Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Sitton.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 2h2 hours ago
    McCarthy: Lane Taylor will start at LG. I have all the confidence in the world in Lane. He’s earned this opportunity.

McCarthy on Lane Taylor: You have to look at the video. It’s pre-season and I was very confident in how he played. He was physical.

Could it be that M3 is actually convinced of this?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    winners: Josh Sitton, Lane Taylor
    Losers: Packers
    TBD: Bears

Sitton becomes a FA a year early - at an age where a year means a lot. Gets himself a raise and possibly extends his career. I'm not saying TT made a bad move, perhaps he made the best of a bad situation. But if I'm a 30-year-old player in contract year where GM is being coy, I think I'd try being haughty and non-communicative in the locker room.
    I don't agree with the ethic of basically threatening to blow up the season of 52 comrades and coaching staff with whom you've shared blood, sweat and tears with over the past 8 years or whatever. No redeeming human quality in that. I do agree that it worked to his personal financial advantage though.

McCarthy at NFL annual meetings in March:

The last time McCarthy was asked about Taylor was on March 23 at the NFL annual meetings. It came during NFC coaches breakfast, where questions about players like Taylor are often necessary to fill the hour-long availability.

Taylor had just been re-signed to a two-year, $4.15 million contract that contained just a $600,000 signing bonus commensurate with a backup who had started only two career NFL games. In first-year money, Taylor will earn $1.75 million -- or only slightly more than he would have received if the Packers gave him the low restricted free-agent tender of $1.671 million.

“I thought Lane took a big jump this year,” McCarthy said way back in March. “Lane has always been a good run player. His pass protection has really picked up. I was thrilled we were able to get him signed and get him back. I think he’s ready to challenge a starter-type level.”
    http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-p...mp-josh-sitton

Did M3 and Campen anoint Taylor starter ready and give Ted all the reason he needed to clear cap space and eliminate a public negotiation next Spring?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I don't agree with the ethic of basically threatening to blow up the season of 52 comrades and coaching staff with whom you've shared blood, sweat and tears with over the past 8 years or whatever. No redeeming human quality in that. I do agree that it worked to his personal financial advantage though.
    The idea that Sitton wanted to be paid sooner rather than later and the idea that McCarthy might very well think Taylor is ready to start, basically squares this weird circle of roster news.

It might work out for both if M3 and his coaches are right.

However, McCarthy has praised players before in the offseason and it had not always proven accurate in terms of starting success.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    McCarthy: Lane Taylor will start at LG. I have all the confidence in the world in Lane. He’s earned this opportunity.

McCarthy on Lane Taylor: You have to look at the video. It’s pre-season and I was very confident in how he played. He was physical.

that just makes it that much worse

although i did read somewhere today that we are looking at some undrafted free agent that was cut by the 49ers whose just happens to play LG

did we really just make the sitton move with no plan B? (and no, lane taylor doesn't count as a plan B, he's more like a plan D or F

This is what I saw:

His most recent outing, the preseason finale at Kansas City, was a struggle. He started at left guard with the No. 2 line, played 54 of 62 snaps and was penalized three times -- twice for holding and once for a false start.
    From same Demovsky ESPN article.

Blog Entries
    The idea that Sitton wanted to be paid sooner rather than later and the idea that McCarthy might very well think Taylor is ready to start, basically squares this weird circle of roster news.

It might work out for both if M3 and his coaches are right.

However, McCarthy has praised players before in the offseason and it had not always proven accurate in terms of starting success.
    I'd say their fully aware of the skill level differential between the two, and have a far more accurate assessment of Taylor's ability and performance than any of us regardless of what's said at a PC (what else is he gonna say?). I think it goes back to the point you made earlier in this thread about how we're talking about an offensive guard spot not QB.

I'd say their fully aware of the skill level differential between the two, and have a far more accurate assessment of Taylor's ability and performance than any of us regardless of what's said at a PC. I think it goes back to the point you made earlier in this thread about how we're talking about an offensive guard spot not QB.
    I want McCarthy's public statements on Taylor to be true, I just have never seen that player.

So I hold on to the hope that you are right, that they recognize the drop off and are prepared.

I don't agree with the ethic of basically threatening to blow up the season of 52 comrades and coaching staff with whom you've shared blood, sweat and tears with over the past 8 years or whatever.
    Well, what you are saying is loyalty must be one way. The GM can cut-and-slash, or refuse to negotiate, and that is "just business." Vinc Lombardi stuff. But if the player acts haughty and non-communicative (your characterization is a bit over the top), then they are disloyal. I say in both cases it is "just business."

i can imagine it now

sitton at TT's office door knocking on it

sitton- ted can we talk about a new contract

TT-(hiding under desk)- he's not here, go away please

sitton- i just want to ask if we can work out an extension

TT- please just leave me alone, if you want to communicate with me, send a letter to my assistant

sitton- ted i know your in there, lets just talk it out now

TT- PLEASE JUST GO

sitton leaves

TT calls m3- mike we have a problem. sitton was just being very aggressive towards me about a new contract

m3- its ok teddy, lets just get rid of him so that doesn't happen again. now let me come up and suck you off to relax you

Blog Entries
    I want McCarthy's public statements on Taylor to be true, I just have never seen that player.

So I hold on to the hope that you are right, that they recognize the drop off and are prepared.
    Well we'll find out in time how he performs but how would anyone benefit if McCarthy said, "Well we just cut an all-pro and are now starting a guy who we don't know for sure whether he's good enough."

That's probably the truth but that's not gonna happen.

red, it's like you were a fly on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Well, what you are saying is loyalty must be one way. The GM can cut-and-slash, or refuse to negotiate, and that is "just business." But if the player acts haughty and non-communicative (your characterization is a bit over the top), then they are disloyal. I say in both cases it is "just business."
    yup, why we shit on the players all the time for doing the same thing the teams do all the time is beyond me.

look at the whole bosa saga, who was the bad guy there? bosa of course. even though both sides were playing hard ball

Well we'll find out in time how he performs but how would anyone benefit if McCarthy said, "Well we just cut an all-pro and are now starting a guy who we don't know for sure whether he's good enough."

That's probably the truth but that's not gonna happen.
    Oh, he can't bail publicly now. I just wonder if there is any actual through line between his comments last spring about Taylor (and his 2 year contract extension with a bonus) and the release of Sitton.

ted doing business

What else is he gonna say, Lane sucks?

Blog Entries
    Harlan, you're suggesting that becoming a lockerroom cancer as a negotiating strategy is ethically acceptable?

These guys need to take care of their business no doubt, but respect your teammates and keep it out of the locker room.

It's absolutely team coaches and management's responsibility to keep that from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    winners: Josh Sitton, Lane Taylor
    Losers: Packers
    TBD: Bears

Sitton becomes a FA a year early - at an age where a year means a lot. Gets himself a raise and possibly extends his career. I'm not saying TT made a bad move, perhaps he made the best of a bad situation. But if I'm a 30-year-old player in contract year where GM is being coy, I think I'd try being haughty and non-communicative in the locker room.
    If you guys think our team is now screwed because we lost our starting LG our problems are deeper than any of us care to ponder.

It sucks we lost Sitton but we've survived and thrived offensively with worse guards than Lane Taylor.

Harlan, you're suggesting that becoming a lockerroom cancer as a negotiating strategy is ethically acceptable?

These guys need to take care of their business no doubt, but respect your teammates and keep it out of the locker room.
    You're defining haughty as a locker room cancer. I seriously doubt any of the players saw him as a cancer. He was a cancer to management because he was demanding a negotiation. They wanted to discourage that sort of uppity behavior by the help.

I bet you will find that players are distraught over their team being weakened. Sitton was reportedly a leader on the line.