Thread: Explain NFL contract to me?

Explain NFL contract to me?

There's an article on PFT that the reason the 49ers aren't playing Kaep is because of his injury guarantee, and their asking him to renegotiate.

I thought injured players were paid as long as they weren't able to play? Why is an injury guarantee such a big deal when contract are announced?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

his contract next year is fully guaranteed too if he's injured this year, and part of his 2018 salary

so if he plays this year and gets a major injury, the team his to pay him almost 20 million dollars, plus whatever he is still owed this season

if he didn't have those guarantees, and suffered a major injury, they would just have to pay this years remainder

keep in mind, he's only still on the team because of the protest, if the team cuts him now, they look like assholes. he was days away from being cut when he took a knee. very shrewd business move

the team is going to dump him this offseason, they can't take a 20 million dollar gamble on a major injury

This relates to the team not wanting his huge salary becoming guaranteed if he starts playing again...because that was worked into his previous contract, since he was a mobile QB he wanted protection in case he suffered a significant injury that might threaten his career.

Now that the Niners have basically said they really don't want him long term anymore, they don't want to be on the hook if he plays and gets hurt now. So, if Kaep wants to start again and audition for a new team during this "lost year" for the Niners, he's going to have to wave that clause...otherwise the Niners can't risk putting him on the field and potentially being on the hook for an additional $18M or whatever if he gets hurt.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    he was days away from being cut when he took a knee. very shrewd business move
    He's taking a principled stand, damn it! This is only because of his DEEP DEEP PERSONAL CONCERN...which wasn't really there until he was about to be cut...but DAMN IT, HE'S A SAINT!
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

There is a little more schadenfreude to go around than just the kneeling.

He signed a contract that was immediately ridiculed for being too team friendly and guarantees that still made it a year to year deal. He is going to get most of those backloaded guarantees. In exchange for lowering the guaranteed number and the cap hit, he is going to get a boatload of cash.

Remember genius boy Trent Baalke is at work here, the one who pushed Scot McCloughan out of his job and then took credit for McCloughan's exceptional drafting.

And the only reason he survived not being able to be traded is that there are no other functional QBs on the roster.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

they aren't doing anything this year so play anyone but him and cut him before next season.

How about the more general case - Mr Smith, cornertackle extraordinaire has a 3 yr $3m contract with no guarantees (cornertackles are a dime a dozen) and blows out his Achilles ligament cuff in his first game and never ends up dressing again - how much does he get?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    As a one share owner, I often found the annual shareholder meeting to be extremely tedious. But three or so years ago, Kap started showing up.

I asked Kap, "Yo, Kap, whacha doing here?"

"What, you ain't never seen a brotha at these meetings before?" Kap replied. "Seriously, dude, I own the Packers!"

"Fair enough," said I. We bumped the fists. Then we joked 'bout Kap throwing the rock right at #33, Mr. Hyde.

Hades have mercy on us all if Kap ends up in Chicago next season.
    Last edited by Anti-Polar Bear; 10-08-2016 at 05:08 PM.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    How about the more general case - Mr Smith, cornertackle extraordinaire has a 3 yr $3m contract with no guarantees (cornertackles are a dime a dozen) and blows out his Achilles ligament cuff in his first game and never ends up dressing again - how much does he get?
    depends on how the contract was structured

but generally, he would get his signing bonus, and the remainder of the first year salary

that is all

unless his agent was shrewd enough to get years 2 and 3 also guaranteed for injury

in that case he would get it all

now lets say a guy has that kind of contract and just plain sucks and gets cut after year one, then he gets nothing more.

so, kap would have either been traded this off season or cut if it wasn't for the injury guarantee in the contract (and the guarantee was the reason the trade fell through, cause he was injured at the deadline day and this years contract became fully guaranteed)

so, i think the story said if he's on the team at a certain day in april his contract becomes fully guaranteed for the year, but you can't just cut a guy who's injured. the 49ers don't want to make the same mistake as the made this season by getting a guy they want to cut getting injured so that they can't cut him by that deadline day. so, either they don't play him at all, OR get him to redo his contract getting rid of the injury guarantee so that they can play him without risk of owing him a giant salary next year that would prevent him from being cut or traded
    Last edited by red; 10-08-2016 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    As a one share owner, I often found the annual shareholder meeting to be extremely tedious. But three or so years ago, Kap started showing up.

I asked Kap, "Yo, Kap, whacha doing here?"

"What, you ain't never seen a brotha at these meetings before?" Kap replied. "Seriously, dude, I own the Packers!"

"Fair enough," said I. We bumped the fists. Then we joked 'bout Kap throwing the rock right at #33, Mr. Hyde.

Hades have mercy on us all if Kap ends up in Chicago next season.
    whats lost in all of this is that kap is just not a good NFL QB except when he plays GB

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    whats lost in all of this is that kap is just not a good NFL QB except when he plays GB
    Like most QB's in the NFL