Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Packers may have to waste a roster spot....

Packers may have to waste a roster spot....

They may have to waste a roster spot on a 3rd QB. I had been thinking they might go with just Hundley as a backup on the 53 man roster and then have a 3rd on PS. If Hundley is gimpy for a couple weeks, they might want to protect themselves at backup QB.

yeah, there isn't much there to show that he can stay healthy

and if he can't stay healthy, do we need to look at a little better option for our #2 or #3 QB. i'm not convinced by the little of watched of the undrafted rookie

Matt Flynn will be back. I hate the thought, but position is too thin.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

and if he can't stay healthy, do we need to look at a little better option for our #2 or #3 QB. i'm not convinced by the little of watched of the undrafted rookie
    I'm not concerned about him staying healthy after he gets healthy, but an ankle sprain that has now been reaggrevated could keep him gimpy for a while. Too bad, because I thought he did some nice things.

It depends on how bad the sprain is. If it's the regular season, maybe he plays on it.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Jumbo Rat HOFer

He got rolled up on. No one gets out of that without a sprained ankle. That isn't like being hit and getting a concussion.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

so, does no one have a problem going into the regular season with a backup who has almost no game experience?

this was the preseason where hundley would get all the work he needed to be ready to go if a-rod goes down

he's gotten almost none of the game time and missed a ton of practice time

after missing the whole preseason, will he be ready to be the #2?

so, does no one have a problem going into the regular season with a backup who has almost no game experience?

this was the preseason where hundley would get all the work he needed to be ready to go if a-rod goes down

I don't see them picking up somebody off the scrap heap who doesn't know the offense. They've gone into other seasons without an experienced backup (Flynn/Brohm in 2008, Graham Harrell in 2012). Unless they decide to bring Matt Flynn back (Can he still throw?), I think they'll roll the dice with what they have.

I'm fine with Hundley, assuming he is ready physically. They have said he looked very good in practice, and has good command of the offense. He's been around for a year. Besides, what other options are there?

If they do waste a spot on the 53, it better be Callahan, not some worn out has been. It's highly unlikely the guy would be used anyway, and it's also likely Hundley will be OK by the first regular game.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    If they do waste a spot on the 53, it better be Callahan, not some worn out has been. It's highly unlikely the guy would be used anyway, and it's also likely Hundley will be OK by the first regular game.
    I assume it will be one of the two others currently on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I'm fine with Hundley, assuming he is ready physically. They have said he looked very good in practice, and has good command of the offense. He's been around for a year. Besides, what other options are there?
    i agree he looks to have what you want in a backup QB, but he's missing valuable game time experience that young QB's really need

the talent is definitely there, the experience is not

Is Brian Brohm still practice squad eligible?

Perhaps we can put Callahan on the SP just for this emergency. Of course if Rodgers goes down and Hundley can't play it won't matter anyway...

The Red Sox suffered for 80 years when Babe Ruth was traded to the Yankees. The Packers allowed their own prize to slip away to the Colts, and now they must suffer the curse of the Tolzieno.

Personally, I'm more concerned about Rodgers staying healthy all year.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Hundley wants to be just like Rodgers so he is just mimicking Rodgers early career. Injured in preseason, nobody really knows how good he is, etc.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

i agree he looks to have what you want in a backup QB, but he's missing valuable game time experience that young QB's really need

the talent is definitely there, the experience is not
    Sure, having more experience would be a good thing, but I'm not concerned about it going into the season, so long as he is healthy enough to be counted on as the backup.

That said, Rodgers was the #2 QB his first season. I can't find preseason stats for 2005, but I assume he didn't play significantly more than in 2006, when he was 22/38. Back in those days, the starters played a lot more in preseason than they do now. In 2006, Favre was 34/58, so had a lot more attempts than Rodgers did in 2006.

Last year Hundley was 45/65 in the preseason. If that is about all he has going into this season, he probably has more experience than Rodgers had when he took over as the #2 QB in 2005. It would be nice if he had more experience, but I'm not concerned about it.

i think we'll be fine for the season unless calahan gets hurt in the next two games.

I like Callahan. I wouldn't want to lose him anyway.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.