Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Packers/Houston Discussion Thread

Packers/Houston Discussion Thread

Packers revolving door at ILB might continue.

Rob Demovsky
    ESPN Staff Writer

The concern over Clay Matthews' shoulder injury is greater than the concern over Aaron Rodgers' hamstring. "I can't say enough about him coming back out there and fighting through what he did," coach Mike McCarthy said.
    Ryan was probably close last week, so perhaps he'll be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Packers revolving door at ILB might continue.

Rob Demovsky
    ESPN Staff Writer

Ryan was probably close last week, so perhaps he'll be back.
    Some clown in Ryan Wood's Packer chat suggested bringing AJ Hawk back.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Some clown in Ryan Wood's Packer chat suggested bringing AJ Hawk back.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Clay is about as fast as Hawk, and at least Hawk isn't made of glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Clay is about as fast as Hawk, and at least Hawk isn't made of glass.
    Your level of hatred for things you love would make an interesting case study.

I'm faster than Hawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Your level of hatred for things you love would make an interesting case study.

I'm faster than Hawk.
    I'm faster than Hawk.

Blog Entries
    Hawk played for the Bengals last season. For some bizarre reason, they would play him on passing downs.

Opponents would sub their best receiving RB and run rainbows on him.

After one really embarrassing down in which Hawk was whipped badly, he was relegated to the pine and got few snaps after that.

It was really a sad end for the boy.

I still don't understand what happened to Hawk. He was much faster and quicker his first couple years, but lost it all soon after. Awful young for a well conditioned athlete to lose so much. Brings back memories of guys like John Jefferson, John Brockington, etc. losing their athletic traits quite young.

Clay, with a bad hamstring is still faster than Hawk, and at least Hawk isn't made of glass.
    FIFY
    Last edited by pbmax; 11-30-2016 at 09:59 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I still don't understand what happened to Hawk. He was much faster and quicker his first couple years, but lost it all soon after. Awful young for a well conditioned athlete to lose so much. Brings back memories of guys like John Jefferson, John Brockington, etc. losing their athletic traits quite young.
    My comment is completely off the wall and possibly controversial, but it might contain a germ of truth...I worry that the Claymaker may be heading down the Hawk path. Both Hawk and Clay are similar athletes in that they maximize their athletic gifts by intense training, etc. When this max training loses its effectiveness due to age (or because of constant injury), these exceptional players come back down to earth.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Packers Reading PackerRats:

“We expect to win every week — regardless of what people think about us, what they say about us. Personally I like it when they don’t like us,” said McCarthy, who drew criticism — along with general manager Ted Thompson, quarterback Aaron Rodgers and others — on social media, on PackerRats, the premier Packer Message Board and in both the state and national media during the team’s longest losing streak since 2008. “It’s hard not to have people like you. Hell, we’re the Green Bay Packers. We take that with a lot of pride."

“We know our fans were upset with what (was) going on. But hell, there’s no one more upset than those men in the locker room. That’s the reality of it. We all want to win. We’re doing everything we can to win; I can promise you that. This group is committed, but hell, we’re 5-6, so let’s not …”

McCarthy cut himself off there, saying he had “a run game meeting to get to” instead of wasting his time publicly psychoanalyzing his team and how it kept the season from spiraling out of control.
    FIFM3, italics.

McCarthy in a nutshell in bold.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    My comment is completely off the wall and possibly controversial, but it might contain a germ of truth...I worry that the Claymaker may be heading down the Hawk path. Both Hawk and Clay are similar athletes in that they maximize their athletic gifts by intense training, etc. When this max training loses its effectiveness due to age (or because of constant injury), these exceptional players come back down to earth.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say?
    Yes. Same might be true with Nelson. But like the first two years with Hawk falling off the cliff, want to see them healthy too. Clay still has his burst, but no top end with that hammy.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Yes. Same might be true with Nelson. But like the first two years with Hawk falling off the cliff, want to see them healthy too. Clay still has his burst, but no top end with that hammy.
    There is one other difference. Hawk could be counted on to be on the field to play. Clay not so much, well unless someone tells him they are shooting a commercial.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Packers Reading PackerRats:

FIFM3, italics.

McCarthy in a nutshell in bold.
    You know I had an inkling of this a week or so ago, after we had a discussion here of doing a study on injuries to figure out why they're happening. Suddenly, Stubby makes a strange, defensive comment at his presser, something to the effect of "And if you think you can figure out the cause of each individual injury...good luck with that."

I guess we'll know for sure if they really pay attention to Packerrats when his players start calling him Stubby, or when he puts Stubby on his office door. hahaha
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

clay should be even better this week hammy-wise but the shoulder is a concern. btw...clay is far from being made of glass. he was blown up full speed, from the blind side, landed on his shoulder, and kept playing. we'd all still be in the hospital had it happened to us. a hammy to deal with every two-three years is no biggie also. he'll probably be back o/s this week.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Perhaps Hawk was just a square peg in a round hole after the arrival of Capers and the nickel heavy 3-4 scheme. Never a thumper, and never a coverage guy. Great...let's play him at ILB. Why try and force the fit of a LB any more than forcing the fit of Aaron Kampman, who is a classic DE in a 4-3? I wonder if TT entertained the thought of trading Hawk when Capers was hired.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Didn't he "bulk up" after a couple of years? I seem to recall a thread or discussion years ago throwing out the idea that his extra weight was slowing him down.

Why isn't Goodson on IR? Wasn't his injury as bad as it looked?

There is one other difference. Hawk could be counted on to be on the field to play.
    You say that like it was a good thing.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    People peak at different times. I think Hawk was hitting his peak in college and simply couldn't get any better even with NFL-level training. Then he started to decline earlier than others at his age. Perhaps Clay is the same way, he hit his peak fast and is simply unable to sustain it. I think we get spoiled with some players that can sustain a high level of excellence (Lawrence Taylor, Ray Lewis, Reggie White, etc) for an extended amount of time and when others cannot match that we think they suck.

Back to the thread topic, if the Packers defense can't shut down one of the shittiest offenses in football (that would be Houston), there's officially no hope for this team this season.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by deake View Post
    Why isn't Goodson on IR? Wasn't his injury as bad as it looked?
    I heard we just resigned Callahan. Maybe Joe is gonna take Goodson's spot?