Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: running backs

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Starks is healthy. Jackson on roster.
    At least they got one serviceable back.

Maybe James Starks will return to the roster and be better than he showed all year. It could happen, maybe earlier he played with nagging injury that has been fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    At least they got one serviceable back.

Maybe James Starks will return to the roster and be better than he showed all year. It could happen, maybe earlier he played with nagging injury that has been fixed.
    Considering that he played only 4 games and had just 24 carries, I'm not sure he had the opportunity to show much, good or bad.

starks and jackson aren't enough. montgonery really isn't a back. wonder why the Joique Bell thing didn't happen?

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    starks and jackson aren't enough. montgonery really isn't a back. wonder why the Joique Bell thing didn't happen?
    If you're talking numbers, they can't carry more than two bottom-of-the-roster RBs.

Reminds me of that old joke, "The food at that restaurant is hideous, but the portions are generous." When it comes to junky backs, portion control is critical.

Maybe Montgomery hasn't been a back, but why can't he be one?

I have been hoping you were right in stating the above. In a way, the following is disappointing. Starks claims his knee was giving him no trouble at all, until one day he woke up to find it swollen:

Green Bay Packers running back James Starks said he wasn’t having any problem with his left knee before or during the New York Giants game.

“It wasn't bothering me, even after the game,” Starks said. “I came to practice, ran, nothing was wrong and then woke up on my day off (and) kind of seen swelling. Told the trainers and stuff as soon as I knew, then we just got it checked out.

“It was kind of like it was messed up so I got it taken care of.”

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...arks/93625844/

^ Might have been giving him more problems than was obvious. If it had no sudden or catastrophic injury, might have been getting slowly worse for some time.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Most likely Starks just done got old.

I'm OK with Action Jackson, at least he hits a hole and goes forward. Whatever Starks can give is a bonus.

i thought we were signing javid best on monday

whatever happened there?

Starks and Jackson is better than nothing. Monty is okay but you're right, he really isn't a RB.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i thought we were signing javid best on monday

whatever happened there?
    He's slower than Starks and James is coming back anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Monty is okay but you're right, he really isn't a RB.
    Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Why not?
    He doesn't look like a low-to-ground, low center of gravity guy that can deal with hits and flailing arms inside the tackles. Does he have thick legs and hips? He does look effective with a little bit of space - draws, pitchs. He is OK as wingback in the shotgun.

Maybe I am seeing him through biased eyes, having set him as a slot WR in my head. He is OK as a role player out of backfield - effective even.

He doesn't look like a low-to-ground, low center of gravity guy that can deal with hits and flailing arms inside the tackles. Does he have thick legs and hips? He does look effective with a little bit of space - draws, pitchs. He is OK as wingback in the shotgun.

Maybe I am seeing him through biased eyes, having set him as a slot WR in my head. He is OK as a role player out of backfield - effective even.
    Several of the predraft evaluations said he might end up as a runningback instead of a WR. Last year one of the reporters in preseason remarked that he looked out of place with the thinner, leaner WRs and was mistaken for a RB by reporters that didn't know him. He's listed at 6'0", 216. Starks is 6'2", 218. I saw Montgomery on one of the Packer talk shows a couple weeks ago, he looked thick and muscular. There was talk last year of using him as a legitimate runner when they started using him in the backfield before his injury.

I suspected at the end of training camp that one of the reasons they had so many WRs on the final roster and just two RBs was that they intended to use Montgomery as more than just a gimmick in the backfield. I don't think his tranistion to RB was just because of the injuries to Lacy and Starks.

I thought he already looked more runningback-like last week. 25-30 carries a game? Probably not, but maybe 10-15 carries.

He really doesn't seem to me to be good enough to become a full-time running back, unless you imagine him as the third-down back we've been clamoring for. He doesn't seem to find holes very well and seems to go down pretty easily, though not as easily as Cobb.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

No reason he can't be a combo RB/WR like Sproles.

If he can block a lick, its the perfect job. Stick him where you get instant mismatch.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    He doesn't seem to find holes very well and seems to go down pretty easily, though not as easily as Cobb.
    He seemed better last week than the first week. He broke tackles, and carried DBs a bit. He even showed patience finding holes. I expect him to get better with experience.

The Green Bay Packers claimed former Seattle Seahawks running back Christine Michael off waivers

The Green Bay Packers claimed former Seattle Seahawks running back Christine Michael off waivers
    Hope I am wrong, but that kid has been all hype and no production so far. Seahawks replaced him with Thomas Rawls as soon as they could.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Hope I am wrong, but that kid has been all hype and no production so far. Seahawks replaced him with Thomas Rawls as soon as they could.
    picking this guy up really makes me think Shields will be guy they take off ir.