Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Sitton.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    You guys, it's gonna be fine. Sitton is on the down slope. Taylor is ascending. The Packers like Taylor.

We moved on fine without Brett Favre. We'll be OK without Josh Sitton. Especially when Lindsley comes back, we're young and two deep, maybe 3 if you count spriggs, who had a decent enough showing. Give him a couple more months in the weight room and fresh legs and he might hold up if he gets tossed in too.

This year is Super Bowl or Bust; no good reason from what I can see to not bring him back for one more year and let him leave in style unless TWT thinks we can win a Super Bowl w/o Josh Sitton

Let the results speak for themselves
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I am tellin' ya... Bahktiari is walking after this season if he isn't the starting left tackle for the foreseeable future. The difference in money between good guards and good tackles is gigantic.
    Lane Taylor has really not played that well
    I can't imagine MM and TWT thinking they can last a season with him as the starter
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I don't much like Lane Taylor either. About the only thing you can say about him his he is better than Barclay. I don't much like Bakhtiari either - better than his first year, but not up to the standard of a good NFL O Lineman. None of them are remotely close to star-quality, and that includes Sitton.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, almost every time our all world QB drops back, he is running for his life. Fortunately, he does that extremely well and hits his targets like nobody else. No thanks to the O Line, though. Run blocking hasn't IMO been a helluva lot better either, especially when they need to just line up and push people back rather than hitting them by surprise when the D is geared for the passing game. I think THAT scenario had a lot to do with McCarthy saying "some positions are more important than others ....." and the team letting Sitton go instead of negotiating a big contract extension for him.

I guess that still doesn't explain cutting Sitton instead of squeezing one more year out of his old contract. Maybe he hit the team with a hold out threat a week before the season was to start, who knows.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

This is factually not true. Most players are out of the league and retired from the NFL by 30.
    because of money, not old age

33 out of our 53 guys are on there first contract

that is by choice and that is because of money

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    This year is Super Bowl or Bust; no good reason from what I can see to not bring him back for one more year and let him leave in style unless TWT thinks we can win a Super Bowl w/o Josh Sitton

Let the results speak for themselves
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Lane Taylor has really not played that well
    I can't imagine MM and TWT thinking they can last a season with him as the starter
    These two statements considered in light of the Packers history dealing with starters and older players nearing the ends of their contracts have me convinced that things we are unaware of or do not fully appreciate caused the release of Sitton in the way it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Wasn't Rivera the one they tried to keep, since they had to release Wahle anyway and Rivera would be more cost effective?

I thought he nearly doubled his GB offer with Dallas when a bidding war broke out? I think he is leaving a few key facts out. There is no way the Packers would bring him back on the contract he signed with Dallas.
    He didn't do much once he went to Dallas either if memory serves after he hurt his back. He did come back and retire a Packer too so he couldn't have been too upset with us.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    because of money, not old age

33 out of our 53 guys are on there first contract

that is by choice and that is because of money
    Yet, it is required. The Packers have spent more than the basic salary cap every year for the last 4 or 5 years. Their "carryover" cap dollars from the previous year has been declining every year.

This is the current state of the NFL generally, not just the Packers. Fewer and fewer contracts are using up increasing proportions of the salary cap, requiring that a substantial part of the roster be filled with salary controlled players on their first contracts. The union might want to reconsider the veteran salary cap if they want more veterans in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Next year it will probably be Bahktiari-Taylor-Lindsley-Tretter-Bulaga with Spriggs, Murphy and a draft pick and who knows what else coming off the bench. It's time to move on.
    IF we can keep Bak next year. FA LTs get paid so this is prob why we traded up to draft Spriggs. It will be interesting to see if we can extend him before he becomes a FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    IF we can keep Bak next year. FA LTs get paid so this is prob why we traded up to draft Spriggs. It will be interesting to see if we can extend him before he becomes a FA.
    Going into 2015 I wouldn't have predicted that Bakhtiari would get an elite LT type of contract. Decent, but not special. Now, I'm not sure. Apparently he was absolutely dominating in one on one drills in camp. I have also read that he has quietly overcome the two limitations he had coming out of college, size and strength. He was under 300 lbs at the combine, and even less than that in college. He is listed at 310 now, but I have read he is actually at closer to 320, with a lot of added muscle since his rookie year. One article mentioned he was ready for a breakout type of year last year, but he fought injuries all year right from training camp. He was even questionable for game one and never was that healthy at anytime in 2015.

This will be an interesting season for Bakhtiari.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Going into 2015 I wouldn't have predicted that Bakhtiari would get an elite LT type of contract. Decent, but not special. Now, I'm not sure. Apparently he was absolutely dominating in one on one drills in camp. I have also read that he has quietly overcome the two limitations he had coming out of college, size and strength. He was under 300 lbs at the combine, and even less than that in college. He is listed at 310 now, but I have read he is actually at closer to 320, with a lot of added muscle since his rookie year. One article mentioned he was ready for a breakout type of year last year, but he fought injuries all year right from training camp. He was even questionable for game one and never was that healthy at anytime in 2015.

He pitched a shutout in camp until the very end in one on one pass protection.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

What I loved about that article is that almost EVERY trend mentioned is due to the NFL trying to curb costs.

1. NCAA feeding ground - why have a minor league? **
    2. Draft younger players - players want to enter League early to get to second contract exacerbated by very limited first contracts (that last a minimum of 4 years, if not five)
    3. Cut expensive vets - while cap has gone up a lot in last two years, cap adjustments now trail actual revenues (and are based on lower percentages of revenues) by a significant margin, something that the last CBA changed.

https://theringer.com/the-nfl-has-an...5e4#.hy96hd42l

** I give the early NFL a pass because if they had tried to establish a minor league when college football was king the pros would have been made illegal
    Some data and an argument that the League is getting younger, that it might have nothing to do with it being worse or better, and that the culprit looks like the 2007 CBA not the 2011 version.

http://www.footballperspective.com/y...tting-younger/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Wasn't Rivera the one they tried to keep, since they had to release Wahle anyway and Rivera would be more cost effective?

I thought he nearly doubled his GB offer with Dallas when a bidding war broke out? I think he is leaving a few key facts out. There is no way the Packers would bring him back on the contract he signed with Dallas.
    That's my recollection as well - there was no chance of keeping Wahle, thinking was he was a guard only because of Clifton. Panthers gave him LT money, but I don't think he played there much. Packers thought they could hold onto Riviera, and offered him a good contract, but Jerah threw buckets of money at him. I don't think anyone expected that.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

I don't know. At the end of last year that he was struggling to stay healthy and for some reason I feel like this is going to continue. He's put on 20lbs since college, does he have the frame for it?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Great read from McGinn on it. Sounds like the Packers just straight up blew it and there hand was forced. This jives with TT's comments earlier this week about Josh being a heck of a football player.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...mbit/90149052/

The article just confirms what most people already understand.

This was an unforced error that cost the Packers the services of one of their better players on the doorstep of a Super Bowl or bust season.

Inexcusable.

There's no putting lipstick on this pig...

Bacteria is a below average LT, now Lane is a well below average LG... what are the odds Rodgers survives the season?? He better have eyes in the back of his head.

And BTW - Sitton's comments about the Packers offense being predictable were entirely accurate.
    wist

This jives with TT's comments earlier this week about Josh being a heck of a football player.
    TT said Sitton was a heck of a football player and a good teammate. He didn't have to praise Sitton's character. He went out of his way to correct the record. People need to STFU with the "something happened" innuendo.

Did someone who wanted anonymity tell McGinn Ted and Mike screwed up or is Bob speculating along with the rest of us?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Did someone who wanted anonymity tell McGinn Ted and Mike screwed up or is Bob speculating along with the rest of us?
    He seems to have the fact that Sitton was alerted Saturday morning about trade or cut situation, which apparently was still while trade talks were in early stages.

The Packers, he reasons, expected a frenzy of interest in a good player during a short window. They talked to one team early (week before) and then the Saints were all they had to show for those expectations. But the Packers know the cut market well, they do a good job of both trading during it and getting their preferred players to the PS. Its hard to believe they misjudged this so bad.

So I would estimate he has half the story so far. Still no explanation about why you wait for so long except speculative concern about his attitude if Bach and Tretter each signed deals while he was on team.

Its happened before. Contract years drove Jennings and Finley insane, though somehow the Packers were able to play with them.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    The Great Bob McGinn: "The Packers are in the business of winning football games, and whatever they tried to do reeked of incompetence."

Could not agree more.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.