Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Week 3 Other Games Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    I know pb but he has a history of doing it over and over again...year after year. He just knows how to put a game plan together that plays to the strength of his team regardless of who in the hell he has available to play. It's not just this game by any measure. I've been watching him do this for a long time. They supposedly didn't have any chance when they went to Arizona for the first game either. He's not afraid to change the damn game plan every week if he has to if it gives his team the best chance to be competitive and win. He just doesn't sit there and continue to try to pound a square peg into a round hole no matter how many times it fails like so many other coaches do.
    Another thing he's done a couple of times that has impressed me is use WRs to fill in when he's out of CBs. He did it with Troy Brown, and again with Endleman. How screwed are other teams when they have to press their #4 CB into a starting roll? He goes to the other side of the ball, during a playoff game and find a guy who forces a fumble.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    I agree that he makes a lot of GM decisions that leave you scratching your head and I don't think he's necessarily one of the best in that capacity but strictly as a coach, he sure knows how to get the best out of whatever players he has a available and how to change the emphasis of his game plan from week to week depending on who they are playing. (Using Te's heavy, running heavy, short passing game, using backs as receivers, long passing game, etc.) In addition, he's a pretty good defensive minded coach as well. It seems to me that he has a lot of planning input on both sides of the ball.

IT"S TIME TO MAKE A COLLECTIVE STRIKE AT HE NFL INEQUITY AND HURT HOODY GENIUS

Josh McDaniels- GB's next Head Coach
    Overpay and take all of his top assistants to Green Bay

Strike Hard GB !!
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

They beat the Texans! Its like beating Iowa!
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    The thing about Belichick is that he's ruthless as a GM, which mirrors his style as a coach. Players on the roster know they have to perform or they're gone -- no matter who they are. Vets coming to the team via trade or free agency know if they perform they'll not only stick, but play. And Belichick doesn't seem to pay attention to press clippings on particular players. He trusts his own judgement and is willing to take the flack.

Plus, there are certain player-types he's enamored with and he always has them. On defense he likes huge NT's. (He gets rid of Wilfork and acquires Alan Branch and drafts Vincent Valentine). He likes big, athletic LB's and heady DB's. On offense he always has a third down running back ala James White, a quick, sure-handed receiver who makes people miss AND he uses him regularly. He likes WR's ala Julian Edelman -- smallish, quick, smart, hard-nosed, fearless. Then again, he'll break his own rules when the opportunity arises and alter his approach based on the opportunity to get an exceptional talent (Randy Moss, for example).

Definitely one of the best HC's ever.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

How bad is the Texans D?

Seven O lineman blocking (that includes a TE), 3 receiver route, couldn't stop them.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

It'll be fun to play the Texans later on.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    They beat the Texans! Its like beating Iowa!
    They beat them 27-0...with a third string QB...and with injuries to other key players too.

The Packers couldn't beat Houston 27-0 with everyone on the roster healthy...and would probably lose 27-0 if we went down to our 3rd string QB.

Belichick is simply way better than Stubby...and his players buy into the system, which seems to be something of an issue in Green Bay after the Sitton debacle.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    They beat them 27-0...with a third string QB...and with injuries to other key players too.

The Packers couldn't beat Houston 27-0 with everyone on the roster healthy...and would probably lose 27-0 if we went down to our 3rd string QB.

Belichick is simply way better than Stubby...and his players buy into the system, which seems to be something of an issue in Green Bay after the Sitton debacle.
    That's because the coach has lost his offense and possibly his QB. Its not because McCarthy isn't a genius.

Just like the Packers stood to win that game without an inordinate amount of TOs and bad special teams play, the Patriots won going away because they did not turn it over and their special teams were very good.

When teams offenses are relatively equal in yardage gained, points are a result of field position more than any other factor.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    IT"S TIME TO MAKE A COLLECTIVE STRIKE AT HE NFL INEQUITY AND HURT HOODY GENIUS

Josh McDaniels- GB's next Head Coach
    Overpay and take all of his top assistants to Green Bay

Strike Hard GB !!
    J-Mac won't take the job unless Thompson retires or gets beheaded,.

No way in Hades J-Mac signs on to watch Thompson give birth to rookies year after year while hibernating during free agency and the regular season.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Belichick is simply way better than Stubby....
    He's better than the Polar Bear, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    He's better than the Polar Bear, too.
    Not even close.

OK, its probably very close, but Ted is better. GM Hoody has a better coach.

Not even close.

OK, its probably very close, but Ted is better. GM Hoody has a better coach.
    'Draft and develop' Packers under Thompson: 1 (fluke) Super Bowl win, 1 (fluke) Super Bowl appearance.

'Draft, Sign Vets of NFL War, Trade Liberally' Patriots under Belichick: 4 Super Bowl wins, 6 Super Bowl appearances.

Yeah, Belichick can't hold Thompson's jockstrap. Seriously, Belichick's Way is way, way, way better than Thompson's Way. Ain't even close. Belichick is without an ounce of doubt the superior GM.

Proof's in the rings.

Proof's in the rings.
    This ain't a tennis match!

This ain't a tennis match!
    True, but 4 rings still rule 1 (fluke) ring.

True, but 4 rings still rule 1 (fluke) ring.
    No doubt 4 is bigger than 1. But Ted has had less time and has put them into contention just as much. Must have help.

The fluke comment is funnier than home run threat from red zone

I have to agree. No way McMike goes into a game with a third string QB and beats the Texans. Hell, NE hasn't lost yet, has it? And without their All-World QB for every one. GB can't even beat a crippled Minny team with Rodgers.

Advantage Hoody Genius.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I have to agree. No way McMike goes into a game with a third string QB and beats the Texans. Hell, NE hasn't lost yet, has it? And without their All-World QB for every one. GB can't even beat a crippled Minny team with Rodgers.

Advantage Hoody Genius.
    I think everyone needs to get outside and reorient their relationship to the ground.

McCarthy almost beat the Patriots in Gillette using a QB (Flynn) who was less talented than Charcoal Briquet. That's much more impressive than beating the Texans.

Of course, the W is most important and few ask about the quality of the win. But not everyone can play the AFC East and South every year.

A better question is why were Flynn, Coleman and Harrell on the roster for so long?

I disagree with you here, PB. I really do not believe, for a minute, that MM could be undefeated right now with Joe Callahan slinging the rock, even against the Texans. Oh, and don't forget, Hoody's biggest playmaker outside the QB didn't play in the first game, either.

Do you really think MM could've beaten those teams with the same lack of weapons? Hell, he couldn't even figure out how to get it done without Jordy last year, and with him this year.

I'm not saying he's awful. He's very good as a coach, and if somehow he landed on the street, he'd have a job in five minutes. But he's not as good as Hoody.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I disagree with you here, PB. I really do not believe, for a minute, that MM could be undefeated right now with Joe Callahan slinging the rock, even against the Texans. Oh, and don't forget, Hoody's biggest playmaker outside the QB didn't play in the first game, either.

Do you really think MM could've beaten those teams with the same lack of weapons? Hell, he couldn't even figure out how to get it done without Jordy last year, and with him this year.

I'm not saying he's awful. He's very good as a coach, and if somehow he landed on the street, he'd have a job in five minutes. But he's not as good as Hoody.
    Possibly not. He is on a 2+ season streak of having his offense underwhelm.

But he has been that good before (see @NE). And I think if you put Hundley or Callahan in there, he changes the offense, probably for the better.

No doubt 4 is bigger than 1. But Ted has had less time and has put them into contention just as much. Must have help.

The fluke comment is funnier than home run threat from red zone
    A'rigt then. Lets compare Belichick's first 10 seasons with Thompson's first 10. Too lazy to research it, but I'll bet ya this: Belichick's team won more than a fluke Super Bowl.