Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Montgomery's kickoff play

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Well, except that if you're out of bounds on a pass play, the other team doesn't get penalized 38 yards. I really question why a player who is out of bounds should be allowed to touch the ball that is in bounds. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
    What if he just drifted over to catch the ball on the fly, and did, but with one foot out of bounds? Would you rule that differently? The league wants the ball kept in bounds on kickoffs, and established a very significant consequence for failing to do so. For whatever reason, that was important to them. Smart players narrow the field a few more feet on each side. That's about all it is.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    I'm not sure someone like Cobb, from such a backwoods university as Kentucky, would have the intelligence to make such a brilliant play. Only a Stanford alum could deduce such a fabulous ploy.
    Kentucky?

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money baby.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    The league wants the ball kept in bounds on kickoffs, and established a very significant consequence for failing to do so.
    When the ball is kept in play but the player goes out of play before touching it. I think you're right that there was a reason for it but I don't see the logic of penalizing a team for accurately placing a kickoff near the sideline - but not out of bounds - as a strategy for pinning a team back and helping the coverage team succeed. As you said, the penalty is severe if the ball goes out of bounds, but when it doesn't, the risk-reward should be there.

What would be the difference in the same situation with a punt? If the returner goes out of bounds and fields the ball it's a dead ball at that spot I believe correct?

There is no penalty for punting out of bounds, and it doesn't matter what causes the out of bounds to occur. There is a penalty for kickoffs out of bounds, and it doesn't matter what causes the out of bounds to occur. It is consistent in its own way.

Blog Entries
    I guess it makes for an interesting occurrence once every five years or so. I'd love to see someone launch a drop-kick through the uprights in the middle of a play some day.

To me, the kickoff isn't meant to be as strategical as a punt. The team kicking off just scored (unless it is the start of a half) and the purpose of the play is to get the ball to the other team and give their offense a chance to move up the field. I don't think the NFL really wants to have kickoffs regularly near the sideline...which is why they've put in the harsh penalty for OOB kicks, and also have this rule in place. I think the general idea that is being promoted is for most kickoffs to come down somewhere between the numbers instead of having them close to the sidelines.

The live ball forces the return team to make a play on the ball. You can't just take a chance on where it bounces like you would with a punt...hoping it goes out of bounds or into the endzone. Anything close to the sidelines basically has to be fielded by the returner, so this rule helps the returner make the catch without being forced to have to watch the sideline if it is close.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure where one would find the roots of the rule but I do see the possibility of there being too much of an advantage to kicking to the sideline without the strong penalty. That cuts the amount of space and improves the pursuit angles for the coverage teams tremendously, which is obviously why kickers usually angle the kick to one side or the other when they kick to cover rather than through the end zone - even with the added risk of the out of bounds rule. It puts a premium on accuracy and gives the return team a half-assed chance rather than just getting squeezed out of bounds. I'm converted.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    You apparently didn't read my post to start this thread???
    Man, my eyes are not working very well...

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Remember Devin Hester doing this for the Bears a few years back, or was that Cobb for the Packers?

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar
    Obligatory "Cobb did it years ago" post.
    "Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    Remember Devin Hester doing this for the Bears a few years back, or was that Cobb for the Packers?

I think Billy "White Shoes" Johnson was the first but after Harvey pointed out Cobb I watched every kickoff from 1960 until now and Cobb definitely showed up doing it. At that point I was out of it with lack of sleep but I either dreamed it or saw it.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...b-s-smart-play

55-7 Packers on December 23rd, 2012
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

So weird that you found this and posted it. Somebody just mentioned this same play. Fun Fact: It happened on December 23rd, 2012 in a 55-7 Packers win.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...b-s-smart-play

55-7 Packers on December 23rd, 2012
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    I thought that Cobb guy did this
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    I thought that Cobb guy did this

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    So weird that you found this and posted it. Somebody just mentioned this same play. Fun Fact: It happened on December 23rd, 2012 in a 55-7 Packers win.
    What happened?

You guys are too funny.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but if memory serves, Cobb did this a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but if memory serves, Cobb did this a couple years ago.
    Give it a fucking rest already.