Thread: running backs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Is everyone forgetting that Starks had his best season in 2015?

601 yards rushing with a 4.1/carry average.
    392 yards on 43 receptions for a 9.2/reception average.

Maybe Starks fell off the cliff over the off-season, but from his performance last year he should have been expected to be more than adequate as a backup this year, and a decent receiver out of the backfield. He was good as a receiver in college (127 receptions in 3 years) but never had a lot of opportunities with the Packers until 2015.

Whether the fans like it or not, Cobb and Montgomery WILL be used out of the backfield. So long as that continues, there is no reason for a 3rd RB on the roster if the first two are healthy. If Lacy is out this week, GB probably will sign another RB, but it is a wasted roster spot if the #1 and #2 are healthy so long as Cobb and Montgomery continue being used out of the backfield as they have been. It would be different if the #3 RB was the primary KO or punt return man, or was otherwise a beast on special teams, but that not being the case the #3 RB won't be active on game days anyway. If they need him active due to injuries, they will sign one for the week(s) he is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Maybe Starks fell off the cliff over the off-season,
    yes, that's what happened. They should have seen it in preseason and cut him. Not too late to find a better player.

I agree that carrying a #3 is not ideal, but if TT is unwilling to admit his mistake with Starks, then carrying a #3 is better than the situation they have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    yes, that's what happened. They should have seen it in preseason and cut him. Not too late to find a better player.

I agree that carrying a #3 is not ideal, but if TT is unwilling to admit his mistake with Starks, then carrying a #3 is better than the situation they have now.
    Preseason didn't prove anything with respect to Starks. It would have been premature to release him based on 15-20 carries in an offense run by a 3rd or 4th string QB behind 2nd string linemen and linemen who are no longer in the NFL. It might even be premature to give up on him completely based on 4 games so far, but they do need to be working on a contingency plan (and I suspect they have).