Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: STACKED AT WR....DEAR TED............PLEASE TRADE

Blog Entries

STACKED AT WR....DEAR TED............PLEASE TRADE

Devonte Adams...............says................Tom Silverstein.............

Packer writer has watched a lot of camp and gave a very interesting interview yesterday morn

Noted Geronimo Alliston has really looked good in camp
    Noted GB values Abby and Janis more than most since Abby runs sharp routes and they value Janis a ton for his ST work.
    Noted they are pretty set up with Jordy and Cobb

Suggested they should trade Adams, who has the ability but his hands lack the consistency MM wants

As a secondary option, he even suggested seeing what they can get for Montgomery....because he's too much like Randall Cobb

Interestng interview............COMMENTS ?

What say you rats....if you were moving somebody...how would you end the sentence...

Dear Ted, Please Trade.......................... ??
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

.......... no one.

No chance on Cobb. Adams stays unless Janis catches up. Though, a long term Cook deal at TE reduces the need for Adams on the inside and goal-line.

But as Patler would remind us, with injuries to each vet last year, having their potential replacement on the roster is a good thing and not a luxury. Nelson is over 30. The depth is not what it was when a sensational talent like Ruvell Martin couldn't break into the Big Five.

I can no longer comment in good conscience about the injury prospects of the Packer receivers, but football is a violent sport and has claimed years from players before.

Mostly though, the players who would replace the tradee at the bottom of the roster can be stashed on the PS for a year more than likely. Meaning that nothing must be lost.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

None of the Packer WRs are essential. I'd trade any of them for a D lineman and the team would be stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    But as Patler would remind us, with injuries to each vet last year, having their potential replacement on the roster is a good thing and not a luxury. Nelson is over 30. The depth is not what it was when a sensational talent like Ruvell Martin couldn't break into the Big Five.
    Injuries happen at all positions. Positions other than WR need shoring up. They can easily sacrifice a WR. There is little difference in talent in 3 thru 8 on the WR hierarchy. They can spare two.

I really don't see it happening. I'd be pleased if they could get a 3rd or 4th or maybe even 5th for Adams or Montgomery, but it's just not that hard for other teams to draft and develop their own WRs. And if it's for a 6th or 7th, why bother? Having too many decent receivers is insurance against injuries.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Injuries happen at all positions. Positions other than WR need shoring up. They can easily sacrifice a WR. There is little difference in talent in 3 thru 8 on the WR hierarchy. They can spare two.
    That's where I am too

Plus we aren't keeping 8 are on the roster, and probably not 6. The chances are, we aren't just gonna be able to stash those guys on the PS to hold on to them for an emergency.

Trade at least one. Ada.s probably my does have the most trade value out of the 3-8 guys

I dont see us as stacked at WR. Last year at this time I was more confident that this year, yes even including Nelsons injury. Regarding a trade After watching what happened in the 2015 season, oh hell no.

What is it about the end of camp that gets everyone expecting trades like its the trading deadline in baseball?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    What is it about the end of camp that gets everyone expecting trades like its the trading deadline in baseball?
    1. This is the time we overrate our depth and think we can get draft picks
    2. Since Ted mostly hibernates during free agency as all we have is the draft so we imagine accumulating picks all year long
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

there is little difference in talent in 3 thru 8 on the WR hierarchy.
    This is what I've been struggling with...it seems like we have a lot of WRs who would be good #4 or #5 WRs but nobody stepping up for the #3 role, or showing enough to eventually be Jordy's replacement. I don't think Adams is the answer, but I don't think you trade him unless approached with a good offer from another team. He's a R2 pick and worth giving him this season to develop but if he doesn't he's Derrick Mayes.

I don't think you trade Montgomery -- maybe he can be a #3 -- even if he's similar to Cobb that gives you some scheme flexibility. Put both of them in the backfield, and what does a defense do?

All NFL teams film their practices, scrimmages, and preseason games. In addition, players are scored on test that the coaches create, grade, and record which become a part of each players file. Also, players are scored on attitude, personal discipline, and weight room record . All injuries that they can find out about are included in the players file as well. The Coaches and their staff evaluate this mountain of information on the bottom tier of players to determine who stays or gets cut . The lack of sleep they get this time of the year must be difficult to deal with, but they will chose the best for the 53 man roster .

Those that say keep this one or cut that one only offer a layman's opinion. It's decisions that are, thankfully, best made by carrier professionals .

If your not the lead dog , then the view never changes !

I think I agree with the majority here...we don't have any WRs that could garner anything of value in a trade at this time. Our depth at the position is also not as strong as some are making it out to be. We won't know the true depth at the WR position until this season is over, as I believe a lot of questions will be answered one way or another this year.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Assuming everyone gets out of the last preseason game healthy, Davis and Allison will be cut and both will be brought back to the practice squad. They have often carried at least two WRs on the practice squad.

Has Davis done much of anything since they got into pads? Not as a receiver, maybe as a kick returner, but right now the Packers don't have a real need for a kick returner. They have Montgomery, Hyde, Abbrederis and Janis for that, as well as Cobb if they chose to. Davis' speed makes him interesting, but I don't think he has done anything to encourage any team to keep him on their 53 man roster. The Packers lose him only if he decides he wants to be somewhere other than GB, as I think he will get practice squad opportunities elsewhere.

Allison is one of the feel good stories from this training camp, but has he really taken a roster spot away from Adams, Montgomery, Abbrederis or Janis? Doubtful. Has he been so good on film that another team is going to give him a roster spot? No body liked him enough 4 months ago to even draft him. A couple receptions in preseason aren't enough to reverse those opinions so much as to give him a roster spot more or less blindly. The only thing that could change this is if he goes nuts on Thursday and has a monster game of some sort. He may have more PS opportunities than Davis, so could go somewhere else if he wants to.

Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Abbrederis and Janis each provide things different from the others, except for Cobb and Montgomery, who are somewhat the same. Just before Montgomery was hurt last year, we saw the Packers using both at the same time, presenting some interesting options. Having both isn't duplication, it opens new opportunities. Since each can take snaps in the backfield, the third RB can remain inactive for game days. Since only one FB will be active, they should be able to carry all six WRs on game days.

TT will want to keep all 8 in GB, and the chance of doing so is actually quite good, I think. Therefore, he will have little motivation to trade a WR.

Trades of bubble players around cutdown time are not uncommon as GMs exchange guys they are cutting anyway for conditional 7rth round picks in 2050. Just a way for GMs to band together and subvert the waiver system. I won't be surprised if TT does some monkey business to acquire a backup DL, or gives another team first crack at one of their promising WR cuts. Or exchange same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    1. This is the time we overrate our depth and think we can get draft picks
    2. Since Ted mostly hibernates during free agency as all we have is the draft so we imagine accumulating picks all year long
    OK. But even if we agree on this, the other teams are in the drivers seat because all teams are releasing 10 or fifteen players in less than a week. And at most teams might have one or two spots, even with injuries.

The reason these trades are so few and far between is that its completely a buyers market. The acquiring party must be highly motivated and desperate for your part in particular. Even if you would re-grade all the released guys and have several with 5-7th round grades, there are fifteen other players available who are close to the same.

Ted already traded the McCray guy (OLB from Denver) for a conditional 7th. I wouldn't be surprised if that was it.

OK. But even if we agree on this, the other teams are in the drivers seat because all teams are releasing 10 or fifteen players in less than a week. And at most teams might have one or two spots, even with injuries.

The reason these trades are so few and far between is that its completely a buyers market. The acquiring party must be highly motivated and desperate for your part in particular. Even if you would re-grade all the released guys and have several with 5-7th round grades, there are fifteen other players available who are close to the same.

Ted already traded the McCray guy (OLB from Denver) for a conditional 7th. I wouldn't be surprised if that was it.
    Agreed. It would be more likely for him to be able to work out a trade for someone like Barrington or Banjo, someone with proven NFL ability who might step in to another team and contribute immediately. That's why the trade for McCray worked out, teams know he will contribute on STs. The cutdown from 75 to 53 makes 700 players available on Friday and Saturday, just after 500 became available a week before at the first cutdown.

Agreed. If a trade happens, especially for more than a conditional 7th, it would be a vet. Banjo seems an obvious choice.

Barrington might be very dependent on Ryan's health status. He has only begun working his way up to full participation.

Which leads me to a concern about Martinez. Everything about the kid in camp and preseason has screamed starters. But Moss or his asst coach said not to read too much into reps. We'll see.

I don't think Barrington is going anywhere, just mentioned him as being in the category of player that could elicit trade interest by other teams. I don't think they know yet what they have at ILB, so they will keep the leading candidates and let it shake itself out during the season.

On the other hand, Banjo could be dangled out there as trade bait. While his ST performance is a plus, they probably have other candidates to step in for him on STs, including either of the rookie safeties. With Burnett seemingly always nursing an injury of one sort or another, a fourth safety with better skills on defense might have more value to the team than Banjo.

With Janis' broken hand I doubt we'll let Banjo go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    With Janis' broken hand I doubt we'll let Banjo go anywhere.
    Banjo's hamstring injury might factor in.
    I suspect Janis will be covering kicks in week 1.