Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Sitton.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm with you on this one, Bretsky. I haven't seen enough evidence over the years to suggest Sitton's presence would cause problems in the lockerroom if he was paid less than the young bucks. I just don't see it. He might not like it, he might grump about it, but I don't see anything to suggest he'd wreck the lockerroom.

I just don't get it.

Actually, from Sitton's perspective as someone trying to make money at his profession, this was probably as good or maybe better than playing out the year and going into FA in the offseason. His back isn't going to magically get better; it's only going to deteriorate. He might've gotten a bigger payday from da Bears (how much is guaranteed?) than he would've gotten at the end of the year, one year older and one year more used up.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

If cutting Sitton was part of the long-term plan to develop and retain Tretter and Linsley, then why didn't they cut Sitton in May? There can only be one answer: they didn't want to give teams like Seattle time to fit him into their picture.

Really the weak link in the line is bacteria. Cutting Sitton was a dumb fucking move.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Really the weak link in the line is bacteria. Cutting Sitton was a dumb fucking move.
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think some here dramatically underestimate how good Bacteria is. He's gonna get paid big bucks. I would guess at least 10M per year. It will be interesting to see what happens with Tretter. He is too small to play guard. So is Linsley. So, one of those two needs to fatten up a bit to play guard. Beat writers have made it clear Bacteria and Tretter will be extended this year.

If you like Taylor
    If you don't like sittons back
    If you know players over 30 always get worse not better
    If there is money saved
    If you have an extra roster spot to keep a guy like Murphy on ol or Callahan at qb
    If you have a lot of contracts coming up

Then there are a lot of reasons why moving on a year early makes sense. Let's see how it pans out. I have a feeling it was an good move.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    If you know players over 30 always get worse not better
    only for running backs, not any other position

around 35 is when most players drop off, NOT 30

a 30 year old guard is right in the middle of his prime

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

Until you factor in the back issues.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

??????? The overwhelming majority of NFL players aren't in the league anymore by 30 let alone 35.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    ??????? The overwhelming majority of NFL players aren't in the league anymore by 30 let alone 35.
    no, the overwhelming majority of packers are not over the age of 30

and i would guess the big reason why a lot of guys wouldn't be the the nfl by 30 has to do with $$$$$$$$$, not old age

if you have a 30 year of fringe player that you would have to pay the vet minimum of around a million bucks, your probably gonna replace his with a rookie fringe player who will make a third of that
    Last edited by red; 09-09-2016 at 05:14 PM.

Sitton is gone. These guys are getting paid to do a job just like TT is.....if its a major fuckup he will have to answer for it....along with AROD The OL needs to stop talking about it and go out and do their jobs.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Sitton is gone. These guys are getting paid to do a job just like TT is.....if its a major fuckup he will have to answer for it....along with AROD The OL needs to stop talking about it and go out and do their jobs.
    no he won't be held accountable. the jokes that cover the packers (and are basically packers employees) will just let it slide like any other TT fuck up

"reports today that TT took a giant shit on the G in the middle of lambeau"

packer "reporter", " oh is was a spectacular bowel movement, one of the finest of all time, and it obviously can only help the team going forward. IN TED WE TRUST"

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...oo-long-o-line

Interesting article from a few years ago. Seems like 30 or so is the starting of the end for OL also.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...oo-long-o-line

Interesting article from a few years ago. Seems like 30 or so is the starting of the end for OL also.
    article talks about of when the average age of the line is 30 it starts to go down, not when a single member hits 30

and by doing the math, we have one more solid year before we start to drop off according to the whole theme of the article

plus theres this from the article

Guards start wearing down once they get to 32. Letting a guard hang around when he's 34 is stretching it. Centers can go into their mid-30s, but they do risk injuries.

was just hearing this week that the league is going through a trend where all the teams (except new england) are getting younger and younger. cheap, less experienced, makes for poorer quality football. hoodie drops declining older players for plateauing older players (that are cheaper too) and that's why they're in it year after year. the experience factor is the difference on the field.

What I loved about that article is that almost EVERY trend mentioned is due to the NFL trying to curb costs.

1. NCAA feeding ground - why have a minor league? **
    2. Draft younger players - players want to enter League early to get to second contract exacerbated by very limited first contracts (that last a minimum of 4 years, if not five)
    3. Cut expensive vets - while cap has gone up a lot in last two years, cap adjustments now trail actual revenues (and are based on lower percentages of revenues) by a significant margin, something that the last CBA changed.

https://theringer.com/the-nfl-has-an...5e4#.hy96hd42l

** I give the early NFL a pass because if they had tried to establish a minor league when college football was king the pros would have been made illegal
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    What I loved about that article is that almost EVERY trend mentioned is due to the NFL trying to curb costs.

1. NCAA feeding ground - why have a minor league? **
    2. Draft younger players - players want to enter League early to get to second contract exacerbated by very limited first contracts (that last a minimum of 4 years, if not five)
    3. Cut expensive vets - while cap has gone up a lot in last two years, cap adjustments now trail actual revenues (and are based on lower percentages of revenues) by a significant margin, something that the last CBA changed.

https://theringer.com/the-nfl-has-an...5e4#.hy96hd42l

** I give the early NFL a pass because if they had tried to establish a minor league when college football was king the pros would have been made illegal
    Some data and an argument that the League is getting younger, that it might have nothing to do with it being worse or better, and that the culprit looks like the 2007 CBA not the 2011 version.

http://www.footballperspective.com/y...tting-younger/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    ANYBODY LISTEN TO MARCO RIVERA"S TAKE ON JOSH SITTON ??????????/ TO PARAPHRASE..............

He can understand how this could easily happen. The players in Green Bay need to understand there is no loyalty to anybody except the quarterback there. He went on to note how he came back to the GM when and was very honest and let GB know he loved playing in Green Bay and he wanted to play 2 or 3 more years and retire as a Green Bay Packer...........and was basically pushed out the door and with no interest from Green Bay he went to pay his last couple years with the Dallas Cowboys. He was a bit outspoken....but not angry...but went on to say unless you are Aaron Rodgers you need to understand it's a business w/o loyalthy and as a player you should go for a contract wherever it is. None of this surprised him and he viewed it being about the money.

Cold
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    ANYBODY LISTEN TO MARCO RIVERA"S TAKE ON JOSH SITTON ??????????/ TO PARAPHRASE..............

He can understand how this could easily happen. The players in Green Bay need to understand there is no loyalty to anybody except the quarterback there. He went on to note how he came back to the GM when and was very honest and let GB know he loved playing in Green Bay and he wanted to play 2 or 3 more years and retire as a Green Bay Packer...........and was basically pushed out the door and with no interest from Green Bay he went to pay his last couple years with the Dallas Cowboys. He was a bit outspoken....but not angry...but went on to say unless you are Aaron Rodgers you need to understand it's a business w/o loyalthy and as a player you should go for a contract wherever it is. None of this surprised him and he viewed it being about the money.

Cold
    Wasn't Rivera the one they tried to keep, since they had to release Wahle anyway and Rivera would be more cost effective?

I thought he nearly doubled his GB offer with Dallas when a bidding war broke out? I think he is leaving a few key facts out. There is no way the Packers would bring him back on the contract he signed with Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Wasn't Rivera the one they tried to keep, since they had to release Wahle anyway and Rivera would be more cost effective?

I thought he nearly doubled his GB offer with Dallas when a bidding war broke out? I think he is leaving a few key facts out. There is no way the Packers would bring him back on the contract he signed with Dallas.
    He didn't do much once he went to Dallas either if memory serves after he hurt his back. He did come back and retire a Packer too so he couldn't have been too upset with us.