Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Has the NFL bubble burst?

Has the NFL bubble burst?

the nfl might have a problem on their hands, TV ratings are waaaaaay down this year. not just a little, like 15-20% less then they were at the same time last year

every primetime game has had much lower numbers then the game in the same time frame from last year

is the NFL on the downside of the hill, much like our packers?

Well, entertainment is so wide and diversified that ratings for EVERYTHING are steadily going down. There are just more and more options, more and more sports and other interests.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    The religion of the NFL was bound to go down some as their level of dominance was unsustainable. Don't think the bubble has burst yet, but there definitely are the warning signs.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Some of the matchups haven't been as great as last year. Opening night was Denver/Carolina, but Manning's retirement took away some of the interest in that game. Thursday Night's matchup of Bills/Jets probably doesn't generate much interest outside of the New York area. Superstar players, especially QB's, draw viewers, and a lot of the prime time games have lacked those. Brady out. Romo out. Probably too early to say this is a trend.

Maybe some people are sick of millionaires who play a game for a living taking a knee against the flag and decide to just not watch irrelevant games
    I am better looking than you.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    I stopped watching games live as the cost to follow an out of market team with NFL ticket was too much. I use NFL gamepass now and watch Sunday night or Monday morning. I think a lot of people are cord cutting as well with lots of different streaming options becoming better and more available. Around the same time I decided to stop paying for NFL ticket I also cancelled DirecTV as that was the only reason I had it. I'm saving around $850 a year, but probably more as no doubt DirecTV's prices would go up as they always do.

I think the matchups certainly have something to do with it. There is also something to the fact that many people just don't watch from home anymore. As more and more homes cut the cord from cable, the Sunday Ticket package is picked up less and less. People just choose to go to the local sports bar instead. That doesn't register correctly in the ratings. The weather at this time of year has also been warmer/better than normal in many parts of the country...so people may just choose to be outdoors in the evenings before it starts to get too cold to do so.

I also think the hyping of betting/fantasy sports is a double edged sword. Yeah, it draws interest for those with a "stake" in games and would seem to drive MORE interest...but only until someone's wager is toast for the week and they lose interest in even casually watching anymore. If they have a bad day in fantasy/gambling, they may just skip tuning into the prime time game even if they probably would have otherwise.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

sorry but people have always gone to sports bars, and always will

thats not the problem imo

poor matchups? nah. GB has on of the biggest national followings in the league, and they were playing their second most hated rival, who has one of the best players in the nfl and a brand new stadium. and yet the ratings were down 11% from the sunday night game in week 2 last year, which also featured the vikings

Market saturation. Sunday night games, Monday night games, Thursday night games. Football 12 months of the year. The draft. The combine. Beginning of free agency period. Mel kipper. The NFL network. On and on.

Scandal. Deflate gate. Free Brady! Drugs. Millionaires knocking women around. DUIs. Steroids. Oh my!

Roger Gooddell as the face of the league. A bumbling, unlikeable, uncharismatic, smarmy, douchey, power hungry attack dog for the owners. Other than 32 Billionaires, who likes this pogue?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    sorry but people have always gone to sports bars, and always will

thats not the problem imo

poor matchups? nah. GB has on of the biggest national followings in the league, and they were playing their second most hated rival, who has one of the best players in the nfl and a brand new stadium. and yet the ratings were down 11% from the sunday night game in week 2 last year, which also featured the vikings
    No it didn't. The Sunday Night Game in Week 2 last year was Packers/Seahawks, which was billed as a rematch of the NFC Title Game from the previous year. In my opinion, that game had much more national interest than Packers/Vikings.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I cancelled Sunday Ticket years ago. Fuck em!

They need a new Pope for this NFL religion.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

If ratings are down now, it would seemingly only get worse when the new TV season begins soon.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Red Zone fantasy football zombies? Know anyone who seems to care more about fantasy football than the real thing? Yeesh.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Senior Rat Veteran TravisWilliams23's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arcilite View Post
    Maybe some people are sick of millionaires who play a game for a living taking a knee against the flag and decide to just not watch irrelevant games
    This. That's the constant complaint I've heard so far this season from co-workers. Goodell screwed the pooch on handling the anthem protest and now the league is paying for it.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Market saturation. Sunday night games, Monday night games, Thursday night games. Football 12 months of the year. The draft. The combine. Beginning of free agency period. Mel kipper. The NFL network. On and on.

Scandal. Deflate gate. Free Brady! Drugs. Millionaires knocking women around. DUIs. Steroids. Oh my!

Roger Gooddell as the face of the league. A bumbling, unlikeable, uncharismatic, smarmy, douchey, power hungry attack dog for the owners. Other than 32 Billionaires, who likes this pogue?
    Damn, that reads like "We Didn't Start the Fire" by Billy Joel.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post

Strong work there, George.

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    I stopped watching games live as the cost to follow an out of market team with NFL ticket was too much. I use NFL gamepass now and watch Sunday night or Monday morning. I think a lot of people are cord cutting as well with lots of different streaming options becoming better and more available. Around the same time I decided to stop paying for NFL ticket I also cancelled DirecTV as that was the only reason I had it. I'm saving around $850 a year, but probably more as no doubt DirecTV's prices would go up as they always do.
    Try to find someone back in Wisconsin willing and invest in a Slingbox. We are doing it now and it works great. We purchased a refurbished Slingbox on Amazon and set it up in my BIL's house in GB. Anything he gets from his cable company is streamed to us via the internet. We can now watch all of the programming in GB down here.

Don't look now, but another arrow in the quiver of those who predict a decline in the future for the NFL, such as Mark Cuban. MNF posted an anemic 5.7 overnight rating this week. Granted, it was up against the CLUMP debate...which had a huge viewership. However, this is yet another example of how the NFL's drive to expand into every nook and cranny of the TV schedule might not be paying dividends. If people see it every day of the week, it isn't special anymore. Good thing they have a game in London at 9:30am Eastern this week...I'm sure lots of people will be tuning in to that one.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Don't look now, but another arrow in the quiver of those who predict a decline in the future for the NFL, such as Mark Cuban. MNF posted an anemic 5.7 overnight rating this week. Granted, it was up against the CLUMP debate...which had a huge viewership. However, this is yet another example of how the NFL's drive to expand into every nook and cranny of the TV schedule might not be paying dividends. If people see it every day of the week, it isn't special anymore. Good thing they have a game in London at 9:30am Eastern this week...I'm sure lots of people will be tuning in to that one.
    I think MNF has been in decline for a while. Sunday Night is now the marquee game. I sure don't watch MNF like I used to. You also have 2 teams from the same region of the country who haven't been good for a few years. And you had the debate that more than 80 million people watched.

Giants at Vikings this Monday might give us a better idea where MNF stands.