Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Two things in McCarthy's defense. First, the opposing defense will be taking more chances in the second half yesterday, so if he continues with the aggressive approach then the odds of a turnover or quick three-and-out go up, and when you're up 31-3 at half, the very last thing in the world you want to see is a quick pick-6 going the other way. Nothing gets the opponent who you've been stomping on all first half back in the game like a pick-6. Second, what McCarthy did in the second half yesterday has ramifications for the bigger picture. The Packer offense will be much more formidable if and when it gets to the point where it can impose its will on the defense, and the best way to do that is to run it down their throat. When it doesn't work it can be incredibly frustrating to watch, and can lead to the kind of excruciating second half we witnessed yesterday. But if, come December and January, this team can get to that point of being able to impose its will, we will all be much happier fans.
I'm pretty sure that MM is not as concerned with the interception as he is with keeping the clock moving. We had the ball three times in the 2nd half not counting our last "end the game" drive. We scored on one of the drives and punted twice. One three and out when we started the drive with an incomplete pass. Heck, the Lions only had the ball 5 times in the 2nd half. The problem was that our defense allowed them to trade time off the clock for TDs and the Lions converted four of those drives into 24 points. If I have a 3 TD lead at halftime the clock is my friend.

I understand the philosophy, but when the defense can't get a stop, it makes it tough on the fans.