Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Sitton.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I've been out of the loop a bit, but here's my take. Packers weren't offering Sitton an extension. Not a surprise. Of the 4 Packers starting offensive linemen due to become free agents, he's the oldest and the least healthy. He wasn't happy about not getting an extension. Again, not a surprise. He probably feels he's been a good enough player to merit one. MM apparently said it had become a locker room issue. Which means Sitton was likely being vocal about it. An issue that had the potential to become worse as other players on the o-line received extensions. So the Packers released an outstanding player who had in their eyes the potential to negatively affect the locker room, while at the same time clearing significant cap room. Sure didn't see this coming, but there are circumstances that make this less shocking than it would normally be.
    You've caught right up Joe. Passed up a bunch even.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Wait a minute! Just one damn minute! Josh Sitton got cut and is now a Bear? Am I awake?
    Edgar Bennett got released and is now a Bear. Back to nappy.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    You've caught right up Joe. Passed up a bunch even.
    The whole taking care of our own thing is kinda proven to be a myth now. Even if hes hurt, he's wad still our best lineman.

And hes only 30, it's not like he was 36 or something
    I
    And he was the leader of the o-line. If you aren't gonna take care of one of your leaders who's o my 30, then who will you take care off?

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    F*****G Ron Wolf!!!
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    The whole taking care of our own thing is kinda proven to be a myth now. Even if hes hurt, he's wad still our best lineman.

And hes only 30, it's not like he was 36 or something
    I
    And he was the leader of the o-line. If you aren't gonna take care of one of your leaders who's o my 30, then who will you take care off?
    "Taking car of our own" doesn't mean you never cut anybody. The cap room they saved will likely be used to offer extensions to other current Packers.

Was Sitton the leader of the o-line any more than T.J. Lang? I never really thought so.

"Taking car of our own" doesn't mean you never cut anybody. The cap room they saved will likely be used to offer extensions to other current Packers.

Was Sitton the leader of the o-line any more than T.J. Lang? I never really thought so.
    You cut the players that aren't performing up to their contract. That was not the case with sitton

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy on the Josh Sitton release
    Each player that touches the locker room is evaluated because the locker room is the most important (place) in our building, in my opinion.
    So MM kicks Sitton in the ass on the way out the door.
    Sitton says nothing negative about the team when he leaves, saying simply that football is a business. When he is later interviewed, he further refuses to blame the Packers.
    http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...enge/89889508/

Which side is taking the high road?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post

Which side is taking the high road?
    I am.

As a vested veteran, Sitton wasn't subject to waivers, so he could have signed with anybody he wanted.
    HA! I WAS RIGHT! I WAS RIGHT! I WAS RIGHT!
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

So MM kicks Sitton in the ass on the way out the door.
    The question M3 got asked was very generic. You have to really want it to both apply directly to Sitton and be a critique. Not saying he wasn't worried (probably about future) but its not slam dunk he was confirming haughty and uncommunicative.

That said, I bet Greg Jennings felt the same way even though he had a contract offer in hand.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

You've really taken the low road now.

JK

he would have given his all this year, being a contract year, so they should have kept him and put the best o-line possible out there for Rodgers. now you've got a backup starting and a #3 backing him up. maybe a wise $ decision but not a good football decision.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    You cut the players that aren't performing up to their contract. That was not the case with sitton
    this!

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    maybe a wise $ decision but not a good football decision.
    Since Sitton's contract is expiring at end of this season, it isn't even that compelling of a money decision, at least from cap perspective.

(What's that quote from some rich guy, "A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon you are talking serious money.")

Since Sitton's contract is expiring at end of this season, it isn't even that compelling of a money decision, at least from cap perspective.
    Sure it is. That money can be used to sign other players to extensions, or the money can be carried over to next year.

Sure it is. That money can be used to sign other players to extensions, or the money can be carried over to next year.
    Although you must admit, Ted usually lets them play out that last year so he can get a pick in the compensation system. Plus, I believe they already have plenty of cap space.

Don't let it be said that TT never cuts his own draft picks.

if he is playing on big contracts to a few of them, then the money from this year can be used to mitigate the hit.

Code:
    Julius Peppers	OLB	36	GB	TBD	$10,500,000	UFA
    T.J. Lang	G	28	GB	TBD	$6,181,250	UFA
    Nick Perry	OLB	26	GB	TBD	$4,875,000	UFA
    Jared Cook	TE	29	GB	TBD	$2,750,000	UFA
    Datone Jones	OLB	26	GB	TBD	$2,455,280	UFA
    David Bakhtiari	LT	24	GB	TBD	$1,784,850	UFA
    Micah Hyde	SS	25	GB	TBD	$1,715,527	UFA
    Eddie Lacy	RB	25	GB	TBD	$1,079,404	UFA
    J.C. Tretter	C	25	GB	TBD	$778,977	UFA
    Don Barclay	RT	27	GB	TBD	$700,000	UFA

Packers G T.J. Lang on Josh Sitton: "He loved it here. He wanted to be here. He wanted to finish his career here." So much for the theories many of you are throwing around.

Meanwhile >Jermichael Finley " You can't just let a Pro Bowler walk out the door like that. PERIOD! @jsitton71 was the BEST O-Linemen the @packers had!"

Leroy Butler added in " The shortest path to Aaron is up the middle,confused why did the packers cut JOSH SITTON. Smh "

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    he would have given his all this year, being a contract year, so they should have kept him and put the best o-line possible out there for Rodgers. now you've got a backup starting and a #3 backing him up. maybe a wise $ decision but not a good football decision.
    Agreed. Hard to imagine what Sitton could have said/done where the Packers decided they are better without him than with him. OL skill level and depth have taken a big hit, even accounting for whatever slippage Sitton has had. I normally back TT/MM but this is a headscratcher for me.
    Go PACK

extensions - so they can take cap space from this year to pay for contracts for future years? That sounds unlikely.

money carried over to next year - increased cap space for this year can be carried over to increase next year's cap?

What you are saying is passing strange, but perhaps it is right in some complicated sense.