Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: O-line roster

O-line roster

This is turning into an interesting situation.

Spriggs and Murphy have each had their moments, both good and bad; but overall seem to have justified their selections, so far. Obviously Spriggs will make the final roster, and I doubt they will risk exposing Murphy to waivers in an attempt to get him to the PS. Tackles are too valuable.

Lane Taylor received a good contract, and went into camp as a virtual lock for a backup guard spot. He has not played well in the two games, and reports are that he has not looked good in practices either.

Rotheram was given a big boost in salary toward the end of last year to keep him in GB, so seemed to have somewhat of an inside track to a roster spot, or PS, as well. He, too has not played well in practices, and is now injured to boot.

Josh Walker, who seemed to be a long shot as no higher than the 5th guard or 5th tackle has looked better than either Taylor or Rotheram, but also has been not awful at tackle as well. Versatility is important in the backup OL spots.

Barclay continues to show his versatility, and by all accounts seems to be closer to his pre-injury performance than to his performance last year.

Linsley remains in limbo, and could be looking at PUP to start the season if he doesn't get on the field soon. With Rotheram out and not having played well before that, Barclay could be the #2 center at the start of the year.

The opening 53 man roster could include both Walker and Barclay, who seemed like very long shots going into camp, and neither Linsley nor Taylor, who seemed to be sure bets, or Rotheram who seemed to have a chance as a g/c.

Just saw that they reached an injury settlement with Rotheram. He's gone.

He was one of the "plums" of the undrafted free agents last year. Reportedly a lot of teams made offers to him.

About Rotheram from last year:

http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/s...otheram-051515

With the amount of attention that the former University of Pittsburgh right guard was receiving, it's clear that Green Bay landed itself one of the draft's highest-priority free agents.

Of the 15 free-agent contracts he was offered, Rotheram decided it impossible to turn down Green Bay.

Rotheram was a technically sound mauler in the run game at Pittsburgh. No offensive guard in all of college football received a higher run-blocking grade in 2014 from ProFootballFocus than Rotheram. The only guard in the draft with a lower percentage of negatively graded plays was Detroit's first-round pick, Laken Tomlinson.

Didn't somebody here advocate trading an OL this off-season because we had too many players there. Things can change quick.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Walker also go hurt recently. Its very interesting at backup guard right now. Which means walking pile of mediocrity Barclay looks good by comparison.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Didn't somebody here advocate trading an OL this off-season because we had too many players there. Things can change quick.
    I know some questioned why Barclay was resigned. Now we might be glad to have him.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Walker also go hurt recently. Its very interesting at backup guard right now. Which means walking pile of mediocrity Barclay looks good by comparison.
    Linsley better start practicing there.

I think they keep 9 this year:

Locks:

Bahhtiari
    Sitton
    Tretter
    Lang
    Bulaga
    Spriggs
    Linsley (Unless PUP or IR)

Good Chance:

Barclay

In the hunt:

Taylor
    Walker
    Murphy

Right now, I have:

Bahktiari, Sitton, Tretter, Lang, Bulaga, Spriggs, Barclay (backup OC), Murphy, Walker

PUP Linsley
    PS Patrick
    Cut Taylor
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

We are rapidly approaching the point where it makes more sense to PUP Linsley than activate him.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

i would dump barclay for one of the younger guys

the guy lost it after the injury

There's a lot of speculation here, so I may as well chip in with mine. The heaping pile of mediocrity kinda rings true. We'll learn more about that when the time comes to sign (or not) all those soon to be free agents. There's hope two drafted rookies rise above this, but I can't see them breaking into the top six early on. The Packers, it seems, just don't do things that way. I saw Murphy referred to as a "gamer"; Well, Josh Walker seems like just the opposite - hot shit in practice, just plain shit in games. Barclay's picture should be next to "mediocrity" in the dictionary, when healthy and on a good day that is. Taylor is a cut or two below that.

Just as totally uninformed speculation, I think Linsley will be off the PUP list soon and make the 53. Him plus the starters plus the draftees plus sadly, Barclay would be my guess. I just hope we don't keep ten of them.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i would dump barclay for one of the younger guys

the guy lost it after the injury
    He might not be able to play Tackle anymore, but with Linsley out he's the backup Center. I think he's been okay there. He could become expendable when Linsley comes back though.

I agree with Harv and I love the option of putting Lindsly on PUP and we'll get into that in just a minute.

This topic is very interesting. Its relevant both for right now and for the very near future.

Signing an NFL player (non QB, K or P) over the age of 30, the odds are against them. With that said, I expect at least one of Lang and/or Sitton to be gone next year. Sitton is a damn good player. He might even be able till play till he's 34 or 35. But the odds are against it. Lang is going to be 30 next year september and he's never been a probowl player. He's only getting worse. Price pending, moving on could very well be the best move for both, especially if Walker pans out at RG because Tretter looks like a good bet to be a good LG and Lindsley will eventually be back.

Bahktiari is a decent LT when healthy. I worry a little bit because he said his ankle is permanently changed. I'm worried to see what that means.

So we have a lot of uncertainty both with age and injury at a very important position. We need all the good players we can get for next year.

Bahktiari (health risk, need a decent backup) / Spriggs
    Lang (age, need a decent backup) / Murphy
    Tretter (good young player) / Lindsley (can move tretter around once lindsley is off PUP)
    Sitton (age, need a good backup) / Walker (I'm a fan of Walker. I like his chances)
    Bulaga (health risk, need a good backup) / Barlcay

I'm really hoping Bahk's health pans out. The odds of finding another decent LT are slim, even with a D2 pick. I have no guess at this or prediction. Spriggs is a total wild card and so is Bahks ankle.

I imagine we're going to lose both Lang and Sitton. I picture Tretter/Lindsley/Walker as our inside trio next season. This makes Barclay almost a no brainer. He might even be the rare 6th man who gets a legit 2nd contract. We could very well be going into next year with no LT and only one decent backup at any other position, maybe 2 if Murphy pans out.

But, maybe Bahk turns out, and Spriggs is a good backup at OT. Walker shows up, Tretter locks down the LG spot for 5 more years, Lindsley locks down the center spot, Bulaga stays relatively healthy and Barclay is a utility guy. Maybe we're just fine long term.

It's just a lot of wait and see and a very interesting topic going into the season and throughout the season. If the young backups show something this year, that will give us something to be excited for going forward. If they flounder, we might be biting our nails looking ahead.
    Last edited by RashanGary; 08-22-2016 at 08:47 PM.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Going into TC I was hoping one of Taylor and Rotheram would show potential to fill a starting guard spot at least for a few years in place of either Sitton or Lang. Resigning one would take care of the position for a few years.

On the other hand, there is no indication that either Sitton or Lang is on his last legs just yet. Maybe that will be indicated in the coming season (Sitton's back, Langs shoulder). If not, then each should be good for another 2 or 3 seasons after this year. The Packers seem to be good at getting players to sign 3 or 4 year contracts that have little or no salary cap penalties if the last year or two aren't fulfilled. That could allow GB to keep one or both through their full productive careers. A lot will depend on whether they are interested in being paid well to stay in GB for their entire career, or using the end of their career to get as much money as possible.

I think they triied to set themselves up to let Bakhtiari walk after this season. Not sure if Spriggs will be ready to step in or not, but I think that is what they hope.

I can't wrap my head around keeping Barclay on the roster. He's terrible. It's disappointing that no other guard can serve as emergency center.

To be fair to Barclay, he was terrible last year coming back from ACL surgery. He was not terrible his first couple years when he started 18 games.

Barclay is like your right hand. Not nearly as good as the real thing, but it'll get you by.

Not you, specifically, Patler. Just the general population "you."
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    To be fair to Barclay, he was terrible last year coming back from ACL surgery. He was not terrible his first couple years when he started 18 games.
    He did follow that up by playing badly versus the Browns two weeks ago. But McCarthy said he has been better at Center.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He did follow that up by playing badly versus the Browns two weeks ago. But McCarthy said he has been better at Center.
    That was his first game ever at center, and wasn't he "OK" except for one or two plays?
    I've forgotten, did he play guard or tackle that game, or just center?