Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who called it?

Who called it?

Be honest here, gentlemen. How many here actually believed we were gonna win after you learned how many starters were not going to play?

not me.
    dal 2.0

Road game, best statistical offense in the NFL. I figured if they could injure Jones in the 1st half they had a chance. Damn near pulled it off.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Be honest here, gentlemen. How many here actually believed we were gonna win after you learned how many starters were not going to play?
    After the Dallas game I chalked this up as a loss.

I think we will be lucky to get to 10-6 for the season. We have Indy, Tenn, Wash, Hou, Chi and Det left that we have to win. Eagles, Viqueens, Seahags look like losses.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

I was certain they would lose.
    AFter the first quarter, I was certain they would win - in the bag.

They played with my emotions - unforgivable.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    After the Dallas game I chalked this up as a loss.

I think we will be lucky to get to 10-6 for the season. We have Indy, Tenn, Wash, Hou, Chi and Det left that we have to win. Eagles, Viqueens, Seahags look like losses.
    I don't think the Seahags are the force they once were and we're getting them at home.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    The suggestion seems to be that Green Bay was playing in Atlanta with house money. If this is so, it sort of begs the question: Why didn't Capers install a more aggressive defensive plan, one that entailed more risk but higher rewards? Especially in the second half? More blitzes? More stunts? More dime looks? Blitzes from the dime? Disguised coverages? All in an attempt to force mistakes and game-winning turnovers?

Maybe we still wouldn't have got to Ryan. Maybe he still would have thrown for 288 yds, 3 TD's and a 129.5 QB rating. Maybe he would have done even better. On the other hand, maybe we would have had a better chance to win.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Super Bowl win this year baby.

Count on it.

Fire up the Bretsky Whammy next week.

Guaranteed or your More Banjo money back.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I had a good feeling about Atl game. When everything starts going to &*^% Rodgers tends to rise to the occasion ("r-e-l-a-x"). I still thought they were going to pull it out when they got it back with 0:31 left.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Why didn't Capers install a more aggressive defensive plan, one that entailed more risk but higher rewards?
    Um...because we have ZERO capable CBs? It is a pretty damn stupid idea to blitz 7 and leave a bunch of practice squad caliber DBs on Julio Jones.

Despite all the injuries and such, the team still had a decent chance of pulling out a win yesterday. I don't think you can fault the coaches for their efforts this week. They coached up a depleted roster and gave the team a chance at victory for the most part.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    It is a pretty damn stupid idea to blitz 7 and leave a bunch of practice squad caliber DBs on Julio Jones.
    Blitzing 7 would be a damn stupid idea. That's why I didn't suggest it.

Did you watch the game tonight? The Bears' secondary is about as beat up and inexperienced as ours. How did they compensate for that? They went all in on the pass rush. Bradford didn't have time to think, let alone pass. He was sacked 5 times and hurried 9 times. 228 yds passing. 1 TD. And QB rating of 88.6.

Yeah, I know, Ryan isn't Bradford. But that's not the point. The point is we'll never know if the Bears' strategy would have worked for the Packers because we never gave it a try. Instead, we let Ryan have all the time he needed to pick our secondary apart.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Coulda woulda shoulda ..... I agree, a lot more blitzing would have been a good idea, and that's usually Capers' M.O. He is, however, just the D Coordinator. I suspect our hyper-cautious head coach insinuated his way of doing things and told Capers to tone it down.

I didn't think our young "practice squad level" Corners did all that bad, Gunter especially. If you do want to protect them, though, the way to do it ain't back off and play pseudo-prevent. It's maximize the pass rush.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Coulda woulda shoulda ..... I agree, a lot more blitzing would have been a good idea, and that's usually Capers' M.O. He is, however, just the D Coordinator. I suspect our hyper-cautious head coach insinuated his way of doing things and told Capers to tone it down.

I didn't think our young "practice squad level" Corners did all that bad, Gunter especially. If you do want to protect them, though, the way to do it ain't back off and play pseudo-prevent. It's maximize the pass rush.
    By the way, Tex, nice call on the Monday Night Vikes/Bears game! As painful as it is to say, Jay Cutler put on a clinic.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post

I thought I read somewhere that MM lets Capers run his defense as he sees fit.

Capers was really in a pickle: blitz and expose his backup DBs as they try to keep up with Atlanta's WRs or do what he did and hope for a TO or another mistake by the Falcons and keep them out of the end zone. Had we had any kind of a running game perhaps we would have been able to sustain at least one drive in the 3rd quarter and scored a FG or TD so we wouldn't have been in that precarious position at the end of the game.

By the way, Tex, nice call on the Monday Night Vikes/Bears game! As painful as it is to say, Jay Cutler put on a clinic.
    Like someone said on ESPN last night after the game - Cutlet is the ultimate tease. He'll have a game like he did last night and get everyone excited and the next week he'll play like he usually does.

Blog Entries
    Blitzing 7 would be a damn stupid idea. That's why I didn't suggest it.

Did you watch the game tonight? The Bears' secondary is about as beat up and inexperienced as ours. How did they compensate for that? They went all in on the pass rush. Bradford didn't have time to think, let alone pass. He was sacked 5 times and hurried 9 times. 228 yds passing. 1 TD. And QB rating of 88.6.

Yeah, I know, Ryan isn't Bradford. But that's not the point. The point is we'll never know if the Bears' strategy would have worked for the Packers because we never gave it a try. Instead, we let Ryan have all the time he needed to pick our secondary apart.
    Here's yet another in a long line of confusing results with intent. The Bears, as is their norm, played it soft in coverage and rarely blitzed. Their front four demolished the Vikes OL but the Bears strategy was very similar to the Packers - with a different result.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Here's yet another in a long line of confusing results with intent. The Bears, as is their norm, played it soft in coverage and rarely blitzed. Their front four demolished the Vikes OL but the Bears strategy was very similar to the Packers - with a different result.
    MN's O line is in much worse shape today than it was in week 2.

I think if the Packers played more zone, he might have blitzed more. But because they are in man, he wanted help with Jones but also the middle of the field.

That said, I am all for variety. Would have loved to see a little more blitzing. I think the sent 5 maybe twice.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I think if the Packers played more zone, he might have blitzed more. But because they are in man, he wanted help with Jones but also the middle of the field.

That said, I am all for variety. Would have loved to see a little more blitzing. I think the sent 5 maybe twice.
    I agree, particularly on the last drive. Hingsight's 20/20 and it's the luxury of us fans.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I agree, particularly on the last drive. Hingsight's 20/20 and it's the luxury of us fans.
    It's not all hindsight, Vince. Check out the game thread.