Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: O-line roster

Last year Barclay managed to look OK by mid-season, but then his play steadily dropped. The end of the year couldn't come soon enough for him.

I think the fact that Barclay is being given a 2nd chance at center is an indication of a shortage of playable linemen league wide. I agree the fact that he was decent in 2013 (yes, it was that long ago) is what keeps hope alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Last year Barclay managed to look OK by mid-season, but then his play steadily dropped. The end of the year couldn't come soon enough for him.

I think the fact that Barclay is being given a 2nd chance at center is an indication of a shortage of playable linemen league wide. I agree the fact that he was decent in 2013 (yes, it was that long ago) is what keeps hope alive.
    Of course it was 2013 that he last played well. He missed all of 2014 due the training camp injury, and struggled in 2015 coming back from it, as we all agree.

If Barclay can get them through a game at multiple positions he has significant value on the game day roster. Even if he is not the best backup at any given spot.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Looks like they can scratch Linsley for a while. He said today his hamstring is torn, but he will not have surgery. Suffered the initial injury in May, then made it worse in workouts during July.

The evils of the month of July. The month dreaded by all teams, during which players are on their own to get in trouble, get out of condition or hurt themselves while working out unsupervised.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Of course it was 2013 that he last played well. He missed all of 2014 due the training camp injury, and struggled in 2015 coming back from it, as we all agree.
    Beyond expected struggles, he showed little progress through a whole season of playing time.

Barclay's potential to bounce back is unknown. Skepticism is justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Beyond expected struggles, he showed little progress through a whole season of playing time.

Barclay's potential to bounce back is unknown. Skepticism is justified.
    I don't disagree with that. He was only marginally athletic enough to play in the NFL before his injury. If he can't return to what he was he will be in trouble.

Looks like they can scratch Linsley for a while. He said today his hamstring is torn, but he will not have surgery. Suffered the initial injury in May, then made it worse in workouts during July.

The evils of the month of July. The month dreaded by all teams, during which players are on their own to get in trouble, get out of condition or hurt themselves while working out unsupervised.
    I think each team needs one of these about once a decade so they can convince other players that not doing something is better than doing it and getting hurt worse.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

We often find it all to easy to be armchair Coaches and in this thread just as easy to post feelings rather than facts . The Packers O-Linemen , including the rookies, have worked during the off season as well as in TC to be the best they can be . Even the rookies learned in High School & in College the importance of stretching and warm ups . It is something that all players know about even though they are not themselves trainers . Accidental injuries , though unfortunate and unwanted , speaks to the injured players dedication to their continued improvement . Even in TC under the eye of the trainers, it is still up to each player to be honest concerning their physical condition , but we all know that players sometime fear to report their injuries thinking it might make them appear weak . It is not good that any players get injured, yet does not this sort of thing happen every season ?

If your not the lead dog , then the view never changes !

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I think each team needs one of these about once a decade so they can convince other players that not doing something is better than doing it and getting hurt worse.
    Corey would've been better off if he'd have gone down to Florida to hang out with Letroy Guion and his dad.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    It is not good that any players get injured, yet does not this sort of thing happen every season ?

Yup, and often during the dead period after off season programs and before TC, when players are on their own. The Packers have had quite a few over the years, including Brandon Chillar who ended his career with a badly torn hamstring while working on his own.

There was an article a couple years ago that traced the frequency of "events" in July. Arrests and things like that weren't surprising, since it is the one time when players have weeks of free time. But there were also a lot of injuries. Players leaving the programs healthy at the end of June, then returning for TC with new or worsened injuries. It is impossible to avoid it, especially with guys who are workout maniacs, as many of them are.

Yup, and often during the dead period after off season programs and before TC, when players are on their own. The Packers have had quite a few over the years, including Brandon Chillar who ended his career with a badly torn hamstring while working on his own.

There was an article a couple years ago that traced the frequency of "events" in July. Arrests and things like that weren't surprising, since it is the one time when players have weeks of free time. But there were also a lot of injuries. Players leaving the programs healthy at the end of June, then returning for TC with new or worsened injuries. It is impossible to avoid it, especially with guys who are workout maniacs, as many of them are.
    It is NOT impossible to avoid this. The team needs simply to hire Letroy Guion's dad to coordinate the July "team building" activities. A couple of team-building sessions featuring a bong and re-runs of Sanford and Son and Hogan's Heroes, and those workout maniacs will be cured of their temptations.

A healthy, mellow team would be walking into training camp, the cameraderie already high as they discussed whether Schultz really did know something or not.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I could be mistaken, but I think Chillar had an existing hamstring injury and then made it worse. Don't recall the exact sequence.

I think repeat injuries are something you can reduce. Notice that in the ESPN article about Linsley, he is reported to have claimed to begin his regular workout, the one he used the year before. Given that he had not practiced yet, I doubt that was the Packer plan.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I think Chillar had an existing hamstring injury and then made it worse. Don't recall the exact sequence.
    Very well could be, but I do recall the Packers sounding more than a little peeved that he went ahead with some things on his own and made it worse.

Didn't Hayward also hurt himself before year 2 while working on his own? I think it was Hayward who kind of sheepishly admitted that he was doing something he probably shouldn't have been doing, but I don't recall exactly what it was. It didn't seem like a big deal initially, but ended up being very significant, because it just seemed to get worse and worse.

There seems to be someone every couple years who starts TC on PUP because of something they did on their own.

Then, of course, there was Spencer Frankenbacker who hurt himself and was arrested for DUI on a motorcycle, but I think that was early in the offseason, not a July incident.

sounds like we can only hope that they can stay relatively healthy and that we can pick up a decent o-line backup from someone's last cut. why is o-line such a curse for us?

Very well could be, but I do recall the Packers sounding more than a little peeved that he went ahead with some things on his own and made it worse.

Didn't Hayward also hurt himself before year 2 while working on his own? I think it was Hayward who kind of sheepishly admitted that he was doing something he probably shouldn't have been doing, but I don't recall exactly what it was. It didn't seem like a big deal initially, but ended up being very significant, because it just seemed to get worse and worse.

There seems to be someone every couple years who starts TC on PUP because of something they did on their own.

Then, of course, there was Spencer Frankenbacker who hurt himself and was arrested for DUI on a motorcycle, but I think that was early in the offseason, not a July incident.
    He said in an interview he went went running without doing any stretching or warming up.

Sprained ankles , broken fingers, bruised ribs , etc . Such things are commonplace in football and should be expected . Any player , rookie or veteran , assumes that injury is always possible. These are elite athletes that have survived High School and College football to arrive in a Pro TC . They have all seen injuries happen and none want to be injured themselves . It is however a fine line that some walk as they fear to report an injury and appear to be weak or see another field their position and put their jobs in jeopardy . More goes on than meets the eye .

If your not the lead dog , then the view never changes !