Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Official Week 3 Lions at Packers Game Day Thread

game didn't exactly make me feel all warm and fuzzy

we dominated the first half, then held on to barely beat a banged up bad lions team

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    So i figured out the Packers of 2016. Score as many points as you can in the first half. Then, let the other team try to catch up in the 2nd half...and hope you still win.
    Its been going on longer than that.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

we dominated the first half, then held on to barely beat a banged up bad lions team
    Packers were a little banged up too, I noticed. I'll take it. Should get a bunch of people back after the bye week.

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    So i figured out the Packers of 2016. Score as many points as you can in the first half. Then, let the other team try to catch up in the 2nd half...and hope you still win.
    That's been stubby's mo for a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

We were missing our top LB, top CB, the S that is the leader of the secondary, our NT, the top reserve OLB, and early in the game our top TE and our FB. I question taking the air out of the ball at the beginning of the 2nd half, but we won that game and it lets me know we can move it offensively.

Well, they survived the second half. No Shields, Burnett, Matthews, Guion, Jones, no Jared Cook after part of the first quarter.

I liked the running game, and if it was the pass setting it up, so be it. But I also want MM and Rodgers to remember those first-half rhythm passes. And that slant to Adams at the end of the game.

Now a week off to rest, and two weeks to get the team healed up. They need to make hay in October.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I take comfort in the play of the D without 3 starters, 1 major contributor.

I take no comfort in the game plan in the second half.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Arclite makes some good points about at least the offensive game plan in the Banjo thread.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Ras helped me. He was being a smart-ass pointing out that diggs aint no rook so I mimicked him.

Bte Ras, enjoy the afterglow of last week's Queens victory while it lasts. Your team beat us by 3 pts while our qb played like Brooks Bollinger. You lost the Switch Hitter. Your season is done.

The great first half and the miserable second half illustrate exactly what I've been saying: PASS FIRST, Pass on early downs, pass quick if it's open, escape and pass down field if necessary - which it usually is, pass, pass, pass ....... and then mix in a few runs for change of pace. They approached that, although still short of the optimum, in the first half.

In the second half, McCarthy stupidly reverted to run-first. He basically took the ball of the hand of his all world QB and did what he has been doing for more than 3 quarters of other games.

Do you suppose he learned anything from the two vastly different halves? Somehow I doubt it.

Regarding the D, I occasionally read disparaging remarks in here about Clay Matthews. Well, we survived without him, but I can't help thinking a lot of those near misses of sacks when the Lions were passing like crazy on us would have been sacks if Matthews had been playing. Our D all the way around was a lot shakier without him.

Regarding the O Line, they performed fairly decent if you take into consideration very low expectations. Rodgers was still rushed in about 1.5 seconds a lot of the time, and the running game still had way more unsuccessful plays than successful. Is Stafford as good or better a QB than Rodgers? I say a big hell no to that. However, he illustrated how a decent but lesser QB with an O Line giving him time to throw can have a helluva lot of success. Just imagine if Rodgers ever had pass protection like that.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    The great first half and the miserable second half illustrate exactly what I've been saying: PASS FIRST, Pass on early downs, pass quick if it's open, escape and pass down field if necessary - which it usually is, pass, pass, pass ....... and then mix in a few runs for change of pace. They approached that, although still short of the optimum, in the first half.
    Except that isn't really what they did in the first half. Here are their play selections, each first down is a new line:

1st Possession:
    run, pass, pass
    run, pass
    pass (inc.), run, pass

2nd Possession:
    Pass
    Run, pass, pass, pass

3rd Possession:
    Run, pass
    Pass

4th Possession
    Pass (inc.), pass (short), pass (inc.), filed goal

5th Possession:
    Pass (inc) – penalty first down
    Pass (short, to Lacy, inc.), run
    Run, pass,
    Pass, run (penalty), pass, pass.

They started the game strong while running on 1st downs quite often.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I don't think MM cares whether he wins by 1 or 100 as long as he wins. He seems unconcerned about keeping his foot on the gas vs. counting possessions and figuring out how to bleed the clock, while possibly allowing the other team to make a game of it. Remember the Atlanta game in 2014 amidst a perfect home record? They were owning Atlanta, much like they were owning Detroit by halftime yesterday. Then, they went into a shell in the second half and held on to win in both games, which takes me back to my points. It's a calculated way to win, but can give the fans discomfort at times. They were certainly short-handed, and probably wanted to make sure they didn't sustain any further injury. Is it the best approach? I don't know. They won.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Packers were a little banged up too, I noticed. I'll take it. Should get a bunch of people back after the bye week.
    Defensive players not playing yesterday:

Letroy Guion
    Datone Jones
    Clay Matthews
    Sam Shields
    Morgan Burnett

Do you gentlemen think not having these defensive players yesterday contributed to Detroit staying in the game?

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Yes, that and I think there is an approach that says to the opposing team, if you want to spend a good chunk of a quarter trying to score, go ahead. We'll keep the lead in our sights, and make sure that you never really catch up, while trying to bleed the clock and keep our guys healthy as possible. I think being short-handed did contribute. They need to figure things out in the defensive backfield. Back in the day, they used to have Al Harris and Charles Woodson covering. Now they have a dinged up Shields and a bunch of youth trying to learn on the go. I wish we had looked to fill the depth with one more experienced vet vs. all the youth and inexperience. Sure they will learn, but hopefully not before it costs the Packers in a big game. When the front 7 gets healthy after the by, I think they could have a nice season. It's the DB's that need to step it up, and hold up their end of the bargain. If Randall can't cover one on one, get him some help.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I don't mind running on first down as they often do. Helps set up a second down where pass or run is an option and keeps play action viable. Though they too often start the game with a run. I don't remember the last pass to open a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post

Letroy Guion
    Datone Jones
    Clay Matthews
    Sam Shields
    Morgan Burnett

Do you gentlemen think not having these defensive players yesterday contributed to Detroit staying in the game?
    Yep. So did Randall's illness.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    To be fair, Detroit had three starters and several key backups out with injuries and a couple of walking wounded as well. They'll say that contributed to their defeat. Nobody can know what the outcome would have been if both teams were 100% healthy. It's worthless to speculate.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post

Letroy Guion
    Datone Jones
    Clay Matthews
    Sam Shields
    Morgan Burnett

We could even add Mike Pennel to the pity party.

But as was pointed out by Maximus, Lions were short handed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I don't think MM cares whether he wins by 1 or 100 as long as he wins. He seems unconcerned about keeping his foot on the gas vs. counting possessions and figuring out how to bleed the clock, while possibly allowing the other team to make a game of it. Remember the Atlanta game in 2014 amidst a perfect home record? They were owning Atlanta, much like they were owning Detroit by halftime yesterday. Then, they went into a shell in the second half and held on to win in both games, which takes me back to my points. It's a calculated way to win, but can give the fans discomfort at times. They were certainly short-handed, and probably wanted to make sure they didn't sustain any further injury. Is it the best approach? I don't know. They won.
    You're probably right ....... and that's an OK thing right up until it isn't. Occasionally, something goes wrong with that "just getting by" approach, and you don't. In other words, rarely, Aaron Rodgers doesn't bail him out from his stupid tendency to be that way.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...all_vis_drives

Draw your own conclusions from facts.