Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Sitton.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Colledge got a serious second contract from the Cardinals and played through the majority of it. Lane Taylor isn't there yet, agreed. But if you are going to have a weak link, better there than at LT.
    And this might have been TT and MM's thinking too. The more I ponder this situation the more I suspect Ted and Mike wanted to free up cap space for players playing positions of greater value - in their eyes - going forward and felt they could roll the dice with Taylor at RG. With the line perhaps the whole will be greater than the sum of its parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Pugger, I generally agree with what you say, but Colledge was not a bad player. He had a long career as an NFL starter.
    He was average and yes, a lot of guys like him carve out a nice career playing like he did.

Sitton wasn't the player he is today when he started his career so perhaps Taylor can be developed just like Josh was.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Sitton wasn't the player he is today when he started his career so perhaps Taylor can be developed just like Josh was.
    Could be, could be. We'll give him a mulligan for this preseason.

Blog Entries
    I think it's completely unreasonable to believe McCarthy would suggest it was a locker room issue if that were not true. He needs to lead his team and there's no better way to lose these guys than to assassinate the character of one of the team leaders as he gets shown the door. He'd have no credibility whatsoever in the locker room.

I don't know how smart McCarthy is, but I know he's not that dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I think it's completely unreasonable to believe McCarthy would suggest it was a locker room issue if that were not true.
    Yes, but Sitton being mad about management refusing to negotiate could be how McCarthy defines a "locker room issue."

We're judging a situation from afar.

I agree with you Sitton agreed to give his best in 2016 as part of his contract and owes it to the team. BTW, why would he not do that when he is in a critical contract year?

Blog Entries
    Yes, but Sitton being mad about management refusing to negotiate could be how McCarthy defines a "locker room issue."

I agree with you Sitton agreed to give his best in 2016 as part of his contract and owes it to the team. BTW, why would he not do that when he is in a critical contract year?
    As you noted, it was in his personal financial interests, and he thought the Packers owed it to him to be a priority.

I'm happy for Josh for the deal he got from the Bears. There was no way he was gonna get that from us in 2017. But maybe now we can keep the rest of our line intact in 2017 and beyond.

Just a speculative question: What do you think Aaron Rodgers would say about this move if we put him under the bright lights and broke him? Do you think he would say that he is relieved to be rid of a cancer? Or do you think he would utter a curse word?

Blog Entries
    Just a speculative question: What do you think Aaron Rodgers would say about this move if we put him under the bright lights and broke him? Do you think he would say that he is relieved to be rid of a cancer? Or do you think he would utter a curse word?
    I'd say none of the players, especially Rodgers, wanted Sitton to be cut. But he'll probably have to respect the decision if it impacted team unity as they're working their asses off to make a Super Bowl run.

He'd probably lead the team strike if he was cut for no good reason and McCarthy made up shit about him on the way out the door.

When you think about it, it was perfectly stupid situation. Sitton had no reason to be mad, even if TT signaled that this was his last year in GB. You would think Sitton and TT could talk this through and shake hands, regardless of TT's decision. I am not sure whether TT or Sitton fucked this relationship up, but something went wrong.

Blog Entries
    Agreed. Though to be technical Sitton personally felt good reason to be mad. He felt he earned the right to be top dog and was snubbed. While I think they were correct in putting the younger guys as higher priority, I can see how that might piss Sitton off.

Or, perhaps it was a strategy drummed up by his agent to gain financial advantage. To that end, it worked out for him.
    Last edited by vince; 09-05-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Maybe if MM had relaxed TT BEFORE he talked to Sitton this all could have been avoided.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Maybe if MM had relaxed TT BEFORE he talked to Sitton this all could have been avoided.
    I have a new chapter of "Ted is Trapped in the Closet" to post if y'all want to read it.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

I recall Ted letting a couple other guards go a few years back and everyone freaked out. Rivera played about 10 more games in the NFL. Maybe this is Marco 2.0. Let's just hope Lane doesn't suck like that kid he picked up from NE.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    I recall Ted letting a couple other guards go a few years back and everyone freaked out. Rivera played about 10 more games in the NFL. Maybe this is Marco 2.0. Let's just hope Lane doesn't suck like that kid he picked up from NE.
    I was thinking the same thing. Riviera was an iron man in GB, but broke down awful quick when he left. That one was definitely an example of getting out at the right time. He also had back issues, btw.

Where the difference is here is that Riviera played out his last contract. GB will let vets walk when a contact is up, but as a rule let them play it out if they're still serviceable. I'm trying to think of another example of them acting this way and I can't, which makes me think there's more to this...not that we're likely to ever hear about it.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Where the difference is here is that Riviera played out his last contract. GB will let vets walk when a contact is up, but as a rule let them play it out if they're still serviceable. I'm trying to think of another example of them acting this way and I can't, which makes me think there's more to this...not that we're likely to ever hear about it.
    Yup, my point too in all the various forms I have tried to explain it. This one is different, for whatever reason.

Could be as simply as MM honestly believing in Taylor, or the medical staff rendering an opinion on Sitton's back. Some teams medical staffs will red flag a guy that another team's staff passes.

I'll bet Sitton doesn't make it to the end of the season.

I virtually guarantee he doesn't finish out this contract.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    I'll bet Sitton doesn't make it to the end of the season.

I virtually guarantee he doesn't finish out this contract.
    I would not be at all surprised if he contracted AIDS.

Sitton got too big for his britches. He was disloyal.

For the Packer brass, it sends an important message to the TEAM that griping about contracts and looking out for yourself isn't tolerated. While the Packers take it in the shorts a bit on this one, they may head off a larger problems down the road due to how they handled this one. This was an unfortunate situation, but that is how the NFL works and it isn't the last time we'll see it.

If Sitton can get the ax, then 95% of the other guys in the locker room can too. Sure, Sitton got a little more money elsewhere...but he's playing for Chicago, a team with only one Sunday night game and who is still a long shot to reach the playoffs even with everything that has worked to their favor in that regard over the last week. To be honest, he may not really have earned much more...since with a good 2016 in Green Bay, he may have earned a new 3 year deal similar to the one he just signed AFTER this season and made more money in the long run. Other guys on the team have taken a little less to stay in Green Bay (such as Cobb) where they know that regular prime time exposure and continual playoff appearances pay off more in the end in terms of endorsements and future gigs after playing days are up. Sitton just made himself an enemy to the Green Bay fans, which he will come to regret in time...just as others who pulled similar stunts have.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Sitton just made himself an enemy to the Green Bay fans, which he will come to regret in time...just as others who pulled similar stunts have.
    Unreal. Sitton is an enemy of the people because the Packers cut him? You have zero idea what actually happened.