Thread: Official Week 3 Lions at Packers Game Day Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The great first half and the miserable second half illustrate exactly what I've been saying: PASS FIRST, Pass on early downs, pass quick if it's open, escape and pass down field if necessary - which it usually is, pass, pass, pass ....... and then mix in a few runs for change of pace. They approached that, although still short of the optimum, in the first half.

In the second half, McCarthy stupidly reverted to run-first. He basically took the ball of the hand of his all world QB and did what he has been doing for more than 3 quarters of other games.

Do you suppose he learned anything from the two vastly different halves? Somehow I doubt it.

Regarding the D, I occasionally read disparaging remarks in here about Clay Matthews. Well, we survived without him, but I can't help thinking a lot of those near misses of sacks when the Lions were passing like crazy on us would have been sacks if Matthews had been playing. Our D all the way around was a lot shakier without him.

Regarding the O Line, they performed fairly decent if you take into consideration very low expectations. Rodgers was still rushed in about 1.5 seconds a lot of the time, and the running game still had way more unsuccessful plays than successful. Is Stafford as good or better a QB than Rodgers? I say a big hell no to that. However, he illustrated how a decent but lesser QB with an O Line giving him time to throw can have a helluva lot of success. Just imagine if Rodgers ever had pass protection like that.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    The great first half and the miserable second half illustrate exactly what I've been saying: PASS FIRST, Pass on early downs, pass quick if it's open, escape and pass down field if necessary - which it usually is, pass, pass, pass ....... and then mix in a few runs for change of pace. They approached that, although still short of the optimum, in the first half.
    Except that isn't really what they did in the first half. Here are their play selections, each first down is a new line:

1st Possession:
    run, pass, pass
    run, pass
    pass (inc.), run, pass

2nd Possession:
    Pass
    Run, pass, pass, pass

3rd Possession:
    Run, pass
    Pass

4th Possession
    Pass (inc.), pass (short), pass (inc.), filed goal

5th Possession:
    Pass (inc) – penalty first down
    Pass (short, to Lacy, inc.), run
    Run, pass,
    Pass, run (penalty), pass, pass.

They started the game strong while running on 1st downs quite often.