Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 53 Man Roster Prediction

53 Man Roster Prediction

QB Aaron Rodgers, Brett Hundley
    RB Eddie Lacy, James Starks, Brandon Burks
    FB Aaron Ripkowski
    WR Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, Ty Montgomery, Jared Abbrederis, Jeff Janis, Trevor Davis
    TE Jared Cook, Richard Rodgers, Justin Perillo
    OL David Bakhtiari, Josh Sitton, J.C. Tretter, T.J. Lang, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy, Lane Taylor, Don Barclay
    DL Mike Daniels, Letroy Guion, Kenny Clark, Dean Lowry, Brian Price
    OLB Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Julius Peppers, Datone Jones, Kyler Fackrell, Jayrone Elliott
    ILB Blake Martinez, Jake Ryan, Sam Barrington, Joe Thomas
    CB Sam Shields, Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins, LaDarius Gunter, Josh Hawkins
    S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Morgan Burnett, Micah Hyde (CB), Chris Banjo, Kentrell Brice
    ST Mason Crosby, Jacob Schum, Rick Lovato

PUP: OL Corey Linsley
    SUSP: DL Mike Pennel, CB Demetri Goodson
    IR: RB John Crockett, TE Kennard Backman, TE Mitchell Henry, OL Josh Walker

PS: QB Joe Callahan, WR Geronimo Allison, OL Lucas Patrick, DL Christian Ringo, DL Tyler Kudler, OLB Reggie Gilbert, ILB Carl Bradford, CB Makinton Dorleant, S Marwin Evans

Thoughts: I'm not convinced Jayrone Elliott is safe, but the local writers seem to think so. Price, Elliott, Thomas, Hawkins, and Banjo are the last five in. I could see Price being beat out by somebody on another team's roster. I could see Elliott or Thomas being beat out by Bradford (and possibly Gilbert). I could see Banjo being beat out by Evans. My shocker cut would be Sam Barrington. If Barrington doesn't secure a starting role over Jake Ryan, I could see the Packers going with Thomas and Bradford as the backups.

Not sure who they will waive/injured among the group on IR. Some may be waived, so that they can return later in the year.

Goodson may not have a spot when he returns from suspension.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Harv I think you left off Bulaga.

Blog Entries
    I'm hoping Evans and Bradford also make it. They can play now if needed on ST particularly. I'd drop Taylor and Price in a heartbeat for those 2. Price will make it throuh to the PS and can be promoted if necessary. I'm not sold on Hawkins either, particularly on ST, which is the only place he'd see the field. It would be great if Hawkins and Murphy could pass through to the PS. If they get spots it's because they don't want to lose them for next year and beyond because they won't dress APRH.

Blog Entries
    Damn near any of the 10 on the ps could conceivably make the squad too. That's some serious depth.

Every third year or so there's a surprise veteran cut. Was that Masthay?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I like that prediction because of the position break down - 7 WRs and 10 DBs. We have quality there; Better to keep it than extra bodies in positions of less strength. I wouldn't even mind seeing even one more DB and maybe only 8 O Linemen.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Has Davis really earned a roster spot? More so than Allison, Bradford, Evans, Daniel or Dorleant?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Has Davis really earned a roster spot? More so than Allison, Bradford, Evans, Daniel or Dorleant?
    I've liked what I've seen. There's upside. He's fast, and I like his route running potential. Just needs to get better against press. He's different than the other receivers. Allison has impressed, but I don't know what the upside is there. He has size, but a 4.67 40 tells me that he might have issues going against better corners. A lot of his catches have been contested balls. Bradford has played better, but does he have the upside to be better than this? Daniel could make it over Hawkins, but I think Daniel or Hawkins would be easier to get back on the practice squad. What has Dorleant proven? He's been injured much of camp. I'm intrigued by Evans, but I'd rather have 7 WRs (especially after last season) than 6 safeties. If Evans makes the team, it's likely at the expense of Banjo.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I think it is unlikely that any team would put in a waiver claim for Davis. Getting him to the PS isn't very risky, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I think it is unlikely that any team would put in a waiver claim for Davis. Getting him to the PS isn't very risky, in my opinion.
    I disagree. If nothing else, I think he'd likely bolt to another team's practice squad. With the depth at WR he has incentive to sign with another team. Players have done that before (maybe Jumal Rolle and Rajion Neal).

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    If nothing else, I think he'd likely bolt to another team's practice squad. With the depth at WR he has incentive to sign with another team. Players have done that before (maybe Jumal Rolle and Rajion Neal).
    I mentioned that in another thread, it is always a possibility with any player.

I'm sure Rolle was on GB's practice squad when the Texans signed him to their regular roster. I have a vague recollection that GB did something to try to keep him, which I think was just a practice squad salary increase, not a roster spot.

I don't remember anything about Rajion Neal's departure, other than that he bounced all around the league from practice squad to practice squad.

One player I recall who reportedly turned down GB and left for another practice squad was Hunter Hillenmeyer. It was said that the Bears promised him a spot on their active roster, but needed to make some other roster changes first. As I recall, he was on their PS only a few days.

Davis has measurables that will attract offers if he gets cut. Unlike a lot of workmanlike 4th or 5th round picks, he didn't get drafted on starts in college and tape. He got drafted on numbers. Someone else will want that kind of upside at receiver.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I *think* Rolle was rumored to be on the Packers PS, but his name never appeared on releases by the team. By the time the dust settled, he had moved to the Texans.

EDIT: Wrong again, he was PS and the Packers were at 52 players on the roster. But instead of promote him, Ted let him go to the Texans. Mulumba had been moved from the 53 to IR just prior.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/20...practice-squad
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I *think* Rolle was rumored to be on the Packers PS, but his name never appeared on releases by the team. By the time the dust settled, he had moved to the Texans.

EDIT: Wrong again, he was PS and the Packers were at 52 players on the roster. But instead of promote him, Ted let him go to the Texans. Mulumba had been moved from the 53 to IR just prior.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/20...practice-squad
    Ya, Rolle was on the PS in GB for a month or so.

I think they have found a NFL qb in Callahan and include him in the 53. If they don't he's gone.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by deake View Post
    I think they have found a NFL qb in Callahan and include him in the 53. If they don't he's gone.
    I disagree. What team is going to use a roster spot on a developmental QB? I could see teams offering him a PS position but an active roster spot seems like a stretch.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I disagree. What team is going to use a roster spot on a developmental QB?
    The Vikings perhaps. Callahan might even be #2 on their depth chart.

Based on what he's shown in preseason, Callahan is more ready to play than most rookies. Sure he belongs on a PS, but he may get protected on a roster, which has happened many times with rookie QB prospects.

Let's see how the Little Wonder does tonight, then we'll see where the chips fall on Sunday, Sunday, Sunday.

Well, maybe Saturday.
    Last edited by Harlan Huckleby; 09-01-2016 at 11:23 AM.

BTW, I've come around to seeing that the Packers may not care much if Callahan goes to another team, even the Vikings. They are focused on a Super Bowl run this year, and they won't want to carry 3 QBs on roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    The Vikings perhaps. Callahan might even be #2 on their depth chart.

Based on what he's shown in preseason, Callahan is more ready to play than most rookies. Sure he belongs on a PS, but he may get protected on a roster, which has happened many times with rookie QB prospects.

Let's see how the Little Wonder does tonight, then we'll see where the chips fall on Sunday, Sunday, Sunday.

Well, maybe Saturday.
    Right now the last thing MN needs is a project QB. They need a veteran to backup Hill. Can you picture a D-3 QB like Callahan try to learn another offense a week before the regular season starts? We made that mistake back in 2013.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Right now the last thing MN needs is a project QB. They need a veteran to backup Hill. Can you picture a D-3 QB like Callahan try to learn another offense a week before the regular season starts? We made that mistake back in 2013.
    Bingo, +1.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston