Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming roster decisions

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Give Sam Shields the helmet that Aaron Rodgers uses.
    Either that, or teach him to tackle like Deion Sanders.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Either that, or teach him to tackle like Deion Sanders.
    Deion used bad technique too. Teach him to tackle like Richard Sherman, grab the guy and slide and twist behind the ball carrier to keep your head out of the way.

Stop diving at people's legs.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    You never know how it can happen, like last year's head bash on the hard surface out of bounds, but when he does tackle he needs to keep his head up and not lead with it. And either get the Rodgers helmet or go with the Great Gazoo.

Steve Tasker style maybe.

I suspect that PS position will go a TE. Mitchell Henry was waived with an injury settlement due to a broken finger. If healthy, he would be a possibility. Kennard Backman is also a free agent.
    Mitchell Henry probably isn't an option yet for quite a while. The original team can't resign a player they settled with for six weeks plus the length of the injury settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    You never know how it can happen, like last year's head bash on the hard surface out of bounds, but when he does tackle he needs to keep his head up and not lead with it. And either get the Rodgers helmet or go with the Great Gazoo.

^^^^Isn't that Mark Kelso?

Blog Entries
    Oops. Could be. I thought it was Tasker.

People in this forum seem too hyper over the concussion thing. I've seen it many times regarding Abbrederis; Now the same with Shields. Maybe his career will turn to shit, but as likely as not, he will go on for a decent period without incident. Speculation by a bunch of know-nothings serves no useful purpose.

Regarding Josh Hawkins, I really hope they don't get rid of him. The Packers have a history - disturbing IMO - of keeping less athletic "safe" players, and letting higher potential ones go or sitting them ad infinitum. Shields was one of very few players over the years where they departed from this and went with the high potential guy, and look how that turned out. I really like the coverage skills I see in Hawkins. I see him as having a higher ceiling that Randall and maybe Rollins.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    People in this forum seem too hyper over the concussion thing. I've seen it many times regarding Abbrederis; Now the same with Shields. Maybe his career will turn to shit, but as likely as not, he will go on for a decent period without incident. Speculation by a bunch of know-nothings serves no useful purpose.

Regarding Josh Hawkins, I really hope they don't get rid of him. The Packers have a history - disturbing IMO - of keeping less athletic "safe" players, and letting higher potential ones go or sitting them ad infinitum. Shields was one of very few players over the years where they departed from this and went with the high potential guy, and look how that turned out. I really like the coverage skills I see in Hawkins. I see him as having a higher ceiling that Randall and maybe Rollins.
    Then what are we doing here?

Then what are we doing here?
    Good Point, but sometimes it seems like I'm reading crap from a bunch of silly old ladies who get all worked up over very little. I would assume there are a helluva lot of players great and not so great around the league in the same boat as Shields and Abbrederis, and 1 or 3 or 5 years from now, most of them will still be keeping on keeping on.

Blog Entries
    The Packers have a history - disturbing IMO - of keeping less athletic "safe" players, and letting higher potential ones go or sitting them ad infinitum.
    Can you expound on this history some more? With the possible exception of Janis, who remains young and may yet earn his opportunities, I'm coming up blank.
    Last edited by vince; 09-27-2016 at 11:15 PM.

Can you expound on this history some more? With the possible exception of Janis, who remains young and may yet earn his opportunities, I'm coming up blank.
    Gosh, I was going to bed. Now I have to do some thinking and digging hahahahaha.

The first thing that pops into my head is taking A.J. Hawk over Vernon Davis. I'm sitting here yawning too much. Maybe somebody else can think of some other examples.

Blog Entries
    That doesn't even meet your own description.

Charles Johnson - 43 catches, 622 yds, 2 TD's...That's not Davante Adams' shitty, inconsistent, injury-riddled, can't-get-open production from last year, though it's close. That's the untapped-talent-that-got-away's career-to-date - with two teams not exactly loaded with receiver depth.

Not exactly a history, much less a disturbing one.

There's an extensive history of the exact opposite - guys with no experience but raw, untapped talent that were kept in favor of safer, less talented 3rd or 4th year guys who would undoubtedly make fewer mistakes and be the "safer" choice but who had their shot and just didn't have it or develop quickly enough. It's why the Packers have consistently been among the youngest teams in the league over the last decade. Ted likes his wlld young stallions and consistently gives them every chance possible to learn, grow and play - ready or not. Hopefully there's balance between youth and experience, but Ted pushes young guys onto the field as much or more than anyone in the league.

Even when he misses on picks like everyone else, they've almost always erred toward sticking with raw talent, trying to develop it. When they move on from someone, that guy got more than a fair shot, but was upgraded to a better talent with a higher ceiling - unless in some cases it happened to be old and expensive. A younger and cheaper guy - as long as he has the talent - has often been the choice.

None of the guys they've moved on from have done much of anything elsewhere. A couple linemen on either side of the ball that weren't good enough quickly enough to make the roster have managed to eek out an NFL career, maybe even start here or there.

Sometimes untapped potential gets away - but not from Ted. Not yet anyway. Eventually it'll probably happen - unless he retires first.

Maybe Hawkins will be the first in your history list to get away and be a stud. I hope they keep him - on the roster or at least on the PS if possible. But I also hope his unique talent isn't getting run past, thrown over the top, letting up; assuming the guy will go out of bounds, and then getting stiff-armed into the ground as he looks up and watches the complexion of a game change due to him not being ready for the NFL yet. Fortunately the team overcame it and won the game. He has potential but he is most definitely a project that needs to stay in the barn for awhile yet. This year for sure.
    Last edited by vince; 09-28-2016 at 02:14 AM.

Good Point, but sometimes it seems like I'm reading crap from a bunch of silly old ladies who get all worked up over very little. I would assume there are a helluva lot of players great and not so great around the league in the same boat as Shields and Abbrederis, and 1 or 3 or 5 years from now, most of them will still be keeping on keeping on.
    Discussing the possibility doesn't mean anyone is worked up over it. It will be or won't be, whats wrong with discussing it? I haven't seen any comment that looked like anyone was particularly worried about it. Not much different than discussing the upcoming game/team, who will make the roster or who will be resigned or let go.

Good Point, but sometimes it seems like I'm reading crap from a bunch of silly old ladies who get all worked up over very little.
    You are right, just rub a little dirt on it and get back out there!

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    You are right, just rub a little dirt on it and get back out there!
    Old school. Now they inject the synthetic dirt particles directly into your spinal fluid.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    I think if he gets one more, his career may be done. Teams won't want to take the risk of putting him back on the field.
    I know some concussions are just bad luck, but sometimes it's poor/reckless tackling technique (putting one's head down and driving it into a player...not smart).

Honestly, if the guy has a history of bad tackling technique, unless he can correct it by keeping his head up, I'd tell him to protect himself, even if it means he doesn't make the tackle. I'd prefer if he could use proper technique, but short of that, keep yourself safe and available to play coverage, which is where you are really needed.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Old school. Now they inject the synthetic dirt particles directly into your spinal fluid.
    Shredded retreads?

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Shredded retreads?
    Either that or the recycled athletic shoe rubber they use in Field Turf.

Also helps build up resistance to infection from synthetic fiber burns.

Rick Moranis played for the Bills?

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Time to trade for a vet CB.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.