Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: R-E-L-A-X

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tex, I just can't get on board with the "Rodgers does it in spite of his line" thinking.

It hasn't been the greatest offensive line, but it's been good enough. And your shift to blaming McCarthy's playcalling instead of the offensive line, which you had done, is repudiated pretty well, I think, by Radagast above.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I hadn't noticed his post until now, but it is pretty wrongheaded. Unless you have Jim Brown or O.J., it's the O Line that makes for a good rushing attack, not having one or two above average RBs. I've always said, if the Packers had O Line dominance on the pro level equivalent to the past Badger teams on the college level, I'd be right there with you guys advocating a run-first attack. But sadly, they don't - not even close.

And I've been criticizing McCarthy for quite a while too - increasingly as he has moved more and more toward a stupid (IMO) run-first mentality.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

The OL has not been abysmal during the first 2 games. The reason Rodgers gets pressure is almost exclusively because he holds the ball too damn long.

There isn't an offensive line in the league that can consistently give the QB 8 seconds in the pocket to throw the ball. If you think that is the solution to the problem, you'll never find it.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    The OL has not been abysmal during the first 2 games. The reason Rodgers gets pressure is almost exclusively because he holds the ball too damn long.

There isn't an offensive line in the league that can consistently give the QB 8 seconds in the pocket to throw the ball. If you think that is the solution to the problem, you'll never find it.
    King you keep making sense to me. You've obviously improved greatly, stick with those meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    King you keep making sense to me. You've obviously improved greatly, stick with those meds.
    Lithium is a wonderful thing.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post

King Friday, I believe that your on the right track, but let me fill in a few blanks .

First, no Offensive Line in the NFL is expected to protect a QB for more than 3 to 3.5 sec. max , so if the QB is not passing the football to a target in that time window, there must be a reason .
    Second, the WR's /TE's are expected to be targets for the QB to throw to. They must demonstrate to the QB that they will be a safe as well as a good target to gain yards/TD with. This means that the receivers must be quick enough to separate from their defender and get open .
    Third, if the QB throws them the ball , it is their job to catch the ball .
    Forth, provided they have caught the ball, they are supposed to gain as much ground as they can/score if possible.

The answer is a lack of speed or a bad case of slow. This was last seasons problem as well . I'm hoping that Nelson and Cook will be the difference this season. However, don't look for any marked improvements until after the bye week. In addition, each week this seasons O-Line should get better at both pass/run blocking .

If your not the lead dog , then the view never changes !

The speed argument if we didn't have clips of receivers open who are not even in the read progression of the offense.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The speed argument if we didn't have clips of receivers open who are not even in the read progression of the offense.
    pbmax, IMO, I see MM making a change with respect to Adams . Either Abby (my choice) or Montgomery will take his place for lack of effectiveness . Being slow with hands of stone are poor qualities in a WR . I'm putting my money on Nelson and Cook to step their play . Cobb remains the Packer's WR2 .

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    pbmax, IMO, I see MM making a change with respect to Adams . Either Abby (my choice) or Montgomery will take his place for lack of effectiveness . Being slow with hands of stone are poor qualities in a WR . I'm putting my money on Nelson and Cook to step their play . Cobb remains the Packer's WR2 .

#1 wr Cobb
    #2 wr Nelson
    #3 Dick rod
    #4 cook (deep threat)
    #5 anyone else
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

A lot of support for the O Line in here hahahahaha. It's been said an O Line can't be expected to hold off the pass rush for 3-3.5 seconds. How about 1-1.5 seconds? If you actually watch the game, you see, that soon - almost immediately - Rodgers has people flushing him out of the pocket. Does he have a slow release? Of course not. Is he indecisive - beyond normal care to avoid interceptions? hell no. He is on the run, either hitting receivers on the run or resetting and throwing or taking off and running with great success. It is bonehead STUPID to whine about the time before he releases the ball under the circumstances! Would you guys rather have him chuck it quick for an interception? Would you rather he just stood there and took a bunch of sacks?

We've got the greatest QB in the NFL, maybe in the history of the NFL, and incredibly, he gets criticized because he is playing behind a mediocre at best O Line, because his coach forces a run-first situation which wastes downs and puts pressure on him to pass in obvious passing situations. I say again, it's bonehead STUPID to criticize him.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    A lot of support for the O Line in here hahahahaha. It's been said an O Line can't be expected to hold off the pass rush for 3-3.5 seconds. How about 1-1.5 seconds? If you actually watch the game, you see, that soon - almost immediately - Rodgers has people flushing him out of the pocket. Does he have a slow release? Of course not. Is he indecisive - beyond normal care to avoid interceptions? hell no. He is on the run, either hitting receivers on the run or resetting and throwing or taking off and running with great success. It is bonehead STUPID to whine about the time before he releases the ball under the circumstances! Would you guys rather have him chuck it quick for an interception? Would you rather he just stood there and took a bunch of sacks?

We've got the greatest QB in the NFL, maybe in the history of the NFL, and incredibly, he gets criticized because he is playing behind a mediocre at best O Line, because his coach forces a run-first situation which wastes downs and puts pressure on him to pass in obvious passing situations. I say again, it's bonehead STUPID to criticize him.
    I agree the O-line is far from stellar, and a run first strategy is not likely to give good results. However to pretend that everything is alright with Rodgers is just not a honest assessment. Just within last year alone Rodgers went from all-world the first six games to journeyman the rest. Something happened and he just isn't the same qb he was before.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Maybe today's game will clear up some things. We're going against a depleted D Line and a team that hasn't been very good in general. Will the Packer O Line get beat anyway - not much push on running plays, allowing the pass rush to get through quick on passing plays? Will the line do a decent job and Rodgers flounder anyway? Will the line play like crap and Rodgers do a good job of escaping and being productive? Who knows!

Maybe the Vikings were just better on D than I and a lot of others give them credit for. Maybe a lot of teams have figured something out on how to greatly slow down the Packers. If we lose this game - not likely, or if we have it turned into a close stressful win like against Jacksonville, then the problems are real. The more likely scenario, though, is that a lot of people including me have just been taking the occasion of the loss following the stressful win to vent on a lot of crap that people have been upset about for quite a while but didn't feel like saying while the team was winning.

I'm leaning toward the R-E-L-A-X point of view at this point, thinking that things will return to Goodness and Normalcy today and moving forward ........ but who knows.

Tex, we don't agree on the offensive line play and Rodgers' play, but we do agree that it's a good time to r-e-l-a-x and hope the Green and Gold can go out there and stomp the Lions.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack