Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Packers may have to waste a roster spot....

I think Callahan has a long way to go to get past being a guy who might be entertaining to watch and become a guy who can actually win regular season games if you need him too. Good guy for the PS, maybe capable of being #2 if/when Hundley or Rodgers is traded.

I don't see Green Bay carrying 3 QBs. It is a complete waste in today's NFL, especially when you have a guy like Cobb who could probably be a decent emergency #3 during a week when all hell breaks loose...which happens very rarely. If we are using a #3 QB...we probably aren't winning that game regardless of who the third guy to step under center is.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    I don't see Green Bay carrying 3 QBs. It is a complete waste in today's NFL, especially when you have a guy like Cobb who could probably be a decent emergency #3 during a week when all hell breaks loose...which happens very rarely. If we are using a #3 QB...we probably aren't winning that game regardless of who the third guy to step under center is.
    They may be forced to. If Hundley is maybe a week or two, or three away from being ready to play at the end of TC they will have to keep someone to be #2 those weeks.

I agree that if Hundley is completely healthy there isn't much reason to keep three, since their third this year isn't like Hundley was last year, a guy you didn't want to lose. They wouldn't have three active on game days, so their 3rd qb can just as well be on the practice squad.

This is dredging up awful memories of that Seneca Wallace/Vince-from-Texas season of backup disaster.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I think Callahan has a long way to go to get past being a guy who might be entertaining to watch and become a guy who can actually win regular season games if you need him too. Good guy for the PS, maybe capable of being #2 if/when Hundley or Rodgers is traded.
    Are you still thinking this way after the SF game?

I think Callahan looks so good that the Packers should consider keeping 3. Callahan is worth the roster spot, even if Hundley is healthy. With Hundley behind schedule, 3 makes more sense.

How did Callahan look against the 9ers' starters? I like him too but he isn't ready to be the #2 guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    How did Callahan look against the 9ers' starters? I like him too but he isn't ready to be the #2 guy.
    His 1st drive went nowhere because he was sacked on 1st down when Rodgers missed a block. Not sure when 49ers started pulling starters. He got better as the game wore on (against lesser competition), as has been the case.

I find it hard to believe that another team would scoop up a D3 QB with no NFL experience with a roster spot. He is probably safe on the practice squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    I find it hard to believe that another team would scoop up a D3 QB with no NFL experience with a roster spot. He is probably safe on the practice squad.
    I agree. Few if any teams are interested in signing a QB at that point that doesn't know their offense. And even if they did, they'd be looking for someone with some experience who can pick up the offense quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Whether his background is D3, Arena Football, or Pee Wee football really just alters the projection of how he'll handle the NFL. Throw that out now. He's shown in preseason that he has poise, playmaking ability, and a nice touch on the long ball. Of course he is not ready. No rookie is ready. But he's showing he has the the ability of a drafted QB. I agree that no team is likely to sign him for opening week. But what happens when players get injured? Some team will sign him off the practice squad to be a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Whether his background is D3, Arena Football, or Pee Wee football really just alters the projection of how he'll handle the NFL. Throw that out now. He's shown in preseason that he has poise, playmaking ability, and a nice touch on the long ball. Of course he is not ready. No rookie is ready. But he's showing he has the the ability of a drafted QB. I agree that no team is likely to sign him for opening week. But what happens when players get injured? Some team will sign him off the practice squad to be a backup.
    At which point Packers will offer him enough money to entice him to stay. Hundley will likely be traded following the 2017 season, at which point he becomes the backup to 34 year old Aaron Rodgers.

I think Callahan looks so good that the Packers should consider keeping 3. Callahan is worth the roster spot, even if Hundley is healthy. With Hundley behind schedule, 3 makes more sense.
    I agree. He looks really good. Something says he's a d3 player and nobody is going to take him. But then I watched him play and when i throw out what I think I know, all i see is a young, exciting player that seems well worth a roster spot. It's interesting. I'll bet it's a conversation. And I get the feeling mm likes calling plays for him and working with him. He's good and he's competitive. He moves the ball and scores. I just feel like he's a leader and driven and has heart and determination and focus. There is something there and it's contagious. He just finds a way to make plays. Plus, he moves well and throws well too. He's really exciting.

I don't want to lose him.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    At which point Packers will offer him enough money to entice him to stay.
    Why would Packers be in a position to pay more? Callahan is going to go to team where he has greatest opportunity to advance.

Think of some of the slugs that GB has carried on their roster in the past. Graham "Cracker" Harrell, for instance. Callahan looks like a better prospect than many.

The 49ers took Tolziien on waivers before he was NFL ready, let him ride a couple years as a #3. Some team may be tempted to grab Callahan, he looks better than a mid round draft pick.

Yes, I do; but I also think it is becoming very likely that he makes the final 53 because Hundley will still be gimpy by the time the season starts. GB will be more comfortable with Callahan than anyone else that may be available.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Yes, I do; but I also think it is becoming very likely that he makes the final 53 because Hundley will still be gimpy by the time the season starts. GB will be more comfortable with Callahan than anyone else that may be available.
    Maybe Callahan can take Pennel's roster spot for four games while Hundley heals. By then he'll be less able to pick up another team's system.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    The key is how close Hundley is to being able to play. If he's healthy enough to play, and doesn't need to (hopefully), then he can heal up even more holding a clipboard to start the season, and you pray that Rodgers doesn't get hurt before Hundley would be pressed into action. It's a calculated risk. If Hundley's not ready to play week one, then you have to carry Callahan. With no second FB this year, the Packers will have another roster spot. I agree with those who say Callahan would clear waivers and be signed to the practice squad. It sucks that Hundley got injured, but the silver lining is that we got to see Callahan with the 1's and the 2's. Now, we just need Hundley to stay healthy, and for Callahan to have the scout team and mental reps to develop him even more. I think he could be a gamer. That said, you hope he rots on the depth chart!
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

^ CP has a point. They might simply have decided to shelve Hundley to let the ankle heal and protect him. Plan is for him is to be on roster at #2 in Week 1.

They will try to get one of the two snuck through waivers. However, after his last performance, that might be tough. One or two more injuries and the emergency QB list will be very short for other teams.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

If Hundley is not healthy then there is no tough decision to face.

Everybody says practice squad because it is the comfy cake-and-eat-it-too outcome. And you might be right that it can happen.

I wonder how many people would sacrifice a roster spot for Callahan if they thought that this was the price to keep him in the fold. I say he's proven that value. What say you?

I doubt any other team would sign Callahan to be their #2, so that leaves two questions:
    - Would any team sign him on their 53 man roster as a #3 QB?
    - Would any team sign him to their PS?

I think the answer to the first is very few if any.

I think the answer to the second question is, yes, many teams would. Then the Packers have to ask themselves if Callahan would prefer PS on a different team to PS in Green Bay. I don't know the answer to that.

I still think Callahan will make the final 53 due to uncertainty about Hundley.

The Gagliardi Trophy is not exactly an NFL highway. But I do recognize the name Jim Ballard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gagliardi_Trophy

Justin Beaver?