Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Sitton.

Not that theory is interesting

Cause Barrington wad a bit of a surprise cut too imo

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I'm sure if something happened, it will be denied til the cows come home so there will probably never be conclusive proof of any incident.
    If there were an incident, lots of people would know about it and would come out. I say give the speculations a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    If there were an incident, lots of people would know about it and would come out.
    Depends on how many were there to witness it, and how tightly MM can close the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Depends on how many were there to witness it, and how tightly MM can close the doors.
    If nothing else, you can tell when people are uncomfortable and hiding something. With the frenzy to find out what's there, I easily conclude that there is no there there.

I've never known any group of people who can conceal a controversy where the individuals are conflicted or upset.

heee heee heee. On second thought, TT and MM seem uncomfortable and appear to be hiding something. TT was spotted entering the building wearing a Groucho Marx nose and glasses.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Given all the rumors flying, I think it's safe to say the season can't start soon enough.
    Now this I can agree with.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    heee heee heee. On second thought, TT and MM seem uncomfortable and appear to be hiding something. TT was spotted entering the building wearing a Groucho Marx nose and glasses.
    TT always appears uncomfortable. Nothing significant there.

Your statement about groups concealing controversies is redundant: if the parties are known to be upset then by definition the controversy is not concealed; if nobody can see they're upset then the controversy probably hasn't been made public.

If Sitton and Barrington got into it over Kaerpnick and Black-and-Blue lives, which seems to me only remotely more likely than Sitton as PED pipeline, the rest of the guys in the lockerroom probably don't want to talk about it among themselves, let alone to the press. Who can tell whether TJ Lang is capable of masking his discomfort when talking to a reporter.

Arguing against this is that players were lying, if the report is credible, about there being any recent trouble in the locker room. I can see M3 getting them to clam up, but not outright mislead by saying things were really hunky dory. Lang and Bulaga were at a complete loss to imagine the scenario.

Otherwise, you need a scenario where an O lineman and LB were together in a nearly vacant locker room. Even then, it can't be a continuation of a previous disagreement or others probably know.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

T2 on Sitton's release:

“I’m not going to go there,” Thompson said during an interview. “Not right now, no.”
    “I will say this,” Thompson added. “Josh Sitton is a heck of a football player and a good teammate. He’s one of the better picks I’ve ever made."
    http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...ease/89981418/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Arguing against this is that players were lying, if the report is credible, about there being any recent trouble in the locker room. I can see M3 getting them to clam up, but not outright mislead by saying things were really hunky dory. Lang and Bulaga were at a complete loss to imagine the scenario.

Otherwise, you need a scenario where an O lineman and LB were together in a nearly vacant locker room. Even then, it can't be a continuation of a previous disagreement or others probably know.
    The place those things sometimes happen are treatment rooms, whirlpools, the weight room, etc. Especially if one intends to confront the other. These are times when only a few are around. An "off day" when only some players are scheduled, just a few at a time, to meet with trainers, undergo therapy, etc. Its a mistake to think the players are always in a pack, and that confrontations occur only on the field or in a crowded locker room, especially if the beef is of a personal nature.

Sure. All you suggest is possible.

But in all the scenarios where someone wants to confront the other, there is a time element that is longer than heat of the moment. And that suggests that others would know one was seeking the other out. Even in limited number, I would expect such a confrontation to elicit no comments or avoidance on the next media day. Not denials.

They probably didn't interview everyone. But I suspect the odds are against it.

That said, Wilde did say he couldn't get a response from Barrington after Sitton denied it.

I don't think there's a Barrington-Sitton conflict; it's not like Barrington couldn't spout off now that he's with KC and Sitton's in CHI...plus I'm sure there are other military family guys in the locker room. Also, Kaepernick may be a dumbass, but he's stated he's not against America or the military. If he's gonna put up $1million to back it up, I'm willing to believe him.

I think the contract situation and the fact they think Taylor is at least as good a run blocker but not as good pass blocking have to do with it. Sitton finds out his extension is a lower priority, maybe his agent decides to make some noise or talk to some other teams, and they work to get his release so he can get an early start on that next contract. He's 30 with a bad back; no way TT is gonna give Sitton 3y/$21M with the other players up for free agency (Lacy, Lang, Tretter, etc.) . Getting the cap space NOW gives them more flexibility in signing some of these guys. GB has a LOT of players on their last contract years; I'm confident this has a lot to do with this move.

The other thing is, while Sitton is still a very good player, he's not going to get any better, and he plays LG. It's not like he plays a skill position. (I think they can probably "get by" with having Taylor and Barclay can play there until Linsley gets back and they either slide Tretter over or put Linsley there.)
    Anyway, generally I'd think you'd want to acquire and keep as much talent as you can, and by letting Sitton go I would say they DON'T do that in the short term, his cap space helps TT do that long-term.

I wouldn't be shocked if TT drafts a couple more OL next spring either.

Good post, run, the voice of reason.

Not a reach. TT almost always drafts a left tackle or two who then get turned into guards much to the fans bemusement.

Drafting OL next year is a safe bet, he has every year except 2015. Often he drafts two.

Many reason, at least 6,850,000 of which were very tangible reasons. I doubt that the Packer brain trust thinks that the net result of this decision negatively impacts their SB aspirations significantly, or they wouldn't have done it. They have too long of a history of letting players play out their contracts. While they may have accepted decreased performance at LG to be one result, in their minds there are perhaps intangible benefits to offset it, and they are willing to accept the decrease in performance at LG as a result.

I have said before that usually I'm in the camp that appreciates Thompson looking after the long-term cap health of the team. However, in this case I disagree with moving on from Sitton - even if there are other reasons as well, such as the supposed disgruntled attitude.

You're weakening yourself at a position. I don't think many people disagree with this. And this year, as much or more than many, is a year in which your team appears to have a very real shot at getting to the NFCCG and perhaps to the SB. The team's health heading in is pretty good, you're getting an important defensive lineman back after four games, and you have your #1 WR back with what seems a very deep group. Your inside linebackers look moderately better than what you've had before (minus Clay), the secondary is deep, the running back looks better.

And the offensive line is key to any success. You have a line that's played together and has the opportunity to provide one of the league's best QB's the time to make plays, and the opportunity to open holes for what looks like an improved running back.

Now is not the time to look at next year and wonder how to spend an extra six mill. Now is the time to think about now, and use the comp pick you'll get next year to replace the player you won't be able to re-sign because you paid Sitton his six mill this year.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

^^^^this

Maybe they didn't think it was as simple as "which player is better?" even for having the best team this year. Per Silverstein:

GREEN BAY - Josh Sitton had a big presence in the offensive line meeting room and it may be part of the reason the Green Bay Packers let him go Saturday.

The Packers had to estimate how the environment would change should left tackle David Bakhtiari and center JC Tretter become higher-paid players than Sitton this season and whether there was a big enough drop-off in Sitton’s play to justify releasing him.

Ultimately, they decided a change was needed, leaving a big hole in their offensive line that fourth-year pro Lane Taylor is going to have to fill.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...tton/89985418/

Maybe they didn't think it was as simple as "which player is better?" even for having the best team this year. Per Silverstein:

Admittedly, I don't know as much as they do about the dynamics of that room or what Sitton is like. All I can go by is what I've read, which over the years has suggested Sitton is a powerful personality but not a locker room cancer or a poor teammate.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Admittedly, I don't know as much as they do about the dynamics of that room or what Sitton is like. All I can go by is what I've read, which over the years has suggested Sitton is a powerful personality but not a locker room cancer or a poor teammate.
    I don't think anyone has said that he has been a locker room cancer or a poor teammate. Just very dominant and outspoken. The concern expressed by Silverstein seems to be about how he might react if suddenly he was #3 on the pay scale, with the team not interested in negotiating with him. If he became sullen and uncommunicative, it wouldn't necessarily make him a cancer, but it could have an increasingly negative impact among the OL as the season went on.