Thread: Attacking the Pack, Early Season

Attacking the Pack, Early Season

As we all know, all too well, the Packers generally are slow out of the gate. I expect that will be the case this year, because the first few opponents, at least, might be game-planning on defense and offense with certain ideas in mind (not accounting for each team's own weaknesses and strengths).

Opponents' defenses:

Knowing that Jordy Nelson will be easing his way back in slowly, there would seem to be no reason to change the approach teams took the second half of last year: stack the box against the run (and against Rodgers's running) and make the Packers prove they can beat you deep.

Opponents' offenses:

The Packers appeared to be stacked at the back end, and the linebacking corps looks capable of providing some pass rush and some pass coverage. However, the Packers' defensive line looks weak against the run without Pennel, so . . . if you run the ball against them, over and over, you hit them where they are weak. If they're in base, their personnel doesn't look particularly strong. If they go nickel or dime you're running against their pass defense.

Special Teams:

On kickoffs, pop-ups to about the five or so will most likely result in Micah Hyde being tackled at the 17 yard line. On punts, try not to snicker when Masthay or Mortell shanks the third punt of the game.

Other ideas? And if you're the Packers' coaches, how do you scheme against these approaches?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I agree that they will see a lot of man coverage until they prove they can beat it. I hope McCarthy has diversified his offense away from the trend of the no huddle.

Offenses will attach the Packers D in the middle. I hope the new ILBs make that much much harder. Either through better coverage or better blitzing. I actually have more hope for coverage than blitzing. We'll see.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

IMO, Screens , Running plays, and short pattern passes will be heavy on GB's early play menu this season . Passing will be option B for the most part and unless needed. The Running attack will feature Lacy and Starks, with a little Ripkowski sprinkled in along the way . I would be thrilled to see some 2 TE sets enter the Packer offensive picture .

The Passing Attack, IMO, will develop slower than most will like to see . Yet they will improve steadily and by Mid October should be showing up on Radar Screens across the league . There will be flashes and highlight plays before November, but I believe Rodgers will have his targets fully trained and functioning at top speed by Mid-Season . GB should have one of / if not the most dangerous Offense in All the league .

My great concern still lies in how good the 2016 Packer Defense will be .

If your not the lead dog , then the view never changes !

The Packers signed Jared Cook to force opposing safeties to play coverage downfield instead of playing in the box all day. I also think you'll see Rodgers taking more shots downfield to both Jordy and a healthy Adams. Some success there would certainly open things up for Cobb/Abby/Montgomery underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    The Packers signed Jared Cook to force opposing safeties to play coverage downfield instead of playing in the box all day. I also think you'll see Rodgers taking more shots downfield to both Jordy and a healthy Adams. Some success there would certainly open things up for Cobb/Abby/Montgomery underneath.
    Cook is really the big unknown. How well will he perform over the long haul? How well will MM incorporate him into the offense?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Agreed. Defenses tend to focus too much on last year, at least early in the season. A smart DC will expect Rodgers to try to go deep, with at least 2-3 long shots early in the game. I'd try to bait him into thinking the safety is playing up, and drop him back. Let the front 7 handle Lacy until he proves that he is actually better than last year, and prove that the line can get the job done. Make sure you have a guy who can shadow Cook, TE's have been a focus in the preseason. Frustrate Rodgers early then start mixing in blitzes.

On offense, attack the soft middle with runs up the gut until the bring a safety down, then throw over the top to the TE. Until Pennel comes back, the Packers may need to score like 2011 to win.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

if jordy is jordy we'll be fine. cook is going to be a monster. cobb is healthy and won't be the focus, eddie is back, adams seems better, and, imo, look out for abby. everthing hinges on jordy being jordy. d was good last year and will be better this year.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Even with an improved running game the Packers are a pass first team. You don't waste an MVP QB by being a run first offense. If Lacy can bring some balance to the run game teams better watch out. This O could put up big points again this year with a field stretching TE.

The Packers glaring weakness, ILB for the past few seasons, looks like it might be fixed and at the least is trending in a much better direction. The Packer D last year kept the team in game after game, a large improvement over 2014. If they can make a similar improvement this year we could be in for a fun ride in January.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    As to Fritz's question:

Jacksonville will be playing aggressive man D to start. Why not stay with what was working at the end of last year? It will be up to Cobb, Nelson and Cook to stretch the field to force the JAGs off the line. If the Pack can't do that, we will see that type of D every week. When ARod starts hitting the 50+ yard TDs to Nelson again teams will have to start playing two deep safety.

On O, I would attack the Packers middle over and over again. Runs and passes. Force the Packers to show that they have improved. I would also go run heavy against the Packers. The back half of the defense looks like the strength this year.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston