap. Since he has had deal with a hard salary cap, he is basically a .500 GM. You can't excuse 20 years by "bad luck". He is a ho hum gm under the constraints of a salary cap.
    Interesting theory, but I doubt it's true. Jerry Jones barely had the money to scrape together and buy the Cowboys for a bargain price. He more resembled George Halas than say Paul Allen or Lamar Hunt. The team made a lot of money, and the franchise got a lot more valuable, hence he is probably filthy rich now, but I doubt even now that he has the money of some other owners who had billions before buying teams.

Interesting theory, but I doubt it's true. Jerry Jones barely had the money to scrape together and buy the Cowboys for a bargain price. He more resembled George Halas than say Paul Allen or Lamar Hunt. The team made a lot of money, and the franchise got a lot more valuable, hence he is probably filthy rich now, but I doubt even now that he has the money of some other owners who had billions before buying teams.
    The Cowboys were widely known to have a much larger payroll than much of the league prior to the salary cap. Maybe there were a few richer owners, but Jones had money from his oil and gas business that he was willing to spend on football players. As I remember it, the Cowboys were pointed at as one of the reasons that a salary cap was needed. They had an owner willing to buy championships.

Jerry Jones barely had the money to scrape together and buy the Cowboys for a bargain price.
    I didn't recall Jones getting any bargain at the time, in fact I recalled the sale being costly for that day and age. So I looked up prices that other teams were sold for at about that time:

1984 Chargers - $70 million
    1984 Broncos - $78 million
    1985 Saints - $70 million
    1989 Cowboys - $150 million
    1994 Patriots - $172 million
    1994 Eagles - $185 million
    1995 Bucs - $192 million
    1997 Seahawks - $197 million

At twice the cost of teams sold just 4 or 5 seasons earlier and only somewhat (15-25%) less than teams sold in the following 8 years, the sale of the Cowboys seemed to set a new value level for NFL teams.

All the more reason he didn't have big money to throw around in the pre-cap era as you implied.

All the more reason he didn't have big money to throw around in the pre-cap era as you implied.
    But he did. The Cowboys were the Yankees of the NFL, outspending most everyone, as I recall.
    As I said, it was Jones' Cowboys that drove home the need for a salary cap.

Jerry spent a lot of his wealth acquiring the Cowboys, that is true. but he did it by taking on an incredible amount of debt.

He serviced that debt by doing everything he could to turn every fan interaction into a turnstile charging admission. Also he was a leader in naming rights and sponsorships.

He violated League dictates about local sponsorships that competed with national ones (League was sponsored by Coke, Cowboys Stadium by Pepsi). One of young lackey Roger Goodall's first jobs was to negotiate with Jerry over this conflict of sponsorships. In a sign of future hand kowtowing, Goodell convinced the League to go along with the local deals.

Everything you can think of Dan Snyder doing to charge his pubic and fans (and the Packers are headed this way too), Jerry was doing first. Danny excels at it giving his marketing background and Robert Kraft probably has executed the best, but Jerry got there first.

And given the cash windfall he was now reaping, he and the 49ers spent a LOT of money in the new cap era (early to mid 90s). They were the teams that everyone thought would break the rest of the League. But eventually the cap accountants caught up to them and extracted a pound of flesh. Jerry went nearly cap broke trying to keep the triplets together with Deion, but he never was not shy on spending cash for players.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Also need help, thesaurus failed me (or I failed in using said thesaurus).

Wanted to use a term for paying a price or penalty through a costly and dearly held mean. I think it often includes the idea of "a pound of flesh", which I had to substitute in the above post.

Its a term that I believe with origins in religious principles. Closely related to penance, but this word would be more specifically tied to the idea of a transaction, a giving up of one thing to another person. Probably also tied to reformation, Luther and the Catholic Church. Its going to drive me nuts for a couple of hours, maybe someone here can help.

Wanted to use a term for paying a price or penalty through a costly and dearly held mean. I think it often includes the idea of "a pound of flesh", which I had to substitute in the above post.

Its a term that I believe with origins in religious principles. Closely related to penance, but this word would be more specifically tied to the idea of a transaction, a giving up of one thing to another person. Probably also tied to reformation, Luther and the Catholic Church. Its going to drive me nuts for a couple of hours, maybe someone here can help.
    Retribution?

So let's look at this word mathematically :

Paying a costly price for something held dear + a pound of flesh + giving up something to another person + a few nuts = ?

Could the word you are looking for be "sacrifice" ?

If I'm correct , as a reward I would like to gain a bit of future kindness maybe ?

If your not the lead dog , then the view never changes !