Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Has the NFL bubble burst?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    But are revenues shrinking? The contracts with the networs have 5 and 6 years yet to run
    OK, but we don't need no stinkin facts. If viewership is dropping, revenue has to follow soon enough. We need gut-level insight, not some pointy-headed bureaucrat. Believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    That's right, you don't. Your heavy-handed moderating has resulted in fear and loathing. You need to develop a more community policing approach. It wouldn't kill you to learn peoples names, ask about people's families, etc.
    stop being mean to what's-his-name!

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    stop being mean to what's-his-name!
    Joe the moderator?

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    Joe the moderator?
    whoever he was telling to learn people's names. (was a joke)

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    whoever he was telling to learn people's names. (was a joke)
    Oh I know, just playing along.

Oh I know, just playing along.
    dang it! went over my head. crapped on my hat as it went by.

It seems weird to talk about bad online streaming as a reason ratings are down.

Fantasy got me interested in other teams I wouldn't have watched otherwise and matchup strategy, but it's also (after 15 years) made players feel even more anonymous and replaceable.

Also, for gamblers and non-gamblers, I wonder whether FF is still a draw. For gamblers, FF has gone the way of online poker, where more folks saw the wins concentrated in the wallets of whales harvesting newbies' money (and then all being shut down by the feds). For non-gamblers, like me, maybe a lot of them have "figured out" the game to where the time investment in players is no longer worth the thrill of victory. When my league drafted this year, most of my players were whomever Yahoo had at the top of their position, with me shrugging and saying, "Sure, why not?"

For me, I feel like I've aged out of following players younger than me, playing out the same drama lines I've seen before. At least the kneeling protests are something novel.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

This was peak NFL:

I loved that team.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Could be the downturn have anything to do with almost 10% of teams in the last year either leaving or trying to leave their loyal fan bases in the quest by their owners for more money?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    How about there is only so much time a week I can watch football?

It doesn't matter how many primetime games they put out there. I am going to watch the Packers and maybe a half of the Sunday or Monday night game before doing household chores. The lawn don't mow itself.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

+1, Dan.

Kids, wife, job, house, dogs, chickens, kids.

I don't have 30 minutes of discretionary time, let alone three hours.

Quote Originally Posted by NewsBruin View Post
    Fantasy got me interested in other teams I wouldn't have watched otherwise and matchup strategy, but it's also (after 15 years) made players feel even more anonymous and replaceable.
    I hadn't thought about this angle. Everybody has their own ax to grind on why the NFL is losing interest; mine is that players have become interchangeable parts. Fantasy football probably contributes as much to that perception as the constantly churning rosters.

Plus, how many dick-pill and shitty beer commercials does one have to endure if watching a game live? I sure as shit don't need dick pills and I don't drink that goat urine that passes for mass market "beer".

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    This was peak NFL:

I loved that team.
    I lived in Maryland at the time of the weird loss in what, the AFC Championship game, was it? Was that the one against the Broncos? Where the Brownies had the game, and somebody fumbled or some damn thing after Marty decided to sit on the lead. I liked the Browns - the tradition, y'know? But after they lost, it kinda broke their spirit, like Houston's spirit got broken after the Bills' comeback playoff game.

Mike Pruitt. I loved that guy. He was shifty and quick.

Packers could use a Mike Pruitt.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Plus, how many dick-pill and shitty beer commercials does one have to endure if watching a game live?
    I've found the marathon games are more endurable if you interact with the dicks and pills on the packerrats game thread during commercials. In fact, it is the greatest benefit of your packerrat membership.

Muting the game is the best coping mechanism.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Plus, how many dick-pill and shitty beer commercials does one have to endure if watching a game live? I sure as shit don't need dick pills and I don't drink that goat urine that passes for mass market "beer".
    As someone who works out 4 days a week, I only drink light beer. I've tried Bud Light and Coors Light. Hated 'em.

Miller Lite, however, is the bomb. My taste buds love it.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    I, too, mainly watch the Packers. Not sure why I am still shelling out big bucks for DirecTv and the Sunday Tix, when the only other shows I watch beside the Pack are Family Guy, the Simpsons and The Big Bang Theory, all of which can now be watched in cyberspace.

Maybe it's cos I have no wife, no life and no future shutdown corner offspring.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Thursday Night Football only available on NFL Network. Jags/Titans. I hope the NFL drops this Thursday garbage after this year.

Thursday Night Football only available on NFL Network. Jags/Titans. I hope the NFL drops this Thursday garbage after this year.
    This could be the smallest tv audience ever for a nationally televised game. Still, I'm sure the NFL is making money on the games so they're here to stay.