Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: R-E-L-A-X

R-E-L-A-X

I kind of like how this team looks. I think a lot of the blame can actually fall on Rodgers and McCarthy. Rodgers is just out of sync. However, I think Adams and Cobb look healthy. Jordy is getting into shape. Cook will be a weapon. Lacy looks good. The defense looks solid.

McCarthy doesn't need to prove to people that he's not a conservative coach. If you have a chance to tie a ball game late in the third quarter against a stout defense, you do it. That changed the complexion of the game. I'd like to see them go with four WR sets and mix in Abby and Monty more. Cobb and Abby or Monty (rotating them) in the slot to give DBs a different look. I'd also like to see them with a set where Cobb and Monty are in the backfield together. Mix things up. The offense is too stagnant. Give Lacy more carries also. He looks good. I know they want to keep him fresh, but he needs a few more carries.

Rodgers needs to get back to fundamentals and he needs to quit holding onto the ball. He gets in these ruts from time to time. My biggest concern is Sam Shields. This team is a lot different without him. Somebody that you don't appreciate until he's not in there. It's a bit like losing Jordy at WR. It just throws the hole hierarchy out of whack.

We'll see, but our next 9 games are:

All at home: Detroit, Giants, Dallas, Chicago
    At Atlanta
    Indy at home
    At Tennessee, at Washington, at Philadelphia
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

There are a lot of reasons to feel good about this team! They have the making of a good running team and they have a good defensive front. Like you said, with a healthy shields we have a good secondary too. Let's see how it all blends together before we jump to conclusions.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Ain't gonna relax 'til the offense starts playing like 2011 again.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

If we think about it we went on the road against a divisional rival who was christening a shiny new greenhouse with a very good defense. We played like garbage at times and came up short because MM foolishly didn't go for the sure points to tie the game and that was the difference. Detroit ain't MN and I just can't see MN going to Carolina without the threat of AP and winning there next week.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I kind of like how this team looks. I think a lot of the blame can actually fall on Rodgers and McCarthy. Rodgers is just out of sync. However, I think Adams and Cobb look healthy. Jordy is getting into shape. Cook will be a weapon. Lacy looks good. The defense looks solid.

McCarthy doesn't need to prove to people that he's not a conservative coach. If you have a chance to tie a ball game late in the third quarter against a stout defense, you do it. That changed the complexion of the game. I'd like to see them go with four WR sets and mix in Abby and Monty more. Cobb and Abby or Monty (rotating them) in the slot to give DBs a different look. I'd also like to see them with a set where Cobb and Monty are in the backfield together. Mix things up. The offense is too stagnant. Give Lacy more carries also. He looks good. I know they want to keep him fresh, but he needs a few more carries.

Rodgers needs to get back to fundamentals and he needs to quit holding onto the ball. He gets in these ruts from time to time. My biggest concern is Sam Shields. This team is a lot different without him. Somebody that you don't appreciate until he's not in there. It's a bit like losing Jordy at WR. It just throws the hole hierarchy out of whack.

We'll see, but our next 9 games are:

All at home: Detroit, Giants, Dallas, Chicago
    At Atlanta
    Indy at home
    At Tennessee, at Washington, at Philadelphia
    Good post. I think the biggest thing is Rodgers getting the ball out. Get the tempo of the offense up instead of running the play clock down from no-huddle trying to out-scheme the D at the line every play.

I still say the bulk of the blame falls on the O Line. Sure, Rodgers shoulda had better ball security, but he never shoulda had to run for his life like that over and over and over. If Rodgers only had time to drop back, allow receivers to run a pattern, and throw it, but he virtually never does.

I blame McCarthy - as usual, games won and games lost - for lousy play calling. Too much run-first, even run twice then force a situation where the whole world knows a pass is needed on 3rd and long or medium. It's like he tries to kill the clock for about 3 1/2 quarters then expects Rodgers to bring home a win at the end. I wish he'd get it through his head, what works in desperation time would work all game. Hell, there shouldn't/wouldn't even be a desperation time.

I blame Ted Thompson for not building a better team around Rodgers. Other teams find gems like Hurns/Robinson and Diggs; We get stuck with Davante Adams. We draft a Corner in the first and get stuck with Damarious Randall. Ditto that for just about every position group. Other teams actually cough up some money for a worthwhile free agent occasionally. Why does just about everybody's O Line outplay our D Line? Why does just about everybody's D Line outplay our O Line? I'll tell you why; Because for Thompson/McCarthy, good enough is good enough - they never maximize things. And the result of that mediocrity is sometimes, good enough is not good enough, even with Aaron Rodgers STILL masking shortcomings in just about every area of the team.

And WHY in hell did they cut a very decent rookie and and adequate veteran to get this all out piece of shit punter?
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Tex, McCarthy and Rodgers called 20 runs. 3 runs were Rodgers escaping the pocket. Attempted 36 passes in addition to that. So the ratio for the game is:

Run 20 : Pass 39

That not too much running. He tried to make it work in the first half and it wasn't happening.

Rodgers was 3 for 29. RBs were 20 for 54 (Starks was terrible, Lacy was much more respectable 12 for 50).

The Packers needed to pass in an environment that their tackles could not get good starts. Of course they were going to be under the gun. The short passing game was ineffectual and they couldn't complete a long pass to save their life.

Harv makes some good points re the O line and the health of the offense. Also Cook will only get more involved. But this pattern is very familiar now. Its been going on for 14 games.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Cook might turn out to be a good player who is not an elite receiver. This is his eighth season, if he was really Jermichael Finley he would be outside of TT's price range.

we supposedly have the easiest schedule in the league. the way the o is performing i don't see it that way. every game is going to be a last minute victory or loss. the d is playing well and what troubles it has can be fixed. it's not a talent problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    we supposedly have the easiest schedule in the league. the way the o is performing i don't see it that way. every game is going to be a last minute victory or loss. the d is playing well and what troubles it has can be fixed. it's not a talent problem.
    Edited for lack of reading comp. I hate Mondays!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Cook might turn out to be a good player who is not an elite receiver. This is his eighth season, if he was really Jermichael Finley he would be outside of TT's price range.
    Was Finley ever out of TT's price range? Cook might actually be Finley as Finley really was, but not as some want to remember what Finley was.

It seems like Finley is getting better and better the longer it is from when he played.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Finley had crisco on his hands, he was all potential.

I would like to see AR get some more accuracy. He missed three deep balls and was off on the perimeter passes.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Was Monty targeted at all? We have been waiting for this guy to come back because he added a nice twist to the offense...what gives?
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Was Finley ever out of TT's price range? Cook might actually be Finley as Finley really was, but not as some want to remember what Finley was.

It seems like Finley is getting better and better the longer it is from when he played.
    J-Mike was a damn good "modern-day" TE. Too fast for LBs. Too big for DBs. Excellent route-runner. Awesome after the catch.

J-Mike didn't put up Gronkish numbers b/c there's only 1 rock and the Great Arm of Butte also had to feed the egos of young uns like Jennings, Nelson, Cobb and Jones, as well as the ole stud Driver. J-Mike's presence alone opened up mano-a-mano opportunities for the aforementioned receivers, forcing opponents to "pick their poison."

Fuck Hades and his 4 inch cock in that J-Mike's career ended prematurely. The Packers madly could've used J-Mike last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Was Monty targeted at all? We have been waiting for this guy to come back because he added a nice twist to the offense...what gives?
    We're saving it for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    J-Mike was a damn good "modern-day" TE. Too fast for LBs. Too big for DBs. Excellent route-runner. Awesome after the catch.

J-Mike didn't put up Gronkish numbers b/c there's only 1 rock and the Great Arm of Butte also had to feed the egos of young uns like Jennings, Nelson, Cobb and Jones, as well as the ole stud Driver. J-Mike's presence alone opened up mano-a-mano opportunities for the aforementioned receivers, forcing opponents to "pick their poison."

Fuck Hades and his 4 inch cock in that J-Mike's career ended prematurely. The Packers madly could've used J-Mike last season.
    You might be the only person I know who thinks Finley was an "excellent route-runner."

I do agree that losing him was a negative thing, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    You might be the only person I know who thinks Finley was an "excellent route-runner."

I do agree that losing him was a negative thing, however.
    The film don't lie. Watch how J-Mike runs routes. Excellent, indeed.

Sorry, but a highlight reel about Finley is no more convincing than similar highlight reels about prospects. All it means is that someone found a dozen or so plays in which he did do a good job. A few accidentally well run routes do not make anyone an "excellent route runner" and for all we know those were just that, accidentally well run.

I like the team. The talent is there.

I'm growing to hate the head coach. He's a small minded simpleton who makes enormous strategical errors in critical moments.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Tex, McCarthy and Rodgers called 20 runs. 3 runs were Rodgers escaping the pocket. Attempted 36 passes in addition to that. So the ratio for the game is:

Run 20 : Pass 39

That not too much running. He tried to make it work in the first half and it wasn't happening.

Rodgers was 3 for 29. RBs were 20 for 54 (Starks was terrible, Lacy was much more respectable 12 for 50).

The Packers needed to pass in an environment that their tackles could not get good starts. Of course they were going to be under the gun. The short passing game was ineffectual and they couldn't complete a long pass to save their life.

Harv makes some good points re the O line and the health of the offense. Also Cook will only get more involved. But this pattern is very familiar now. Its been going on for 14 games.
    So...pass to set up the run? Doesn't that usually involve the short-passing game? Wouldn't that be something our quicker slot WRs could do (Cobb, Ty, Abbrederis)?
    It seemed like they couldn't sustain any drives; they'd run Lacy on 1st down for 4 yards, then Rodgers would throw two incompletions.