Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Read This, Be Smarter: The Undoing of McCarthy's Offense

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    This article, almost certainly, will be garbage

http://insider.espn.com/nfl/insider/...eeded-nfl-2016

I would confirm its garbage, buts its behind their Insider paywall. But I bet it will be garbage.
    My guess: it either provides an illuminating diagnosis (Rodgers is in a slump) or it offers an original explanation for the diagnosis (Rodgers's inaccuracy is a result of Steve Sax syndrome).

Maybe it is the Steve Sax syndrome. He missed Jared Cook when there was nobody around Rodgers at all, on a pass in which Cook was about seven yards away from him. Who knows?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Maybe it is the Steve Sax syndrome. He missed Jared Cook when there was nobody around Rodgers at all, on a pass in which Cook was about seven yards away from him. Who knows?
    Maybe the ball was wet and it slipped out of his hand. To fix it Rodgers needs to do way more of those wet ball drills.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    This article, almost certainly, will be garbage

http://insider.espn.com/nfl/insider/...eeded-nfl-2016

I would confirm its garbage, buts its behind their Insider paywall. But I bet it will be garbage.
    It is pretty garbage. It's deep on stats (YPA, DYAR) without any real analysis as to why it has happened or how to get out of it.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    It is pretty garbage. It's deep on stats (YPA, DYAR) without any real analysis as to why it has happened or how to get out of it.
    You have confirmed it is indeed Garbage. Thank you.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I will be curious to see how McCarthy comes out on Sunday. Detroit is without Ziggy Ansah, and probably without Levy and another starting linebacker. So do you run Lacy like crazy against what is now a mediocre line? Or do you fire up the short passing game?

Normally, as you all know, I tend to be slightly pessimistic, seeing other teams' strengths and the Packers' weaknesses, though I try to be hopeful. But really, outside of Stafford, two good-but-not-great receivers, and a very good corner and safety, the Lions have very little in the cupboard. Ebron played well last week, but he's limping now too.

If the Packers can't get untracked against this team, there is some real trouble at 1265 Lambeau, and it will be a very long bye week break.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Short passing, long passing, medium passing - PASS FIRST! Oh, you asked what they WILL do, not what they SHOULD do? Probably they will run it on first and second down, gain about 2 or 3 yards each time, then put pressure on Rodgers to pass on 3rd down when the whole world expects it. Mediocre Lion D Line? I doubt our O Line will be able to dominate even that. The past few seasons, the Lions DBs have been sub-standard. If they haven't upgraded that, or even if they have, I assume Aaron Rodgers will be able to take advantage of them - as soon as McCarthy gets the message - maybe mid-4th quarter - that run-first ain't working.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I don't know, Tex. The way the Packer O has been playing, a pass-first mentality will bring lots of third-and-eight's. I'd prefer a couple runs and a third-and-four. I just wish, once Rodgers got to that, he'd just hit the open man short a few times. Quit looking for the home run the whole time. Sure, take a glance. But if it ain't there, check down. The Lions have Darious Slay, who will probably be matched up on Nelson mostly. This should open things up for Cobb or even Adams.

KYPack

How do you figure that? Even two incompletions would make it 3rd and 10 - and how likely is that consistently with Rodgers?

I think the twin criticisms of Rodgers not looking for short passes and holding the ball too long are bogus. He simply can't pass in rhythm in 2.5 seconds or less or whatever because the pass rush is all over him quicker than that. If he is holding the ball longer than 2.5, it's almost always because he is escaping and either resetting or throwing on the run. As for checking down or just hitting shorter passes, of course he does that when applicable. However, the big pass rush with just the D Line enables the other team to stop those short passes with LBs and also to jump the short routes because Rodgers may not have time to hit a long pass. All that plus this year's receiver group - minus Janis and with Nelson maybe not yet 100% - has a hard time getting open even with single coverage.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    This is what I love about Packerrats.

We have one group who is pissed we run too much. We have another group that says MM gives up on the run too soon. Both groups say it is MM fault.

This year I would lean towards giving up on the run since we are throwing over 60-some percent of the time.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Tex, it is entirely within the realm of possibility that Rodgers could complete a two-yard pass, though admittedly, he often misses those short, easy throws by putting the ball at the receiver's feet...

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    This is what I love about Packerrats.

We have one group who is pissed we run too much. We have another group that says MM gives up on the run too soon. Both groups say it is MM fault.

This year I would lean towards giving up on the run since we are throwing over 60-some percent of the time.
    I would except the passing game is such a mess that I think Rodgers would get destroyed.

My main problem with the running game is that there is no plan. He doesn't run anything to setup anything. He did use play action in Jacksonville but that disappeared versus Minnesota.

I would prefer they ditch the shotgun spread with RB next to QB and go pistol/shortgun instead.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Put Rodgers back under center.

Run the ball.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Tex, it is entirely within the realm of possibility that Rodgers could complete a two-yard pass, though admittedly, he often misses those short, easy throws by putting the ball at the receiver's feet...
    And WHY do you think that is? Maybe because the pass rush is on him in about half a second, and people are telling him to get rid of it quick? Oh yeah, and because the receiver is covered?

I'd rather he escapes the rush and throws it down field for a good gain, but that's just me.

I'd like to see more plays under center too, but there again, with this O Line ....... It seems that the only way to buy even 1-1.5 seconds is shotgun.