Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: Josh Sitton.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Screw these damn multi-millionaire prima donnas! And the NFL too, for that matter. I stay a Packer fan despite all this salary crap. I just shelled out a couple hundred retirement bucks for the NFL Sunday Ticket. Maybe I'm the fool.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Ya, but I wonder if TT guessed wrong on this. Remember, the controversy is only about THIS year. Nobody much cared about Sitton going FA next spring.
    The USA TODAY article I linked to earlier claims that Sitton was outstanding in his first game as a Bear. He's 30, a prime year for an offensive lineman.
    I don't know, although the Bears game was on here (damned Fibs) I could not bear to watch it so I missed Sitton's performance. Was the USA article taken from the Tribune? In any case, whether or not Sitton was outstanding yesterday doesn't matter because: (1) with his injury history he's probably not going to be outstanding for the entire year; (2) he never practices, which probably counts as a big minus for MM, who seems to value the number of reps this unit can get together; (3) by cutting Sitton now rather than waiting you both remove whatever negative influence he had on your younger linemen and you give someone or someones a head-start on development, which will be a plus when next year rolls around. One thing about TT is that he never ever seems to go into absolute must win now mode; for better or worse he's always thinking about how decisions made now will affect the future. He's the anti-Sherman.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    The thing is, I don't think you really need the racialized confrontation to explain this. Sitton was outspoken and could get pissy when things weren't going well, sometimes crossing the boundary into defiance. Those traits were starting to show up in some unnamed younger OLs. And Sitton himself would appear to be on the downward slope of his career. This conjuncture of factors is enough to explain his release.
    I agree with that too. It would seem to be a bit more manageable though than if direct conflict occurred. I fully grant that to the extent there was some smoke, whatever fire there was smoldered at best and was stomped on aggressively.

it kinda seems obvious that we had to cut sitton so we could make our average LT the 4th highest paid LT in the NFL

we were just saying 2 days ago that 8 to 10 million a year would be too much for him. 8 would put him in the top 15 and 10 would put him in the top 10

i suppose we're probably about ready to give tretter 8-9 million per year too

and langs probably going to get what sitton got if not more

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    it kinda seems obvious that we had to cut sitton so we could make our average LT the 4th highest paid LT in the NFL

we were just saying 2 days ago that 8 to 10 million a year would be too much for him. 8 would put him in the top 15 and 10 would put him in the top 10

What are the numbers for Top centers and guards?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    What are the numbers for Top centers and guards?
    thats what i based those on

let me go check

JustinH made a good point, because this is an extension of his current deal, he will average $10 mil per year for those 5 years. So he is getting Top 10 money, not Top 5.

Plus all numbers so far are the hyped agent top line numbers. I bet the Packers are protected in this.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

3 guards make over 10 million a year

guards 4,5,6,7 are around 8 million

8,9,10 are around 7 mill

11-15 are 6.6 million to 5.3 million

centers

the top 5 make between 8.8 and 9.4 million

#6 makes 8.3

7 and 8 make about 7.5

9 and 10 are around 6.3

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    JustinH made a good point, because this is an extension of his current deal, he will average $10 mil per year for those 5 years. So he is getting Top 10 money, not Top 5.

Plus all numbers so far are the hyped agent top line numbers. I bet the Packers are protected in this.
    yeah that extra year helps a bit. 12 million would be nuts, 10 million is just a lot

he's still overpaid IMO, but it doesn't seem as bad when you factor in that its actually 50 million over 5 years, not 4

so a quick rough guess has tretter at 6.5 to 9 million probably

and lang maybe at 7-8 maybe

add in bahks 10, and bulagas 7 or so. thats a ton of money for the o-line

like i said somewhere on here, we could let lang and bulaga go, or all 3 if tretter costs that much too

then we're back to square one and rebuilding the line

yeah that extra year helps a bit. 12 million would be nuts, 10 million is just a lot

he's still overpaid IMO, but it doesn't seem as bad when you factor in that its actually 50 million over 5 years, not 4
    You probably have to include the $1.7M he was scheduled to get this year anyway. The 50-whatever million is probably in addition to that. It often is.

like i said somewhere on here, we could let lang and bulaga go, or all 3 if tretter costs that much too

7 million would make Tretter the 9th highest paid Center. 9 million would put him only behind Frederick. I don't think he's done anything yet to command that kind of money.

Lang at 7-8 is probably about right. That would put him somewhere between 5-10 among Guards.

I
    Last edited by Joemailman; 09-13-2016 at 05:12 PM.

They were going to have to rebuild the OL either way. They made the decision that they liked Bahk quite a bit more than Sitton, and the money they saved by cutting Sitton did help to resign Bahk. In that respect I can't say that I blame them. A lot rides on Taylor. If he turns out to be solid, it's a good decision. It would have allowed them to retain their good, young LT and have an affordable option at LG. It gives them options too. They could resign Tretter or Lang or they can kick Bulaga inside.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

They didn't use a 2nd and 4th round pick on Spriggs for him to be a backup. Gotta believe he'll be the RT. That would mean 1 of 4 things:

Bulaga is gone
    Lang is gone and Bulaga moves to RG
    Bulaga moves to LG, Lang stays at RG and Taylor becomes backup.
    Lang is gone, Bulaga moves to LG and Taylor moves to RG.

Seems to me they want to re-up Tretter. He's versatile and talented. So I think they'll go after him, then move to the defensive side of the ball to see if Perry and/or Jones is worth locking up. If they sign one or both, then they can use any chump change to see if Lang will bite.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    A lot of options. It's too early for me to have much of an opinion yet. It would be a ton of money being spent on the o-line but I think I'd rather see them sign Tretter and Lang than Tretter and Lacy. There's no clear succession plan behind Lacy other than Starks for another year and a bunch of questions but I'd still prefer to keep the line solid and get a RB in the draft if the UDFA's don't develop. Homer Alert: I think both Pressley and Don Jackson have a chance next year. Pressley has decent size and obviously can fly and I liked Jackson better than Burks going into camp. He's a bit undersized but that dude runs with some attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    They didn't use a 2nd and 4th round pick on Spriggs for him to be a backup. Gotta believe he'll be the RT. That would mean 1 of 4 things:

Bulaga is gone
    Lang is gone and Bulaga moves to RG
    Bulaga moves to LG, Lang stays at RG and Taylor becomes backup.
    Lang is gone, Bulaga moves to LG and Taylor moves to RG.
    I don't think Bulaga has ever played a full season. I don't know that they move him inside either. He seems like a good fit at RT to me. If they sign Tretter, where do they play him and Linsley? Can Tretter take over for Lang at LG?

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    A lot of options. It's too early for me to have much of an opinion yet. It would be a ton of money being spent on the o-line but I think I'd rather see them sign Tretter and Lang than Tretter and Lacy. There's no clear succession plan behind Lacy other than Starks for another year and a bunch of questions but I'd still prefer to keep the line solid and get a RB in the draft if the UDFA's don't develop. Homer Alert: I think both Pressley and Don Jackson have a chance next year. Pressley has decent size and obviously can fly and I liked Jackson better than Burks going into camp. He's a bit undersized but that dude runs with some attitude.
    Vince, wasn't it you and me who were going nuts wanting TT to draft David Johnson a year or two back? Man, if he were in green and gold now the future would look real good. He played lights out in Week One.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Vince, wasn't it you and me who were going nuts wanting TT to draft David Johnson a year or two back? Man, if he were in green and gold now the future would look real good. He played lights out in Week One.
    Yeah I really liked him the 3rd or 4th as I recall. I think he went in the 3rd before the Packers pick - and he's better than we thought he'd be Maxie. What a stud.

Why do we think we wouldn't leave Bulaga at RT where he was a first round pick? Seems to me that Spriggs will have to earn a spot. Backup tackle appears to be his best position. He'll get in a few games at tackle when Bulaga inevitably goes down.