Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 53 Man Roster Prediction

Callahan will make a nice backup for Hundley when Hundley is the starter after Rodgers is traded a couple years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Right now the last thing MN needs is a project QB. They need a veteran to backup Hill. Can you picture a D-3 QB like Callahan try to learn another offense a week before the regular season starts? We made that mistake back in 2013.
    Forget the D3 crap. The Little Giant is as ready to go as Hundley was last year. Which is to say not very ready. Its not ideal, but plenty of teams have rolled the dice and lived with rookie backups. Callahan could fit #2 or #3 somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Callahan will make a nice backup for Hundley when Hundley is the starter after Rodgers is traded a couple years from now.
    Which is a strong argument for not exposing him to waivers.

You've joined me on the fence, you've got yourself covered both ways. Ya, ya, I know your official position by heart: you believe all undrafted QBs must be deported, but on the other hand there is room for some discretion and humanity. Plus the thing about keeping Callahan if and only if Hundley is gimpy. You are probably right.

But heed my warning! If the Packers keep Callahan, and they don't release him after Hundley recovers 100%, you will be forever disgraced.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Ya, ya, I know your official position by heart: you believe all undrafted QBs must be deported, but on the other hand there is room for some discretion and humanity.
    You have it absolutely wrong. Humanity has no place in determining pro sports rosters.

Blog Entries
    I didn't see Hawkins do anything on ST, but I'm sold on him making the 53 after last night. Price too. They need 5 D-linemen and he's no. 5 until Pennel makes it back.

Burks didn't help his cause but I think he's already shown enough.

I'd try to stash Callahan on the PS but I'm not sure what Ted & Mike will want to do with him.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I didn't see Hawkins do anything on ST, but I'm sold on him making the 53 after last night. Price too. They need 5 D-linemen and he's no. 5 until Pennel makes it back.

Burks didn't help his cause but I think he's already shown enough.

I'd try to stash Callahan on the PS but I'm not sure what Ted & Mike will want to do with him.
    If Burks had another quick step or another gear, he would really be something. But he always gets caught up in the trash. I would almost prefer taking a risk on someone with more speed or shake from elsewhere.

Price is a must unless he simply can't compete against the 1's. Practice tape should show that. He is just big and strong.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Not sure who they will waive/injured among the group on IR. Some may be waived, so that they can return later in the year.
    Mitchell Henry was waived off IR yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    shit disturber
    Now I'm back to not being sure whether or not you were doing the same in the Al Jazeera thread
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

QB (2) Rodgers, Hundley
    RB (4) Lacy, Starks, Ripkowski, Burks
    WR (7) Abbrederis, Adams, Cobb, Janis, Montgomery, Nelson, Allison
    TE (3) Cook, Rodgers, Perillo
    OL (9) Tretter, Lang, Sitton, Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Murphy, Spriggs, Barclay, Taylor
    DL (5) Lowry, Clark, Daniels, Guion, Ringo,
    LB (10) Barrington, Bradford, Elliott, Fackrell, Martinez, Jones, Matthews, Peppers, Perry, Thomas
    DB (10) Gunter, Hawkins, Randall, Rollins, Shields, Hyde, Banjo, Brice, Burnett, Clinton-Dix
    ST (3) Crosby, Schum, Lovato

PUP: Linsley
    Suspended: Pennell
    IR: Backman, Crockett, Flores, Walker, Davis, Dorleant
    PS: Brown, Gilbert, Callahan, Ross, Evans, Price, Steuck, Daniel, Patrick, Kuder

The last pick came down to Allison, Callahan and Price. I figured Allison is the one most likely to be claimed on waivers. As for losing them once they're on the practice squad, Allison would be the one most likely to want to leave if claimed by another team.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 09-02-2016 at 04:50 PM.

Prior to last year the Packers only kept 5 WR's, even when we thought 6 deserved to stick. Now people here are thinking they'll keep 7? They'll keep 6 and try to get Allison on the PS. His lack of doing much in the final game will help get him through, and if he doesn't, good luck to him. The spot will likely go to Callahan or the best ST guy that would otherwise be cut.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Prior to last year the Packers only kept 5 WR's, even when we thought 6 deserved to stick. Now people here are thinking they'll keep 7? They'll keep 6 and try to get Allison on the PS. His lack of doing much in the final game will help get him through, and if he doesn't, good luck to him. The spot will likely go to Callahan or the best ST guy that would otherwise be cut.
    TT has gone with some strange combinations before. 6 TE's one year. I'm not arguing for Allison over Callahan. Just playing a hunch.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    TT has gone with some strange combinations before. 6 TE's one year. I'm not arguing for Allison over Callahan. Just playing a hunch.
    Gunter is suspend for the first 4 games like Pennell.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Gunter is suspend for the first 4 games like Pennell.
    Actually, it's Goodson who is suspended.

This is without benefit of seeing the fourth game (just hearing reports). Once again, the NFL Network will show the Packers final preseason game after the Packers have made their cuts.

QB Aaron Rodgers, Brett Hundley
    RB Eddie Lacy, James Starks, Brandon Burks
    FB Aaron Ripkowski
    WR Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, Ty Montgomery, Jared Abbrederis, Jeff Janis, Trevor Davis
    TE Jared Cook, Richard Rodgers, Justin Perillo
    OL David Bakhtiari, Josh Sitton, J.C. Tretter, T.J. Lang, Jason Spriggs, Don Barclay, Kyle Murphy, Lucas Patrick
    DL Mike Daniels, Letroy Guion, Kenny Clark, Dean Lowry, Brian Price
    OLB Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Julius Peppers, Datone Jones, Kyler Fackrell, Jayrone Elliott
    ILB Blake Martinez, Jake Ryan, Sam Barrington, Joe Thomas
    CB Sam Shields, Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins, LaDarius Gunter, Josh Hawkins
    S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Morgan Burnett, Micah Hyde (CB), Kentrell Brice, Chris Banjo
    ST Mason Crosby, Jacob Schum, Rick Lovato

PUP: OL Corey Linsley
    SUSP: DL Mike Pennel, CB Demetri Goodson
    IR: RB John Crockett, TE Kennard Backman, OL Josh Walker

PS: QB Joe Callahan, WR Geronimo Allison, DL Christian Ringo, DL Tyler Kuder, OLB Reggie Gilbert, ILB Carl Bradford, CB Robertson Daniel, CB Makinton Dorleant, S Marwin Evans (that's nine guys and there's usually a player or two that comes in from another team's roster)

I think I only had one change from my last projection: Lucas Patrick in for Lane Taylor.

I think Brandon Burks and Justin Perillo may be candidates to get replaced by somebody on another team's roster.

Robertson Daniel vs. Josh Hawkins was a tough one. I wouldn't be shocked if Hawkins and Daniel both beat out LaDarius Gunter.

Another tough one was Brian Price vs. Christian Ringo vs. Tyler Kuder. It sounds like all three had good games vs. the Chiefs. Apparently, it was Ringo's best game. However, without the benefit of seeing the game I have to go with the player (Price) who impressed me more in the first three games.

Leaving Carl Bradford off the team was tough, but most teams can't afford the luxury of having 5 ILBs. Another one that wouldn't shock me is Sam Barrington not making the team. Depending on the health of Joe Thomas, Bradford and Barrington both might make it.

If Trevor Davis is healthy, I think the Packers will keep 7 WRs. If Davis is put on IR, that may open up a spot for Daniel, Bradford, Ringo, or Kuder.
    Last edited by HarveyWallbangers; 09-02-2016 at 11:33 PM.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Blog Entries
    This is without benefit of seeing the fourth game (just hearing reports). Once again, the NFL Network will show the Packers final preseason game after the Packers have made their cuts.

FB Aaron Ripkowski
    WR Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, Ty Montgomery, Jared Abbrederis, Jeff Janis, Trevor Davis
    OL David Bakhtiari, Josh Sitton, J.C. Tretter, T.J. Lang, Jason Spriggs, Don Barclay, Kyle Murphy, Lucas Patrick
    OLB Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Julius Peppers, Datone Jones, Kyler Fackrell, Jayrone Elliott
    CB Sam Shields, Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins, LaDarius Gunter, Josh Hawkins
    S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Morgan Burnett, Micah Hyde (CB), Kentrell Brice, Chris Banjo

PS: QB Joe Callahan, WR Geronimo Allison, DL Christian Ringo, DL Tyler Kuder, OLB Reggie Gilbert, ILB Carl Bradford, CB Robertson Daniel, CB Makinton Dorleant, S Marwin Evans (that's nine guys and there's usually a player or two that comes in from another team's roster)

I think I only had one change from my last projection: Lucas Patrick in for Lane Taylor.

I think Brandon Burks and Justin Perillo may be candidates to get replaced by somebody on another team's roster.

Robertson Daniel vs. Josh Hawkins was a tough one. I wouldn't be shocked if Hawkins and Daniel both beat out LaDarius Gunter.

Another tough one was Brian Price vs. Christian Ringo vs. Tyler Kuder. It sounds like all three had good games vs. the Chiefs. Apparently, it was Ringo's best game. However, without the benefit of seeing the game I have to go with the player (Price) who impressed me more in the first three games.

Leaving Carl Bradford off the team was tough, but most teams can't afford the luxury of having 5 ILBs. Another one that wouldn't shock me is Sam Barrington not making the team. Depending on the health of Joe Thomas, Bradford and Barrington both might make it.

If Trevor Davis is healthy, I think the Packers will keep 7 WRs. If Davis is put on IR, that may open up a spot for Daniel, Bradford, Ringo, or Kuder.
    I think you're 62 out of 62 with the practice squad guys barring 1 or 2 making the 53 vs. another promising undrafted rookie who you have on the roster. And 1 or 2 of those guys might get snatched up by teams lacking depth in certain areas.

Banjo, Elliott, Davis, Thomas and/or Dorleant could get IR'd yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    QB (2) Rodgers, Hundley
    RB (4) Lacy, Starks, Ripkowski, Burks
    WR (7) Abbrederis, Adams, Cobb, Janis, Montgomery, Nelson, Allison
    TE (3) Cook, Rodgers, Perillo
    OL (9) Tretter, Lang, Sitton, Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Murphy, Spriggs, Barclay, Taylor
    DL (5) Lowry, Clark, Daniels, Guion, Ringo,
    LB (10) Barrington, Bradford, Elliott, Fackrell, Martinez, Jones, Matthews, Peppers, Perry, Thomas
    DB (10) Gunter, Hawkins, Randall, Rollins, Shields, Hyde, Banjo, Brice, Burnett, Clinton-Dix
    ST (3) Crosby, Schum, Lovato

PUP: Linsley
    Suspended: Pennell
    IR: Backman, Crockett, Flores, Walker, Davis, Dorleant
    PS: Brown, Gilbert, Callahan, Ross, Evans, Price, Steuck, Daniel, Patrick, Kuder

The last pick came down to Allison, Callahan and Price. I figured Allison is the one most likely to be claimed on waivers. As for losing them once they're on the practice squad, Allison would be the one most likely to want to leave if claimed by another team.
    Good call on Ringo over Price Joe - unless they are gonna try to sneak by with 4 plus Peppers and Jones until Pennel returns... Gotta believe Price is a practice squad target too so he could be promoted if someone gets hurt if they do go that way. Four guys seems pretty thin particularly for the potentially extreme heat in Jax.

FB Aaron Ripkowski

You don't want to endure that preseason game. It was brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Good call on Ringo over Price Joe - unless they are gonna try to sneak by with 4 plus Peppers and Jones until Pennel returns... Gotta believe Price is a practice squad target too so he could be promoted if someone gets hurt if they do go that way. Four guys seems pretty thin particularly for the potentially extreme heat in Jax.
    Price was cut this morning.

I am mostly in agreement with HH. I agree with Patrick over Adams, there's no reason to spend a couple million on Adams. He hasn't distinguished himself over Patrick. In trying to keep the best talent regardless of position, Murphy could be cut to make room for a better talent at WR or DB. They should be able to get Murphy to the PS.

Without any info on the extent of injuries to Davis and even Banjo, its difficult to predict a couple of the spots. I'm thinking they will stash Davis on IR and give him a year to work on size and strength. With the WRs ahead of him, he wouldn't be active on game days anyway, so they might as well stash him on IR if they can.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them go with just Lacy and Starks at RB. They have often had just Lacy and Starks active on game days anyway. They might rather lockup another WR or DB than a runningback who is nothing special anyway and can be held on the practice squad for potential signing if/when Lacy or Starks gets dinged up.

I won't be surprised if they look for a blocking TE after all the cuts get in. Perillo doesn't really add much to the roster.

Blog Entries
    Yeah I could see them keeping only 2 RB's too, especially given Burks' loose handling of the football yet. Pretty sure he fumbled twice in his limited preseason action. He'll need to clean that up if he makes the squad or he'll be out of a job quickly. I think he has good vision and cut-back ability but you can't play if you can't secure the ball. That's his flag right now.

And like you said Patler, Burks isn't going to be in high demand on the waiver wire. Heck Dexter McCluster is out there right now. He'd be a great get for a third down back unless he's damaged goods. I'm assuming he was a victim of the numbers and the new pound-it style of play being implemented in TN.