Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL AARON THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

OFFICIAL AARON THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

With a little luck and backward compatibility with the in cranium mobile web browsers we will all have Apple install by 2020, this thread will live to 552 Pages like Brett's.

First words by Aaron to Brett upon meeting in Green Bay?

“Good morning, grandpa!”

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/gun...rlman-excerpt/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

So much to love about the cast of characters in this excerpt.

First a caveat, Jeff Pearlman has done some pretty good reporting, but one error stuck out. A misread of the characters in this chapter: describing Ted Thompson as humorless. Publicly, OK, I see where you get that. But if you are telling us how the personalities clashed during this time period, you could get a better description. Thompson's humor might be well hidden and not often on display, it might even border on rudimentary, but its not that he doesn't have one. The coming conflict had little to do with humorlessness.

The characters:

Tom Rosselly taking credit for recommending Rodgers to Thompson after an unscheduled workout. Regardless of actual impact, nice story about how the QB coach at Cal got AR a good mention in GB.

Craig Nall and Najeh Dookie Davenport taking up the cause of old man Favre by knocking rookie Rodgers' attitude. That's two sources with impeccable professional judgement!

Ben Steele, with the team all of 1-2 years and 17 games. Could tell by Rodgers home run trot in the charity softball game that he wasn't humble enough.

Dylan Tomlinson of Gannet Media taking credit for warning Rodgers about Favre, who he openly claims to have loathed from his time covering the team 2003-200?.

Ron Jaworski proving back in 2005 that apparently Greg Cosell and Meril Hoge were the brains of NFL matchup.

A shot at Sherman by Pearlman himself (see first paragraph): Sherman probably did give Favre too long a chain, but it wasn't this one sided. He harnessed Favre to an offense that was run first all the way and the QB went along with it. I suspect Favre went off script a few times with play calls and throws they wished to have back, but Sherman wasn't toothless as presented in this chapter.

JT O'Sullivan is here, Chris Samp, Ruvell Martin, Pepper Burruss, Darrell Bevell, and Donald Driver.
    Last edited by pbmax; 10-14-2016 at 05:21 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Glad Aaron came out on top. Favre had enough of his own glory too. He had a good, long career. Now AR needs to pull his head out of his ass and start playing better. Favre gave up his stubbornness in 2007 and had a good end to his career. AR needs to give up his now.

Is anybody surprised by Rodgers come across as arrogant and Favre a douche bag? This is like Sam Smith's book on Michael Jordan.

The one thing that wasn't mentioned was just how crazy injured the Packers were in 2005. Unlike under Thompson (technically, it was his first year, but he hadn't rebuilt the team yet), Sherman's teams had little depth.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Steele does go on to say that anyone who couldn't see that Rodgers was close to Favre's equal was just fooling themselves.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Obligatory post.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

LONG LIVE ANTON RODGERS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Steele does go on to say that anyone who couldn't see that Rodgers was close to Favre's equal was just fooling themselves.
    I'm certain once Favre saw Rodgers throw the ball he knew this kid was a legit threat to his job!

Sittin' Pretty.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Good read. Remind me to purchase or download this book for the plane ride next time I plan a trip to the Moonlite BunnyRanch.

Totally agree with the author in that Thompson is a humorless man.

Couple of facts I found while reading the excerpt:

1. For a cocky guy, it sure is odd that Rodgers doesn't brag much 'bout his cock.

2. A dude grew up idolizing Favre, gets a chance to catch balls from Favre in TC; Favre pays him little respect. (WTF, Goat?!?! Gotta play with grace in your heart and flowers in your hair!)

I often wonder what the Great Arm of Butte's story would be like had Sherman, then the King of the Pack, pushed hard to draft Benny the Big in 2004. Someone at MMQB reported that Sherman was madly in love with Roethlisberger. Sherman apparently thought Big Ben was out of his league. Didn't take a chance. Two 1st and a 3rd coulda/woulda been more than enough to move up into the top 10.

BTW, anyone interested, my NY Times Bestsellers are available at Amazon.com:

The Wolf of Lombardi Ave.: How Ron Wolf EGOISTICALLY Turned Around a Moribund Packer Franchise

The Polar Bear on Lombardi Ave.: Inside the Incompetence of Ted Thompson

A Bill Tolls for New England: Inside the Competency and Genius of Bill Belichick

The Choker in the Rye: Inside Aaron Rodgers' Futility In The Clutch

A Brief History of Tank: The Life and Times of Tank Elf Duke
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

McGinn has a scathing column on Rodgers today. For the most part I think he's spot on.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    McGinn has a scathing column on Rodgers today. For the most part I think he's spot on.
    Yup. Nothing shocking. It's all been said here by Rats over and over. The only thing McGinn didn't echo of what's been said here is Arod's habit lately of throwing receivers under the bus by his body language after an incompletion.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Yep. I'd be curious to see hundley. Just curious if someone doing the simple things right would be better.

Perhaps Rodgers is past his prime. This slump is becoming chronic and not having a running game to speak of against Dallas is gonna kill us. It is all rather sad and shocking how he can go from being one of the best to one of the worst in less than a calendar year.

As far as planting his back foot from shotgun or a straight dropback, striding into the throw and taking a hit, it almost never happens. Just as Brett Favre fell into poor throwing mechanics later on during the Mike Sherman years, Rodgers is following suit.

You see a lot of all-arm throws, skipping into throws, firing off balance and across his body. He sails one pass, bounces another. At times, his feet don’t work in unison with his torso. His deep-ball accuracy, once extraordinary, has improved somewhat from a year ago when it was embarrassingly bad for a player of his stature.
    It's shocking to me how his mechanics have declined. It used to be what set him apart from the merely good quarterbacks. Is McCarthy not stressing mechanics as he once did, or is Rodgers uncoachable? McCarthy recently got upset in his PC about the perceived negativity others see in his offense. My guess is he knows Rodgers is the main problem, but doesn't want to publicly say it. Favre went through a period like this in 1999-2000, and was able to largely reverse the decline. Rodgers could do it too, but it starts with acknowledging the problem exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    It's shocking to me how his mechanics have declined. It used to be what set him apart from the merely good quarterbacks. Is McCarthy not stressing mechanics as he once did, or is Rodgers uncoachable?
    Do to the limitations on players' contact with coaches during the off-season, MM's QB school has been diluted to being nothing special. MM has complained numerous times that there is no longer time allowed in the off-season to work on QB mechanics. While this seems most applicable to young QBs, it also applies to vets who get in bad habits.

There are a few possible reasons to Rodgers decline imo. 1. he has become "too big for his britches". 2. Stubby has let him get that way. 3. He never was as good as perceived. Although I don't really buy that one. We all agree his mechanics have declined, so I didn't mention that as it's obvious. The real problem is how to fix said mechanics. Stubby obviously isn't going to man up and do it.

It has everything to do with an offense that is constructed on "The Play Begins After 3 Seconds of Pass Blocking". That and bad pass blocking last year.

When they actually ran routes to get someone open, his mechanics look fine and in rhythm.

Rodgers is never going to make it 552 if he doesn't get his shit together.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Rodgers is never going to make it 552 if he doesn't get his shit together.
    Strictly for the purposes of 552, stinking for a while then having a possible resurgence might be the best plan.