Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NFC North

NFC North

. . . Or is it the NFC Central? Ah, hell. The point is, we haven't talked much about the other teams in the division. What are people hearing and reading? Usually at this point we're cracking wise about Minnesota being crowned off-season paper champions, but nary a word this year so far.

I can tell you the Lions have not looked good. Their offensive line has been the biggest issue - the first-team offense has yet to hit paydirt this preseason. They just traded a backup WR for a backup guard from SF. At tight end, They're waiting to see if Eric Ebron will heal enough to start the season, still have Brandon Pettigrew on PUP, so right now Andrew Quarless, two game suspension and all, is in line to be the starter in game three if Ebron and Pettigrew aren't healed.

The defensive line looks very good - Ziggy Ansah is the real deal and then some. Ngota being rested. Darius Slay looks good at one corner, but there's less certainty around him. Andre Levy working his way back.

It doesn't look great in Detroit - they'll be shopping the waiver wire for a TE and possible an O-lineman. But who knows?

Other teams? What have you heard?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

ummm, the bears still suck

i know that much

There was this about the Bears:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ra...son-takeaways/

2. The Bears' offense was embarrassingly bad

The Bears' starters (most of them, anyway) were simply embarrassed by the Chiefs in the first half. The ugly numbers: Chicago ran 18 plays before halftime en route to being out-possessed by the Chiefs, 21:54 to 8:06. Those 18 plays totaled 20 yards. That's an average of 1.11 yards per play. They were out-gained 239-20. They totaled -7 (yes, negative 7) passing yards in the first half, and only 27 rushing yards.

They allowed the Chiefs to go on three drives of 10 plays or more, all of which ended in scores. Had Andy Reid not elected to kick two field goals from inside the 10-yard line, they might have totaled more than 13 points, too.

The final indignity showed up on the last two plays of the first half. After Spencer Ware was penalized 15 years for unsportsmanlike conduct on his touchdown celebration, the Bears got the ball on a short field with six seconds left in the half. They attempt to run a quick-hitting pattern to gain a few extra yards, but Jay Cutler threw the ball into the ground, missing a wide-open receiver by a mile.

On the next play, he was strip-sacked by Dontari Poe. The fumbled was recovered for a loss of 10 yards.

The final: 23-7 Chiefs, but it wasn't really as close as the score.

I think we will have our hands full with the vikings. They have a top 8ish defence, top 10 special teams and an improving quarter back. I think ap will be slightly less of a focus and they may throw the ball more. Unfortunately their ol likely will be better since they are confident in the player who is replacing the old center, whose name is escaping me. All in all, I think they improved in the off season and will be more of a challenge than last.

I have no idea what to think of the lions.

As previously mentioned the bears will suck.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Bridgewater is still just flat out bad. Can't hit the deep ball or intermediate routes, only has 5 yard passes. That being said if AP plays well what does it matter?

Their D is solid but not spectacular. Beatable on the corners.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Bridgewater is still just flat out bad. Can't hit the deep ball or intermediate routes, only has 5 yard passes. That being said if AP plays well what does it matter?

I disagree with Bridgewater being flat out bad. While he has had the benefit of facing defenses which may be more keyed to defending peterson, he has done fairly well behind a fairly poor pass blocking oline. He is not great at the deep ball, but he does remind me of a chad pennington in the making (unfortunately). I do think he has slightly better arm strength than pennington though.

This also makes me very concerned about Bridgewater
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fil...dy-bridgewater

I can't predict Bridgewater to be incapacitated like I did Romo in the NFC East thread. Obviously, my prediction caused his injury.

Seems poor form to wish for Rastak's QB to be injured. So I predict only that he will be limited this year for a time in some form.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Lions and Vikings and Bears , o my !

If your not the lead dog , then the view never changes !

KFAN has a lot of homerism from 9-noon, but the shows around it are decent. Sounds like the Vikes are a bit worried about stopping the run on D. Teddy B has a sore shoulder. Their C and RT situations aren't super awesome either. Their LBs and DBs are no joke though. Cook and Dickrod will be the keys to the Packers winning on O. Stopping AP is always the key on D. McKinnon looks like a keeper.

Fans are excited about the new stadium but are questioning why they brought in the Packers for the first game. Image if they lose to GB in the stadium opener? Juicy.

Teddy down. Practice halted.
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Brewmeister Rat Starter Travbrew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardRoark View Post
    Teddy down. Practice halted.
    ESPN reporter said they put him in an air cast.

May not be too good for the Vikes. Too bad if that's the case...always want to beat the competition when they're at their best.
    Semper Fi
    "Hhhmmm, beer..my only vice."

Doesn't sound good for ras and the queens

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post

Siding with you on Bridgewater over my kingly fellow Canuck. Bridgewater looks to be mediocre at best, notwithstanding the job he did against Seattle in the playoffs last year.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

If Teddy's out for a while...say the season, does anyone foresee a trade for Kap?
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Travbrew View Post
    ESPN reporter said they put him in an air cast.

May not be too good for the Vikes. Too bad if that's the case...always want to beat the competition when they're at their best.
    Can't find the report of him in an air cast. Did the report you hear say it was the arm that was sore or some leg injury? It was supposed to be a non-contact practice, so did you hear accidental contact or just a freak thing?

Really sucks for him and the Vikes. Also may suck for the Packers as it may be harder to sneak Callahan to the PS.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

I had ESPN2 (NFL Live) on while eating lunch. They interrupted the show to go to their reporter that was there (audio only) and said it was a non-contact knee injury...they stopped practice and put him in an air cast.

They just now showed video of an ambulance rolling down the street.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Can't find the report of him in an air cast. Did the report you hear say it was the arm that was sore or some leg injury? It was supposed to be a non-contact practice, so did you hear accidental contact or just a freak thing?

Really sucks for him and the Vikes. Also may suck for the Packers as it may be harder to sneak Callahan to the PS.
    Left knee, it was a non contact injury

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Left knee, it was a non contact injury
    Not good. If he is really lucky, it will be just an MCL, but every time I hear about a non-contact knee injury it turns out to be an ACL. For his sake I hope it isn't.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Aerodynamic Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Not good. If he is really lucky, it will be just an MCL, but every time I hear about a non-contact knee injury it turns out to be an ACL. For his sake I hope it isn't.
    Doctors on Twitter speculating with practice cancelled, paramedics arriving, and being transferred to a trauma center that it's worse than an ACL injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Airin' Rodgers View Post
    Doctors on Twitter speculating with practice cancelled, paramedics arriving, and being transferred to a trauma center that it's worse than an ACL injury.
    I never wish an injury on any player. It is their livelihood, so I hope for the best.