Thread: Interesting McCarthy Stat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well, you can't have everything. And lately, in games that really matter, it has been the defense that has collapsed last and loudest. Maybe that is what you get when you annually field the youngest team in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Well, you can't have everything. And lately, in games that really matter, it has been the defense that has collapsed last and loudest. Maybe that is what you get when you annually field the youngest team in the league.
    There has been no shortage of late game breakdowns by the defense, that is true. But I fault the offense much, much more for most of the recent ones. Going back at least to the 49er playoff game at Lambeau.

The defense kept the team in the game at home versus the 49ers, at Seattle in the NFCCG and at Arizona. In the first a finally healthy team still had not solved the 49er defense for the third game in a row, in the second McCarthy gave the Seahawks three additional possessions (Bostick gifted them a fourth). In Arizona, he should have tried a 2 point conversion in a one point game that his offense sniffed the red zone twice and was, except for two gifts of hail marys, completely ineffective.

There are other numerous examples. So I give Capers credit for improvement, but McCarthy is going backward. His late game management has never been strong, but his unit isn't dominating like it did.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.